Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Build advise 350-375 WHP

I currently have a 2014 ST with Cobb intake, intercooler, catted turbo back exhaust and rear motor mount. My goal is 350-375 WHP and I'm looking for advice.

Right now I'm thinking about adding a Whoosh Motorsports hybrid turbo, Whoosh Motorsports single port auxiliary fuel kit and a MFactory Helical limited slip differentia. My friend who will be helping me with the build is trying to convince me to get cams, springs, head studs, pistons and rods because that's "the right way" to do a build if you want it to last.

So I'm just asking for insight from people with experience on what route I should take. Should I go all out and do forged internals? Or is a better turbo, fuel system and LSD enough to run 350-375 without issues? Also when it comes to turbos I like the idea of the quick spool time of the hybrid turbos but are big turbos better? And if anyone else has any recommendations on what I would need to run 375 WHP reliably I'd love to hear what I can add!

wetwea33

I currently have a 2014 ST with Cobb intake, intercooler, catted turbo back exhaust and rear motor mount. My goal is 350-375 WHP and I'm looking for advice.

Right now I'm thinking about adding a Whoosh Motorsports hybrid turbo, Whoosh Motorsports single port auxiliary fuel kit and a MFactory Helical limited slip differentia. My friend who will be helping me with the build is trying to convince me to get cams, springs, head studs, pistons and rods because that's "the right way" to do a build if you want it to last.

So I'm just asking for insight from people with experience on what route I should take. Should I go all out and do forged internals? Or is a better turbo, fuel system and LSD enough to run 350-375 without issues? Also when it comes to turbos I like the idea of the quick spool time of the hybrid turbos but are big turbos better? And if anyone else has any recommendations on what I would need to run 375 WHP reliably I'd love to hear what I can add!
You won't hit those numbers with a hybrid. I would go with an s280 or some gtx2860r kit. The s280 is the best bang for your buck. 370whp with an s280 on aux and e50 is an achievable goal if you have a healthy motor. If you can spring for it i would do a 4 port setup or a full di setup but I have a single port and it works great for the budget. At those levels too your clutch is gonna be hanging on for its life.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
Tedicus43
Thread Starter #3
You won't hit those numbers with a hybrid. I would go with an s280 or some gtx2860r kit. The s280 is the best bang for your buck. 370whp with an s280 on aux and e50 is an achievable goal if you have a healthy motor. If you can spring for it i would do a 4 port setup or a full di setup but I have a single port and it works great for the budget. At those levels too your clutch is gonna be hanging on for its life.

Turbo: I've heard alot about the s280 and they seem pretty awesome so I'm not too mad about this info.

Fuel system: Whoosh claims the single port aux fuel system is good for 400+ WHP with the 90lb/hr injectors. Is this not accurate or are the quad port systems just better if they fit the budget?

Clutch: Haha noted, definitely adding clutch to my part list

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

wetwea33

Turbo: I've heard alot about the s280 and they seem pretty awesome so I'm not too mad about this info.

Fuel system: Whoosh claims the single port aux fuel system is good for 400+ WHP with the 90lb/hr injectors. Is this not accurate or are the quad port systems just better if they fit the budget?

Clutch: Haha noted, definitely adding clutch to my part list

Single ports are good for the power range but can have fuel distribution issues when you get up there and some people have popped intake manifolds from backfires. Mine works flawlessly with my s280 tho

Following, i also have the whoosh hybrid and im considering the HPFP upgrade but at 5k feet elevation im not sure how much good it would do, as far as i know the numbers your looking for require either a Garrett or s280 and both need proper fueling the whoosh hybrid i think maxes out at 330 with proper fueling but is also relative to your elevation/weather blah blah..

OP
Tedicus43
Thread Starter #7
I would look at how much money it will take you to get there comfortably (tally up all parts, labor, and tuning), then consider whether you want to dump that much into this car.
The first budget I set was around $5,000 before I looked at anything. I did some research and found Whoosh Motorsports hybrid turbo, Whoosh Motorsports single port auxiliary fuel kit, MFactory Helical limited slip differentia, Mountune Camshaft Kit V2, Wiseco Piston / K1 Rod kit and some ARP head studs came out to around $5,500 to just straight up buy everything from Whoosh's website. I'd like to keep it around that 5k mark but I'm flexible if I need to spend a little more. I have a friend at a machine shop who said he'd get me a good deal on machine work and short block assembly, I still need to find a price point for a tune.

OP
Tedicus43
Thread Starter #8
Single ports are good for the power range but can have fuel distribution issues when you get up there and some people have popped intake manifolds from backfires. Mine works flawlessly with my s280 tho

Oof, alright good to know. I'll look into some other fuel systems and see what I can find. Thanks for the info

OP
Tedicus43
Thread Starter #9
Following, i also have the whoosh hybrid and im considering the HPFP upgrade but at 5k feet elevation im not sure how much good it would do, as far as i know the numbers your looking for require either a Garrett or s280 and both need proper fueling the whoosh hybrid i think maxes out at 330 with proper fueling but is also relative to your elevation/weather blah blah..
This makes sense, I guess big turbo it is! I expect to have a harder time with me living in Colorado.

This makes sense, I guess big turbo it is! I expect to have a harder time with me living in Colorado.

