Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Brakes for FiST

Time for new brakes. I am thinking Hawk 5.0 pads and Centric disks. Anybody ever tried to replace the solid rotors on the rear with vented? Anybody ever tried to turn the rotors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
I'm on my third pad brake pad set and YET to turn the rotors.

Maybe it's the ceramic pads making the noises, but I think I might need new rotors soon.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
I'm on my third pad brake pad set and YET to turn the rotors.

Maybe it's the ceramic pads making the noises, but I think I might need new rotors soon.

How even is your front pad wear?

I wore out the driver side COMPLETELY (down to the metal! ha!) but the passenger side still had 1/3 pad left.

OP
Old_pablo
Thread Starter #4
How even is your front pad wear?

I wore out the driver side COMPLETELY (down to the metal! ha!) but the passenger side still had 1/3 pad left.
Pretty evenly worn. Passenger side rear must be dragging or something. The four wheel kits look like junk. Motorcraft rotors are eighty a piece front and 60 or so rear. I should think you would get one turn out of the stock rotors but the dealer won’t turn them. The parts guys say that turning is a lost art. Nobody has the machine anymore. So all Motorcraft parts will run for four wheels $450.

koozy

3000 Post Club
OE rotors can be had for $60f and$30r. They can be turned, just need to find a shop that has a machine.

Claiming to not have changed rotors for a period of time is pointless and foolish in terms of safety. The rotors thickness needs to be measured with calipers. The minimum thickness is cast into the side of the rotors.

Last edited:
OP
Old_pablo
Thread Starter #6
Pep boys said he’d turn them if they measured out but his machine was broken and wouldn’t get fixed for two weeks. I am in no hurry. I might wait. I’d really like to try Hawk 5.0. The less I have to spend on rotors the more on pads.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Plenty of great rotors on rockauto.com.
I have done a lot of brake jobs and I always replace rotors 99% of the time, but that's my preference.
What four wheel kits look like junk to you?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
Old_pablo
Thread Starter #8
Plenty of great rotors on rockauto.com.
I have done a lot of brake jobs and I always replace rotors 99% of the time, but that's my preference.
What four wheel kits look like junk to you?

Power Stop Autospecialty. I have heard negative talk. What do you think? Centric has a kit. How about that one? I need a lot of brake. Lots of hilly gravelly roads around here. In town passengers can walk if they don’t like bite. I am leaning toward Motorcraft pads. If I could save on rotors that would be good.

HBEcoBeaST

Power Stop Autospecialty. I have heard negative talk. What do you think? Centric has a kit. How about that one? I need a lot of brake. Lots of hilly gravelly roads around here. In town passengers can walk if they don’t like bite. I am leaning toward Motorcraft pads. If I could save on rotors that would be good. If you like initial bite stick to motorcraft brf 1444 and 1494. Nothing will have the same initial bite. Hawk 5.0 are great and have excellent stopping power, lower dust and 7/10 the initial bite of the motorcrafts. Stay away from any Centric, powerstop, R1Concepts or any ceramic pad. You will

Yo I responded to you in my other brake thread. I ran PowerStop rotors front and back for almost 40,000 miles on both motorcraft and hawk 5.0 front pads. They worked great. Motorcraft pads have the best initial bite and excellent power. Hawk 5.0 pads have 7/10 the initial bite, more modulation and less dust. Any Centric, powerstop, R1Concepts or any ceramic pad won't be up to your standards and will have horrible initial bite and less stopping power. The only other pad I'd recommend is ebc yellow but they are pricey and dust as much as oem.

Get cheap rotors and good pads.

Why do you want vented rotors only in back? Your fronts do most of the braking and your rears shouldn't overheat. Slots will help with water, dirt and debris but will be more effective up front. If you're wearing out rear rotors fast you need to always drive in Sport Mode. Especially in gravel where I'm sure you want rotation, you don't want the computer braking your rear tires trying to keep you straight.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Power Stop Autospecialty. I have heard negative talk. What do you think? Centric has a kit. How about that one? I need a lot of brake. Lots of hilly gravelly roads around here. In town passengers can walk if they don’t like bite. I am leaning toward Motorcraft pads. If I could save on rotors that would be good.

Power stop brake kits are just fine I have installed many sets. With that said I would not use them on the Fiesta. They simply don't have the bite of the OEM Pad. Centric makes good brake rotors. They are $37 for the front, and $21 for the back.
Google RockAuto discount code to get 5% off.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
OE replacement rotors are perfectly fine. It's all in the pads. I'm currently running Power Stop ceramic pads. They stop adequately for 99% of drivers and cars. They do not compare to OEM Summer pads are far as initial bite.

They're not junk. They perfectly good pads for daily driving.

Summer pads are just that good. And dusty.

OP
Old_pablo
Thread Starter #12
Power stop brake kits are just fine I have installed many sets. With that said I would not use them on the Fiesta. They simply don't have the bite of the OEM Pad. Centric makes good brake rotors. They are $37 for the front, and $21 for the back.
Google RockAuto discount code to get 5% off]

Thanks. Motorcraft rotors are lots more expensive than Centric. I am leaning toward Motorcraft pads. Centric rotors. Hope I won’t be disappointed.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Pretty evenly worn. Passenger side rear must be dragging or something. .................................
Turning corners, one wheel will travel farther than the other. So if they're for instance, traveling the same route every morning, and are braking on a long corner(s) down a long hill(s), but for various reasons aren't (traffic, uphill, different route, etc) doing the same on the return trip, over time it could result with notably uneven pad wear. For various reasons I try to do my turning and cornering off the wider pedal.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Im on powerstop front rotors, advance auto rears ( i dont think drilling holes in a solid rotor is a good idea personally) and ebc redstuff pads. I love this combo so far. Might go full powerstop for rotors next.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Centric Cryoed slotted Front rotors and normal Slotted rears with Bobcat 1521 pads from Oakos... no complaints here.