Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Brakepads

Lays

I recently upgraded to a Whoosh 15" big brake kit, and SVT rear conversion, but I'm still able to fade the brakes on a rip down the mountain on my way home from work the other night. (I've already bedded in the brakes after a few hundred miles of street driving normally)

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on upgrades, I currently have EBC Yellows in the rear, and I guess the pads that come with the Whoosh BBK are close to EBC Reds.

The car makes roughly 370 whp, and weighs ~2600 pounds without me in it, so I need all the help I can get in the stopping department.

I can use most things from Ferrodo, Carbotech, G.Loc, Hawk etc, in the Whoosh calipers if that helps narrow down decisions.

OP
L

Lays

Thread Starter #3
What fluid are you using?
Amsoil dominator racing fluid, just bled the brakes when I installed the new BBK, the fluid isn't even 2 weeks old in the system yet. Supposed to be 580 F dry boiling point. I'd like to switch to Castrol SRF, but haven't gotten the time yet, figured I'd do it when I get better pads.

I installed some centric post-quiet ceramic pads with stock rotors. Hear me out:

They lack the initial bite of the stock performance or even stock comfort brake pads that are semi-metallic. However, when I apply more pressure they can actually lock up the front wheels. I am using a 205 45 17 Goodyear asymmetric 3 with a 6.7 inch measured tread width.
This means there is enough clamping force and are very progressive (can be quite disconcerting after stock pads tbh).
I am able to module the pressure better for trail braking and actually haven't experienced much brake fade on spirited runs because of judicious brake usage. I am using stock brake fluid PM-20.
I am saying that with the initial bite of race compound pads it because difficult to modulate pressure. I now trail brake better and carry more speed into corners, allowing less brake usage. I might upgrade to better compound tires to carry more speed, reducing brake usage for my application.

I will be testing out some G-Loc r10 and r8 to see if im able to modulate better. These were recommended on some other forums (Grassroots Motorsports?) and on their site as being modulation friendly. I got the set shipped from Damond Motorsport with pre-bedding done on them in stock size for ~370 for all 4 wheels.

Next I will try some brake cooling deflectors. Some have tried Porsche cooling deflectors with success on this forum. Brake cooling will dissipate heat better which is more important that improving thermal capacity with high temp brake fluid and bigger mass.

Also, Matt at Damond motorsports tracks a FocusST. He pointed out that parking a car too soon (like driving into a paddock) without cooling the calipers will boil the fluid more so than actually stopping hard. I think this might be true given that after my runs and trying to cool down at 40mph for about 10 min it is still smoking hot sometimes

Last edited:

kevinatfms

I just installed the Boomba brake deflectors and have a track day on Thursday. I will report back if there is any significant difference.
They work wonders. Brake dust is a total nightmare though. If you thought it was bad before get ready for it now.

TemecFist

Amsoil dominator racing fluid, just bled the brakes when I installed the new BBK, the fluid isn't even 2 weeks old in the system yet. Supposed to be 580 F dry boiling point. I'd like to switch to Castrol SRF, but haven't gotten the time yet, figured I'd do it when I get better pads.
Try some Endless RF65O. Its compressability is way better than RSF. Dont be concerned with the dry point of a fluid, once you open the bottle, it's considered "wet" at that point. The Endless is what they are using (supposedly) in F1. It's amazing stuff. I'm also using the Boomba brake deflectors. Ducting is better, but the deflectors are better than nothing. If I could find some of the shrouds that CM Buildz used to make, I would just do full ducting at this point

OP
L

Lays

Thread Starter #9
Try some Endless RF65O. Its compressability is way better than RSF. Dont be concerned with the dry point of a fluid, once you open the bottle, it's considered "wet" at that point. The Endless is what they are using (supposedly) in F1. It's amazing stuff. I'm also using the Boomba brake deflectors. Ducting is better, but the deflectors are better than nothing. If I could find some of the shrouds that CM Buildz used to make, I would just do full ducting at this point
I don't have OEM control arms, so I'm not sure how the Boomba deflectors would work. :(

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^I believe that the M-Sport World Rally Team is also using the Endless fluid, at least they had their sticker/logo on the cars in the recent past.

And given that they use either Brembo or AP Racing hardware exclusively, it's not on the cars because of them using Endless calipers/rotors (although I've heard that they do use Endless pads in those calipers). [wink]

Last edited:

TemecFist

I don't have OEM control arms, so I'm not sure how the Boomba deflectors would work. :(
Maybe you could drill and tap yours? But drilling into a nice set of control arms would be a no-go for me. Zip ties!!! Lol.

