Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Breedt RMM Opinion after install and removal

antarctica24

So, to stave off all the haters, lets remember, I have more time in this car than anyone on this or any other Fiesta Forum. PERIOD.

For those who have just bough the car, or have had it a while and were contemplating doing any upgrades, I want to take a minute and share my experience with the upgrade of the Rear Motor Mount or as sometimes otherwise stated as RMM.

I opted to purchase the Breedt Product Design version of the RMM. First and foremost, this thing looks so good it should not even be installed in the car. it is made of Billet Aluminum and comes with a series 40 and series 60 bushing and is completely serviceable through removing 4 screws. BRILLIANT DESIGN.

Now that I have driven about 600 miles on it and then taken it off. If you are into making your car the most uncomfortable car you have ever driven, you should install the RMM. Anyone on this forum who tries to tell you otherwise is full of themselves.

This thing, locks down the motor and it transfers every vibration back through the car. Everything in the car was shaking and everything was vibrating. It was like having a large cam installed in the car. As a daily driver, not cool.

You have to take my comments into perspective as well. I now have 166,000 miles on the vehicle. I am in the car all day. Others drive it to work and get out, sit for 7 hours and then get back in. And many will dispute what I am saying here. If your making over 300WHP in this car, I am certain this piece would be beneficial. If you are running on the stock turbo with a maximum stage 3 tune, you do not need it. NO I do not side step my clutch. YES I do power shift through the gears just like I would be if I was running the quarter mile, still running on the factory clutch.

The difference between with and without, with, traction is a little better. but, maybe not, with the RMM on the car, I laid down a strip of tire marks over 30 feet for the first time since I bought the car. Without the RMM, I am unable to lay down that 30 foot skid mark. That seems to tell me, better traction without it.

I put the factory one back on, and it is so much smoother. So with that said, if you are not racing your car, not making more than 300 WHP, not running an aftermarket turbo. You do not need this thing.

You certainly have, and spend, more time in your fiesta than mine. That being said I have a Cobb RMM and barely noticed a difference in NVH after install. Slightly when AC is on but that's about it. I think it's important to remember each RMM on the market is a bit different. For instance, people with the Boomba mount complain more about NVH than the Cobb mount.

One last thing. What's harsh to you may not be harsh to someone else regardless of how much time/mileage they may go. Sorry to hear you're unhappy with yours.

Wow. Honest straight talk from a veteran FiST driver. I'm on week 2 on my daily driver with one and have felt the same way. I figure I'll give it a little time to see if it smooths out at all. Appreciate your real world review.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
RMM Opinion after install and removal

If your sensitive, and not serious about racing, I do recommend the cobb RMM.

I think to put the label on all RMM like you have is a bit much. And... Being as your using a Breedt RMM, pretty much no one can relate because your the first person I've ever heard
From that uses it. It does look amazing.

And I do totally agree, anything is going to make it less daily driver friendly, but a 20% increase in vibs vs 75% increase in engine movement control would be worth while with the cobb. Where as stiffer mounts like the boomba ( my fav so far ) prob have like a 50% more vibs but 85% better engine control, and so on ( 2J race mount 75% more vibs, 95% better control ). And on down the line. Where the breedt falls in that, only you can tell us,
But from the sound of it, its gotta be pretty stiff.

Regardless... Thanx a ton for posting up

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
This is more of a review of the Breedt mount and probably an admission to a lack of research.

Scent from Glade Air Freshener

OP
antarctica24

antarctica24

Thread Starter #8
If your sensitive, and not serious about racing, I do recommend the cobb RMM.

I think to put the label on all RMM like you have is a bit much. And... Being as your using a Breedt RMM, pretty much no one can relate because your the first person I've ever heard
From that uses it. It does look amazing.

And I do totally agree, anything is going to make it less daily driver friendly, but a 20% increase in vibs vs 75% increase in engine movement control would be worth while with the cobb. Where as stiffer mounts like the boomba ( my fav so far ) prob have like a 50% more vibs but 85% better engine control, and so on ( 2J race mount 75% more vibs, 95% better control ). And on down the line. Where the breedt falls in that, only you can tell us,
But from the sound of it, its gotta be pretty stiff.