Thats exactly where im at so now for sure you need either the s280 or a Garrett id personally go with s280 its basically a bolt on and keeps the same spool time, your gonna need ethanol and either the four port aux or do some research on the HPFP upgrade and injector combo,,, im sitting close to 300 now on e30 and ive seen alot of people daily 350 stock everything including clutch but once you go beyond that is where it starts putting some strain on the parts

OP
Tedicus43
Thread Starter #11
Thats exactly where im at so now for sure you need either the s280 or a Garrett id personally go with s280 its basically a bolt on and keeps the same spool time, your gonna need ethanol and either the four port aux or do some research on the HPFP upgrade and injector combo,,, im sitting close to 300 now on e30 and ive seen alot of people daily 350 stock everything including clutch but once you go beyond that is where it starts putting some strain on the parts
The PERON STG4 GTX2860R kit on whoosh looks really nice, it comes with an exhaust manifold and a catless downpipe so I'm leaning towards that. And I think I'm going to have to go with a four port aux fuel system from what I've been hearing. I haven't heard anyone say anything about internals, will they hold up at 350?

#ColoradoGang

The PERON STG4 GTX2860R kit on whoosh looks really nice, it comes with an exhaust manifold and a catless downpipe so I'm leaning towards that. And I think I'm going to have to go with a four port aux fuel system from what I've been hearing. I haven't heard anyone say anything about internals, will they hold up at 350?

#ColoradoGang

From everything ive seen and read 350 can be daily'd no problem its once you hit 370-400+ where things seem to throw a fit i havnt seen any motor issues in the sub 400 builds and even the trans holds up but again im personally at 300 so i dont have first hand experience theres a couple of big turbo guys on here though im sure someone could chime in, also when/if they do maybe we could get some advice on how they manage traction cause THATS a war in itself

#GangGang

OP
Tedicus43
Thread Starter #13
From everything ive seen and read 350 can be daily'd no problem its once you hit 370-400+ where things seem to throw a fit i havnt seen any motor issues in the sub 400 builds and even the trans holds up but again im personally at 300 so i dont have first hand experience theres a couple of big turbo guys on here though im sure someone could chime in, also when/if they do maybe we could get some advice on how they manage traction cause THATS a war in itself

#GangGang
I'm for sure getting a limited slip but yeah traction is the main reason I'm hesitant on internals. If I had a Subi then forged internals all the way. But 350 seems like a good place before absolutely requiring internals and having a huge traction issue

The first budget I set was around $5,000 before I looked at anything. I did some research and found Whoosh Motorsports hybrid turbo, Whoosh Motorsports single port auxiliary fuel kit, MFactory Helical limited slip differentia, Mountune Camshaft Kit V2, Wiseco Piston / K1 Rod kit and some ARP head studs came out to around $5,500 to just straight up buy everything from Whoosh's website. I'd like to keep it around that 5k mark but I'm flexible if I need to spend a little more. I have a friend at a machine shop who said he'd get me a good deal on machine work and short block assembly, I still need to find a price point for a tune.
So $5.5k in parts, and how much for labor and to get it custom tuned? If you're shooting for all of this in one go, need to go in with a ballpark figure imo... If you aren't installing that limited slip, aux fuel kit, turbo, and doing all the internal engine work yourself it's going to be expensive.

OP
Tedicus43
Thread Starter #15
So $5.5k in parts, and how much for labor and to get it custom tuned? If you're shooting for all of this in one go, need to go in with a ballpark figure imo... If you aren't installing that limited slip, aux fuel kit, turbo, and doing all the internal engine work yourself it's going to be expensive.
I need help with machine work, assembling the short block and tuning but I don't really have a figure for any of that yet. My machine shop buddy hasn't been able to get me a quote because I haven't decided if I want forged internals vs a stock rebuild. And I haven't called any shops about a tune quote but I'll worry about that when it's ready for a tune. But I'm definitely going to try and do as much install as I can. And I know I need little things like welding my exhaust leak, bov, replacing my windshield... So I know it will be more. 5k is my budget to get the build rolling, I expect it to go up from there but I only want to pull the motor once and cover all my baselines while it's out

OP
Tedicus43
Thread Starter #16
After doing some more research and using the info I've received from this thread I think I've settled on running a Mountune Camshaft Kit V2, Turbo Technics S280 bolt on turbo kit (the gtx2860r kit is more than I want to spend), Peron 4-Port Aux Fuel Kit, Spec Stage3+ clutch kit and a MFactory Helical limited slip differential totaling around $5,310 for parts. If anyone has any more advise or opinions I'd love to hear them, but to my understanding pistons and rods should hold up just fine running 350 and I feel like I have all the other bases covered

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yeah, IF you are going to rebuild the bottom end, it only makes sense to do so with fully forged, high strength parts, and then fully balance the whole assembly.

NO sense in doing it with the same, but new, OEM/factory parts if you are going through all of that bother/expense already, in prep for bigger power. [wink]

Last edited:

wetwea33

After doing some more research and using the info I've received from this thread I think I've settled on running a Mountune Camshaft Kit V2, Turbo Technics S280 bolt on turbo kit (the gtx2860r kit is more than I want to spend), Peron 4-Port Aux Fuel Kit, Spec Stage3+ clutch kit and a MFactory Helical limited slip differential totaling around $5,310 for parts. If anyone has any more advise or opinions I'd love to hear them, but to my understanding pistons and rods should hold up just fine running 350 and I feel like I have all the other bases covered

Absolutely do not buy the cams. They won't pair with that turbo at all and will just move your power band up and defeat the purpose of rubbing a smaller frame turbo. Not needed.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
What about the cylinder head the early models of the 1.6 EcoBoost engine had issues with the cylinder head cracking.
I believe this was updated in the 2016 models of this engine.

Correct me if I'm wrong anybody.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
Tedicus43
Thread Starter #20
Absolutely do not buy the cams. They won't pair with that turbo at all and will just move your power band up and defeat the purpose of rubbing a smaller frame turbo. Not needed.

So ditch cams and do forged pistons and rods instead? Or just ditch both and save money?