Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Brake help

Hi guys, my stock rotors are pretty cooked after about 40k. I really would like to upgrade if I'm going to replace them anyways.

I got about 600$ for Christmas and want to use it to get my brakes. I could spend 1000$ tops.

I daily it but also autocross and want to heavily dive into autocross this year, and maybe some track days as well.

I saw EBC USR and yellow stuff on whoosh add up to about $580 shipped for front and rear, is there better options for my money?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Last edited:
For pads you can't go wrong with Carbotech! They have street pads, autox specific pads and a selection of track pads. I don't have their street pads but the xp8 pads on track are amazing and grab like crazy! If you don't know which ones to get give them a call and they will direct you to the right ones they have great customer service.

https://ctbrakes.com/

OP
L
Thread Starter #4
For pads you can't go wrong with Carbotech! They have street pads, autox specific pads and a selection of track pads. I don't have their street pads but the xp8 pads on track are amazing and grab like crazy! If you don't know which ones to get give them a call and they will direct you to the right ones they have great customer service.

https://ctbrakes.com/
Any thoughts on rotors? I've heard the stock rotors are really bad, my pads are still like half life and my front rotors have 3mil left before out of spec.

I'm still gonna replace pads too, so thanks for the recommendations 😁

OP
L
Thread Starter #5
I

I'm confused, usually when you do a big brake kit with bigger rotors, you upgrade the caliper too.

Wouldn't this leave a lot of surface on the rotor unused?

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Any thoughts on rotors? I've heard the stock rotors are really bad, my pads are still like half life and my front rotors have 3mil left before out of spec.

I'm still gonna replace pads too, so thanks for the recommendations [emoji16]
I would go with plain old centric rotors or even the cryo treated ones if you can spend a little extra, they are inexpensive and do the job there's no need for slotted or drilled rotors, you are going to get the most performance out of pads. And having a separate pair for road and track or even the special auto x ones will go a long way.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

cxwrench

I

I'm confused, usually when you do a big brake kit with bigger rotors, you upgrade the caliper too.

Wouldn't this leave a lot of surface on the rotor unused?
You don't have to upgrade the caliper to get more power. Larger rotor=more leverage. Simple physics. If you go larger rotor AND bigger caliper/bigger pads/more swept area you get even more power.

OP
L
Thread Starter #9
You don't have to upgrade the caliper to get more power. Larger rotor=more leverage. Simple physics. If you go larger rotor AND bigger caliper/bigger pads/more swept area you get even more power.
Do you think it'd perform / same vs ebc slotted rotors with yellow stuff pads? It's like $200 cheaper to do that, vs doing stock pads with the golden coast kit.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Do you think it'd perform / same vs ebc slotted rotors with yellow stuff pads? It's like $200 cheaper to do that, vs doing stock pads with the golden coast kit.
Yellow stuff pads are great for the track (and, I assume, autocross), but they're very dusty for a daily driver -- the usual tradeoff. I haven't used EBC rotors, but I like the Stoptech slotted rotors and they're less expensive

OP
L
Thread Starter #11
Yellow stuff pads are great for the track (and, I assume, autocross), but they're very dusty for a daily driver -- the usual tradeoff. I haven't used EBC rotors, but I like the Stoptech slotted rotors and they're less expensive
The site I was looking at buying from (Whoosh) was only like 70$ cheaper for the Stoptech as they didn't offer free shipping for them. The EBC had free shipping so I might just save the bit of money and get stoptechs.