Regardless... Thanx a ton for posting up your experience :)

Cyborg turbo, TBE, panda TR6 intercooler, drop in green filter.
245whp 293Tq V-dyno
13.3@104mph
Yeah, ok, kind of hard to argue that it is my opinion. And I completely, regardless of what I say below agree 100 percent with what your saying. I have had, as you know, much bigger setups, and I think the lobe sep on my cam was 112. So the car was not so smooth that I could have balanced an egg on the hood. What I experienced today was not tolerable. Actually to be quite honest, it was the first time ever since buying the car, even after the accident, that when I got home, I wanted out of the car, and did not want to get back in it to go to the store to get dinner.

Now, with that said, if Hijinx, is claiming his doesn't do that, then I have to ask how much control is the COBB piece giving over stock? This thing had my motor so secured, that I believe while running I could have balanced an egg on its fat end standing up. The motor under rev was not moving at all. Obviously I am not the first one to use it, Pumaspeed sells them as well. Under acceleration there is a difference, and when coming out of a corner, and going straight to throttle, there was a difference in how quickly and authoritatively the engine responded to throttle. But when I switched back, not enough authority to justify the vibrations it created. And if I take what Hijinx says about his, how much better could the cobb piece be over the stock piece?

And how stiff was it, that the instructions said, if the 40 is not stiff enough use the 60 bushing. OMG. I cant even imagine. At Idle, the car literally was shaking everywhere. If you are racing your vehicle, this is the RMM to have. And I am not going to sell mine, Im going to give it some time and try again because I can see the benefit, should I decide to power up.

I think I really wanted to just share with those who are not power hungry and just want to make some minor upgrades and enjoy the car. I have made the argument over and over again, about this chassis, and the power we are creating and asking the chassis to deal with it. I stand by what I said, if you are making more than 300WHP, this is the piece you need. If you are on the stock turbo, at stage 3 or less, I really do not believe you need one from any manufacturer. I don't believe you are doing anything to the motor to justify sacrificing the ride. Any more engine control with this thing, and we would be talking about pouring cement in the engine compartment.

OP
antarctica24

antarctica24

Thread Starter #9
This is more of a review of the Breedt mount and probably an admission to a lack of research.

Must we?????? You really think I just went out and blindfolded myself and said inny Minnie miny moe, and picked one out. We had this conversation. Prior to installing this piece, I have never experienced any of the things you and others are claiming that the COBB RMM is fixing, short of sidestepping my clutch and I certainly have had time to do so. Where I messed up, was I took you at your word, that the RMM was a needed piece of equipment. That is complete hogwash. Just like Cobb selling their stage 3 mess which includes a downpipe and we both know what power that adds?

If you like your RMM, that's great. This is for those who don't have one and want another opinion.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
This is gonna blow your mind, but... My RMM is stock.

I had a Cobb long ago. I decided I wanted a Boomba and sold my Cobb. I had Boomba on for a week, and absolutely hated it. Took it off, went back to stock and sold it. And guess what? I haven't bottomed out my stock mount...even with drag racing the car. On a daily driver, it's going to come down to preference, it's not a need.

With that said, I'm probably gonna pick up another Cobb mount because I haven't modded my car in a while and I need to scratch the itch.

So, I disagree with your statement that if you're making more than 300whp you need one. After all, DHM made 425whp on the stock one.

OP
antarctica24

antarctica24

Thread Starter #11
Wow. Honest straight talk from a veteran FiST driver. I'm on week 2 on my daily driver with one and have felt the same way. I figure I'll give it a little time to see if it smooths out at all. Appreciate your real world review.
Did your car get louder as well or just pick up in vibration? The funny thing is my stock piece, doesn't look worn out. My buddy suggested maybe taking the stock piece and filling in the gaps with silicone and letting it set overnight to see what that does. Old Hot Rod Trick. Maybe an inbetween. My guess is, your not driving your car like me, so for you to be able to break it in, your probably talking about 20K -30K miles, which for most people would be about 1.5-2 years. If I wait that long, I would need a new spine.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I'm actually running a stock filled mount currently, lol.

