Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Broken rear shock. Again!

Is anyone else having issues with the rear shocks? I'm on my 2nd set, once again the rear shocks are done for. I do very light driving to and from work. No modifications whatsoever. But ever few months the shocks begin to make a "lunging" noise. Previously I found that my original pair failed and began to bottom out in the tube causing this noise. Now the rest is unstable again, especially when changing lanes, it will begin to wiggle.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

No, but every time I drive on city streets (which is often), I think my shocks are broken. It makes me want to get out of the car and check to see if they're leaking, etc. And when I drive over things like railroad tracks, boy the FiST just wants to dive in different directions based on the uneven road surfaces. But that's clearly not your issue...

Are you carrying a lot of weight/gear?

OP
D
Thread Starter #3
No extra weight, even the spare wheel and Jack are removed.

OP
D
Thread Starter #4
My apologies, the rear shocks make a "pinging" noise. When it is hot, the rear shock will start to make noise going up or down driveways whilst turning.

OP
D
Thread Starter #5
Close to the sound of a wood nail hitting tile, more pronounced though.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Are the springs broken or just coming unseated? Vehicle is designed to have a certain amount of weight back there. Saving a few cents on fuel isn't worth rolling without spare wheel and tire. I'd throw that back in.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Do these cars have a rubber isolator/ mount on the rear shocks that's held in place with a single nut on the top? If so that upper mount could be "blown" causing the metallic pinging. It's a common problem I remember from owning my mk1 focus. Since the mount is a rubber wrapped washer with a small air gap. Over time the washer would cut through the rubber, or compress it to the point it made contact with the body.