Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Brakes

the duke

Explain.

Autocross is very quick aggressive pulses, there's not much beyond an even pedestrian brake compound couldn't do. As per usual tires would be a better buy. Hell, for the weight I'd go either stock or smaller discs with a low temperature compound for reduced weight. Your braking system can lock the tires up, the limiting factor is the tires/friction with the road. You're not going to be heating the braking hardware much due to low speeds/low braking time so there's not much you need to change. Hell, my track pads don't start to warm up until the 2nd or 3rd run.

Roadcourse? Pending roadcourse design there are a few brands/lines people like. You can get into the intricacies of how the braking force is applied or how grabby/progressive the compound are, progressive fade, etc. Stock summer pads aren't a bad pad and really any track focused pad will provide a better defence against fade, initial bite etc. The limiting factor you'll run into will be brake fluid (It will boil) and in my experience rotors. Personal favorires are Motul RBF 600/660 and Castrol fluid. I warped my stock rotors on my 2nd track day, but swapping to some cheap cryo-treated Centric blanks (Remember, pads and rotors are disposable. Don't overspend if you don't have to!) and I haven't had a problem. Pads are a drivers choice, Stainless Steel lines made little difference. For autocross I never had any issues with brakes and as mentioned above with my roadcourse pads in the first few runs were just a warm up. Autocross is HIGHLY dependent on tires and a close second experience.

We need more information on what you want to do and your budget. It sounds like you just don't fully understand the situation fully yet. Hell, as with most things, pure experience will let you take advantage of even the stock hardware in both instances better. No sense in dumping 2K in a braking system and you're still braking at marker #5.

OP
A
Thread Starter #3
Explain.

Autocross is very quick aggressive pulses, there's not much beyond an even pedestrian brake compound couldn't do. As per usual tires would be a better buy. Hell, for the weight I'd go either stock or smaller discs with a low temperature compound for reduced weight. Your braking system can lock the tires up, the limiting factor is the tires/friction with the road. You're not going to be heating the braking hardware much due to low speeds/low braking time so there's not much you need to change. Hell, my track pads don't start to warm up until the 2nd or 3rd run.

Roadcourse? Pending roadcourse design there are a few brands/lines people like. You can get into the intricacies of how the braking force is applied or how grabby/progressive the compound are, progressive fade, etc. Stock summer pads aren't a bad pad and really any track focused pad will provide a better defence against fade, initial bite etc. The limiting factor you'll run into will be brake fluid (It will boil) and in my experience rotors. Personal favorires are Motul RBF 600/660 and Castrol fluid. I warped my stock rotors on my 2nd track day, but swapping to some cheap cryo-treated Centric blanks (Remember, pads and rotors are disposable. Don't overspend if you don't have to!) and I haven't had a problem. Pads are a drivers choice, Stainless Steel lines made little difference. For autocross I never had any issues with brakes and as mentioned above with my roadcourse pads in the first few runs were just a warm up. Autocross is HIGHLY dependent on tires and a close second experience.

We need more information on what you want to do and your budget. It sounds like you just don't fully understand the situation fully yet. Hell, as with most things, pure experience will let you take advantage of even the stock hardware in both instances better. No sense in dumping 2K in a braking system and you're still braking at marker #5.
Money isn’t a matter for me yet I’m taking the car up to Pittsburgh international race complex hopefully in a few months with a stock setup and see if I enjoy the track if I do I’ll go with a form and function set up for both street and track per say kinda like show and race car if I can make it happen but I’ve never done auto cross but have some track time but not with cars unfortunately

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
There are quite a few big brake setups out there. Below are the ones that Whoosh Motorsports sells but there are others. There is quite a bit of fitment discussion here on the forums, knowing what make/model/size of wheel you are running can make a big difference here.

1582553161943.png

I personally run a kit that pushes the stock calipers out from Gold Coast Automotive: Link Here for the fronts and brackets to do the same for the rears from a SVT Focus.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The Apollo seem to be the easiest Fitting Kit from talking to a EBC Emp.Whether it be stock wheel or Aftermarket wheels.

OP
A
Thread Starter #6
There are quite a few big brake setups out there. Below are the ones that Whoosh Motorsports sells but there are others. There is quite a bit of fitment discussion here on the forums, knowing what make/model/size of wheel you are running can make a big difference here.

View attachment 28131

I personally run a kit that pushes the stock calipers out from Gold Coast Automotive: Link Here for the fronts and brackets to do the same for the rears from a SVT Focus.
How’s the quality of that kit and how do you like it so far is the bigger question

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
How’s the quality of that kit and how do you like it so far is the bigger question
Quality is good. Did require a tiny amount of shims to get everything centered perfectly. It suits my needs but I do not (yet) track my car, just aggressive street and autocross. In reality for my use case something lighter would be better since I am not limited by heat. If I was tracking, the extra mass may very well be a good thing.

OP
A
Thread Starter #9
Quality is good. Did require a tiny amount of shims to get everything centered perfectly. It suits my needs but I do not (yet) track my car, just aggressive street and autocross. In reality for my use case something lighter would be better since I am not limited by heat. If I was tracking, the extra mass may very well be a good thing.
That doesn’t sound bad how long have you had them how do they hold up to noise and dust not that I’m worried about dust but I usually always have someone I. My car don’t need them panicking my brakes aren’t gonna work

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Had them about a year now. Noise and dust are unchanged due to them being the same calipers and pads you were using before, just a bigger rotor. With the pads I use (OEM S) ABS still does not kick on with my sticky tires (RE71R's). If I want even quicker stopping power I could upgrade pads to something even more aggressive but being as this car is my daily, this kit & pad combo is nice.