Didn't mean that no one has ran the breedt mount,
Just meant your the only person I've personally heard of, meant, spoken with. Which would be to say its the first "review" I've seen, and that review is leading me to believe that even on the soft bushing,
The breedt is still really stiff.

I'm one of the biggest cobb parts critics out there. I only love their tuning solution and not much eLse, if anything.

But I do think the cobb mount has a nice "upgrade" but not harsh feel to it, where as anything past the cobb in stiffness, is picking up more harshness for not a ton more control.

I will say a super tuned stock turbo car is likely harder on the rmm than a bigger turbo car. 354ft. Lbs of torque instantly at 2950rpm vs 280-330ft. Lbs on a nice smooth climb.

(So damn tired of editing that old sig !!)

OP
antarctica24

antarctica24

Thread Starter #13
This is gonna blow your mind, but... My RMM is stock.

I had a Cobb long ago. I decided I wanted a Boomba and sold my Cobb. I had Boomba on for a week, and absolutely hated it. Took it off, went back to stock and sold it. And guess what? I haven't bottomed out my stock mount...even with drag racing the car. On a daily driver, it's going to come down to preference, it's not a need.

With that said, I'm probably gonna pick up another Cobb mount because I haven't modded my car in a while and I need to scratch the itch.

So, I disagree with your statement that if you're making more than 300whp you need one. After all, DHM made 425whp on the stock one.

Well then, if you didn't have one, or the one you had you didn't like and your back to stock, why open your mouth? If you cant contribute anything useful to the conversation, don't contribute at all. I guess just trying to keep your post numbers high.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Well then, if you didn't have one, or the one you had you didn't like and your back to stock, why open your mouth? If you cant contribute anything useful to the conversation, don't contribute at all. I guess just trying to keep your post numbers high.
Because you're a hack. Excuse me...has-been.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I love my Cobb RMM. A significant improvement in overall feel with a minimal and nearly non-existent increase in NVH. The majority seem to go with it and that's probably for good reason. Maybe this thread is an example of why no one has bought or at least even recommended the Breedt?

Fwiw, having the most miles on the platform doesn't necessarily qualify you as the most experienced, especially seems how you only started modding a few thousand miles ago. It doesn't mean your opinion isn't worth anything but don't forget that you thought it was MAF-tuned for about 160k of those miles. Not trying to start anything, just adding some perspective.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Also, I like how you had the thread title changed after you realized you were wrong.

And also i guarantee you that the rmm would have broken in AMD settled down. My boomba was HARSH in the beginning. Straight awful. After 3 k miles (which should be easy for you being such a vet here) it is smooth and easy. Girl doesn't even notice when she is in the car. Thought I had replaced it again.

But hey go ranting its fun

Wait, isn't it general consensus that pretty much every mount takes at a minimum of a thousand miles to break in. You took it off at half of that. I will say having ridden in a car with a COBB it felt like stock, though we never had the AC on, but no bottoming out on hard launches. Then again I have daily driven for years on solid motor mounts and coil overs in my 240sx, now that is harsh, and what you describe would be better. The FiST is such a cushy car yet not at all mushy.

Did your car get louder as well or just pick up in vibration? The funny thing is my stock piece, doesn't look worn out. My buddy suggested maybe taking the stock piece and filling in the gaps with silicone and letting it set overnight to see what that does. Old Hot Rod Trick. Maybe an inbetween. My guess is, your not driving your car like me, so for you to be able to break it in, your probably talking about 20K -30K miles, which for most people would be about 1.5-2 years. If I wait that long, I would need a new spine.
A little of both, actually. Nothing monstrous, but a little more than I expected. I only drive about 10K miles per year, so we'll see how it goes and keep an eye (and ear) on things!