Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Brake dust update

I am now about 2,000 miles into the switch to ceramic brake pads.......it's been almost 2 weeks since the car was washed (weather clear and dry) and my wheels are almost as clean as the day they were last washed. That alone has increased my enjoyment of the car tremendously. Performance? There is a slight drop off in performance, but unless you track or autocross the car, you will not notice much difference.......a plus, the brakes are no longer grabby at low speeds. Anyone have a similar story to tell.

OP
B
Thread Starter #3
I went to my local Ford dealer and said I wanted some ceramic pads to fit my ST. They said, "We'll order some for you". They are aftermarket pads, but I never asked the name of the manufacturer. Sorry about that.......I wasn't thinking.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I went to my local Ford dealer and said I wanted some ceramic pads to fit my ST. They said, "We'll order some for you". They are aftermarket pads, but I never asked the name of the manufacturer. Sorry about that.......I wasn't thinking.
Lol no worries but the invoice should have the part number. Useful if you want the same in the future.

PhoenixM3

Status please.

Chuckable

I have Carbotech 1521s (on my street Wilwood set-up) and the brake dust is half that of the OEM pads if not less.

PhoenixM3

I have Carbotech 1521s (on my street Wilwood set-up) and the brake dust is half that of the OEM pads if not less.
Awesome. On another thread, I noticed that Carbotech makes front pads for us "stock" guys.... Good to hear about the much lower dust.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
I have 26,000 miles on my FiST now and will be looking at getting new brake pads soon. Hopefully they won't be as "dirty" as the stock pads. My wheels are a real PITA to keep clean. I hate ridin' "dirty". lol [:p] One thing that has helped with brake dust significantly is after I wash and wax the wheels and calipers, I wipe them down with Rain-X glass cleaner. That cuts down the dust about 50%. I tend to wipe the dust off after about every three days of driving.

MPA

I have 500 miles on the car and, I'm shocked by the amount of brake dust. It's not like I'm railing on the brakes at all.

It's like watching an F1 car sling carbon dust out with every stop. I really like these OEM pads insofar as how they perform... But the dust is alarming!

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I have 500 miles on the car and, I'm shocked by the amount of brake dust. It's not like I'm railing on the brakes at all.
The FoST was the same way when initially introduced. Ford designed the system for performance, which leads to bake dust, and ultimately found that the community would rather sacrifice performance for less cleaning. Then they adopted different pads (sourced from the Escape, iirc) for the '14+ models.

If the FiST sticks around for a few years I could see this happening similarly.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
As the title says.
Here is a brake dust update.

I am on my second set of OE pads.
My brake dust is as good as when the car was new.
I now have 30k miles on it.

It is great to have high quality parts that preform as good as when they were new.
The dust is no more or less.
So I must say that I am very satisfied.

Dave

As the title says.
Here is a brake dust update.

I am on my second set of OE pads.
My brake dust is as good as when the car was new.
I now have 30k miles on it.

It is great to have high quality parts that preform as good as when they were new.
The dust is no more or less.
So I must say that I am very satisfied.

Dave
It's not a bug! It's a feature!

Just went with some of these http://www.powerstop.com/product/power-stop-z16-kit/

Also got them to replace all 4 rotors under warranty since they were unable to resurface them at only 17,500 miles, but upon further research the angled nature of the pads causes the rotors to be grooved and rotors should be replaced with the pads from what I have read.

So anyways, all 4 pads and rotors are new and the pedal is mushy, no bite anymore. I'm sure there will be less brake dust but man I really have to be careful I'm not sure I could even lock the tires up if I had too.

There is a reason they use the OEM pads, caliper size, rotors etc. because they all function together nicely... I can handle it but only because its a city car for business commute. If it was a weekend canyon carver I would need something that has a strong bite, these are sub par pads...unless they screwed up and maybe they did.... I'll bleed the brakes this weekend to make sure I'm getting 100% pedal. Feels super mushy to me...

The pads and rotors are both new so that could be a factor, I didn't do the proper "bed in" procedure because I don't have a place or the time to do that.

Maybe others have had better performance with ceramic pads on these cars, I'll post back if it improves.

J2FoRS

I just use Armorall Rim Protectant spray after each wash. The wheels get dirty along with the car until the next wash, but the brake dust doesn't build up and stick and leave the rims all coated. Meh. I like the performance of the OE pads I wouldn't sacrifice bite for having to wipe my wheels less.

Ford Community Posts