Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Break-in Completed... TRACK TIME

So,

I finally got through the break in period, 2000kms of light driving. (Man is that tough) went got the oil changed. Holy metal shavings BTW. Anyone who hasn't done there's yet and is >2000kms (>1200mi) do so ASAP.

The track somewhat close to my house was open on Wednesday, so my buddy (drives 350z) and I decided to go to the road course and see what our girls can do.

For starters, holy crap is this car fun. You definitely don't get the full experience until you take it to a circuit, the streets just don't do it justice.

Track was full of vettes, Stang's, STIs, and Miata's. A few civic SIs and 1 VW TDI. Basically, mostly much higher powered cars then our little FiST. I must say though the FiST held its own, and was complemented by at least a half dozen other drivers.

When I first rolled up, guys were looking at me funny, got the impression of WTH is this guy doing at the track in his POS fiesta. Felt kind of out of place with all these big 8s, once she was launched down the track a few times, opinions changed quite quickly.

Kept getting asked if it was a stock, (which it is, bone stock) people were amazed at the power and tossability of this little boosted econobox, and the rumours are true, everyone gets blown away when you say the little FiST holds 21psi.

All in all, an amazing experience, and I thoroughly look forward to doing it again.

For those in Ontario, and perhaps want to go to the same track I went to its called.

Toronto Motorsports Park in Cayuga, ON.

My friend in the 350z brought his GoPro cam. We posted a Videocon YouTube, for anyone who wants to check it out. Here's the link below.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7cqzKOHYH-M

If you watch the video closely at 3:57 you'll see my rear passenger tire lift off the ground, you'll see the torque vectoring nearly stop the tire mid turn as there is no longer road friction. 3 wheelin' the FiST, just like the Stig did on Top Gear.

If anyone wants to go to the track with me one day, feel free to PM me, I'll definitely be going as often as possible this season.

Anyways, enjoy.

OP
boost420
Thread Starter #4

Had Torque App going at the track as well.

OP
boost420
Thread Starter #6
Your coolant was only at 102?

Yep. Ford built this thing right. That was immediately after 5x 3km laps at basically WOT the whole time. Intake temps stayed a few degrees above ambient the whole time as well. The max IAT of 44? is from it sitting after the previous run, starts up hot and cool within minutes. And stays cool the whole way down the track.

iso100

1000 Post Club
Very nice!

I thought torque vectoring was only up front as a poor man's LSD and that it was the stability control that applied brakes to the inside rear as needed.

Did disable stability control completely (holding down the button for 5 seconds) or did you just press it once and put it in sport mode?

I'm asking because I drove mine on a very twisty road at the limits and forgot to turn it off completely. My rear wheels were WAY hot due to the stability control.

iso100

1000 Post Club
And please, for the love of all things automotive, convince your friend in the Z to drive with both hands on the wheel unless he's shifting.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
The temps are not in fahrenheit guys :)
I ran the Dragon a couple times in the wet and left the stab control 100% on, and yea... My back brakes were hating life, lol. Bit it did an amazing job. I'm very impressed with this stability control system.

iso100

1000 Post Club
The temps are not in fahrenheit guys :)
I ran the Dragon a couple times in the wet and left the stab control 100% on, and yea... My back brakes were hating life, lol. Bit it did an amazing job. I'm very impressed with this stability control system.
Oh man, you drove TOTD in the FiST? How did she do?? I'm thinking of taking a trip down there in mine this fall.

OP
boost420
Thread Starter #12
Very nice!

I thought torque vectoring was only up front as a poor man's LSD and that it was the stability control that applied brakes to the inside rear as needed.

Did disable stability control completely (holding down the button for 5 seconds) or did you just press it once and put it in sport mode?

I'm asking because I drove mine on a very twisty road at the limits and forgot to turn it off completely. My rear wheels were WAY hot due to the stability control.
seems you know more than I do, I assumed it was for all 4 wheels. but, having only the power wheels under torque vectoring does make a helluva lot of sense.

I left it in sport mode, so that would have been stability control doing its job. all brakes were quite hot, bit not smoking, like my counterpart in the Z. first run, he parks beside me and has smoke billowing from the front brakes.

apparently he is hard on the brakes and cannot steer with two hands.
And please, for the love of all things automotive, convince your friend in the Z to drive with both hands on the wheel unless he's shifting.