OP
L

Lays

Thread Starter #12
Maybe you could drill and tap yours? But drilling into a nice set of control arms would be a no-go for me. Zip ties!!! Lol.
Maybe, the last time I tried doing some DIY brake ducts, I apparently got them too close to my axle boot, and it ripped the boot open :(

kevinatfms

Dont write off the deflectors that much. There is a video on Youtube of a guy testing a set on an NSX and found 100F drop with just bolt on air deflector plates at my home track(Summit Point Main) which is quite taxing on brakes.

The amount of dust i accumulate on the side of the car after a weekend is 50x worse than the times i didnt have them installed. I keep meaning to try out temp strips/paint and see a before/after but i totally forget to put them on the calipers/rotors.

kevinatfms

Maybe, the last time I tried doing some DIY brake ducts, I apparently got them too close to my axle boot, and it ripped the boot open :(
Try Audi RS3 brake ducts. They are air deflectors like the Boomba but made of plastic, are OE parts so you know they are beefy and are zip tied to the control arms in the Audi which makes them easy to adapt to other applicatons.

Alot of Golf R and GTI guys use them for track use since they are cheap(around $25/ea) and work great.

Do you have those DNA control arms? I know they work but how much abuse can they take over a stock OE control arm is up for debate. It scares me that a bad weld could end your day quite easily in a set of aftermarket control arms where QC isnt taken 1/2 as seriously as OE stamped arms.

OP
L

Lays

Thread Starter #15
Try Audi RS3 brake ducts. They are air deflectors like the Boomba but made of plastic, are OE parts so you know they are beefy and are zip tied to the control arms in the Audi which makes them easy to adapt to other applicatons.

Alot of Golf R and GTI guys use them for track use since they are cheap(around $25/ea) and work great.

Do you have those DNA control arms? I know they work but how much abuse can they take over a stock OE control arm is up for debate. It scares me that a bad weld could end your day quite easily in a set of aftermarket control arms where QC isnt taken 1/2 as seriously as OE stamped arms.
Not DNA, different brand I've been testing that isn't out yet. Hopefully it'll be out soon, all I can say for now 😁

TemecFist

Not DNA, different brand I've been testing that isn't out yet. Hopefully it'll be out soon, all I can say for now 😁
If you are testing the control arms, then it will be super easy to have the manufacturer make an adjustment on them for the Boomba deflectors. That's the type of feedback you should be giving them.

OP
L

Lays

Thread Starter #17
If you are testing the control arms, then it will be super easy to have the manufacturer make an adjustment on them for the Boomba deflectors. That's the type of feedback you should be giving them.
I don't think there'd be enough room, they're huge compared to the OEM or DNA ones! I'll ask though.

In the mean time, I might try carbotech R10 front r8 rear, I've heard some good things about them. If anyone has alternative ideas let me know 😁

Has anyone tried this on the Fiesta? This is very interesting and I may do this.

ronmcdon

hmm ebc reds are not that aggressive no? I like the orange a lot. very streetable and I don't find they make any noise at all. not sure I understand why ebc markets it as 'full race pad' initial bite in not as aggressive as I'd like from say hawk plus but still quite nice.

https://ebcbrakes.com/product/redstuff-brake-pads/
https://ebcbrakes.com/product/orange-stuff/

was considering this setup for brake ducts
https://www.fiestast.net/threads/my-brake-ducts-build.2251/

would have gone that route but my ebc orange f / yellow r, endless fluid, boomba deflectors setup so far has worked real well.

may go with the ducting anyways at some point as really curious to get the dna lca's for fun

Last edited:

kevinatfms

hmm ebc reds are not that aggressive no? I like the orange a lot. very streetable and I don't find they make any noise at all. not sure I understand why ebc markets it as 'full race pad' initial bite in not as aggressive as I'd like from say hawk plus but still quite nice.

https://ebcbrakes.com/product/redstuff-brake-pads/
https://ebcbrakes.com/product/orange-stuff/

was considering this setup for brake ducts
https://www.fiestast.net/threads/my-brake-ducts-build.2251/

would have gone that route but my ebc orange f / yellow r, endless fluid, boomba deflectors setup so far has worked real well.

may go with the ducting anyways at some point as really curious to get the dna lca's for fun
EBC arent agressive at all in any capacity. Youre not going to beat the factory pads when it comes to cold bite. Nothing comes close.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Suspension, Brakes & Chassis 0