Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cabin noise with newly installed CPE dp and exhaust

I recently had my CPE dp and exhaust professionally installed. It sounds great and burples and all that. I like it.

The problem I have is around 2500-2800 rpm when the turbo first starts getting on, the cabin noise gets really loud. It actually hurts my ears. After it gets past this point it kinda levels out and is tolerable.

Anyone else with a CPE exhaust, is this normal? Also is this common in other exhaust systems? If i can't resolve this I'm probably gonna get a different system or just go back to stock. Stock is way too quiet though.

I emailed cpe and waiting on their response. I checked under my car and everything looks fine. No parts touching and no leaks. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

A couple years ago I did a muffler delete and left the resonator on. Around 2600-3000 rpm the resonance was unbearable. Nauseating. Got a Magnaflow put on and it was too quiet. Did a resonator delete and I am very happy.

Getting rid of that resonance is tough while keeping burbles and pops. Mine are mostly gone, but I can live with it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I recently had my CPE dp and exhaust professionally installed. It sounds great and burples and all that. I like it.

The problem I have is around 2500-2800 rpm when the turbo first starts getting on, the cabin noise gets really loud. It actually hurts my ears. After it gets past this point it kinda levels out and is tolerable.

Anyone else with a CPE exhaust, is this normal? Also is this common in other exhaust systems? If i can't resolve this I'm probably gonna get a different system or just go back to stock. Stock is way too quiet though.

I emailed cpe and waiting on their response. I checked under my car and everything looks fine. No parts touching and no leaks. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks
Do you still have the symposer attached and functional??

haste

1000 Post Club
Do you still have the symposer attached and functional??
Yes, the symposer coupled with an aftermarket exhaust can make some not so tolerable noise levels. I was much happier after performing the symposer delete.

OP
S
Thread Starter #5
I just got back from the shop that did the install and CPE got back to me too with a list of things to check. The shop rechecked everything and went over CPE's list and it all checked out okay.

As for the symposer, I actually thought about that too on the drive home. And with you two mentioning it I bet that could be it. Tonight I'm gonna look up how to do the delete and do it tomorrow.

I hope that's what it is. Thanks guys! I was hoping haste would chime in cuz his videos helped me pick out this exhaust. Haha.

Are your rear seat and cargo privacy cover intact? If I remove the cargo cover and fold my seat down I get pretty noticeable drone. With everything in place, it's very quiet. Huge difference.

OP
S
Thread Starter #8
Update. I removed the symposer, well disconnected it. It made a slight difference, but that might have been a placebo effect. I went on my usual drive through the twisties to test it out and the loud booming bass still killing my ears.

My rear seats are up but I didn't have the privacy cover on due to hauling tires last week. Don't think the cover will make the difference, but thanks for the suggestion.

I'm not sure if anything is wrong. Maybe it's just too loud for me. If i keep it under 2k rpm it makes a nice sound that's not too loud. The moment I go into turbo territory at like 1/4 gas pedal or more the crazy bass boom hits me. When I go WOT it definitely has the same loud bass tone throughout the cabin continuously. So maybe that's just what it does.

If anyone is in the CA bay area that has a CPE exhaust and dp I'd love to compare the cabin noise. Then I'd know for sure if something is wrong. If not I'm just gonna put the stock back on and sell this thing.

I have cpe's intercooler/rmm/catted dp/nexus exhaust. Running Cobb OTS stage3 tune

Thanks all.

OP
S
Thread Starter #10
Is there something on the cpe exhaust I can adjust? I was reading about cpe's exhaust on a focus st forum and someone said they tried adjusting the resonator and the stealth pipe.

grnmachine02

That I don't know. i actually tried to get CP-E to sell me just the back end of their exhaust because I wanted the Helmholtz resonator. They declined.

OP
S
Thread Starter #12
I took my brother on a ride so he could tell me if I'm crazy or not. At first he said it sounded alright but then i hit that sweet spot on the rpm band. He was like whoa wtf. It definitely gets to loud in the cabin. We can't even talk.

It sounds like when you have a jug or something and blow over the top. Except it's like going through the whole cabin. Loud bassey tone, resonating from the exhaust tips.

I could record it with my phone but I don't know it will actually convey the sound. Damn the exhaust sounds so good at the low end.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Did you do the symposer delete yet?

Ironically, what you describe is exactly what the Helmholtz resonator in the CP-E system is supposed to eliminate by using a sound theory like what you describe as the 'problem'. [???:)]

I'm wondering if the motor mount is causing unwanted resonance. But I'm telling you, install the privacy cover first!

OP
S
Thread Starter #15
Update 2: Yea I put the cover on a while ago. Didn't help. Did the symposer delete, didn't help.

I pulled the spare tire cover in the trunk and covered the top of the spare tire well with some cheap home depot sound insulation to see if it will make a difference. Still drones loud at 2800.

Might take it to a muffler shop on my days off and see what they say. If they can't help, probably just gonna yank it and save money for a Cobb exhaust or something.

Thanks for all the suggestions all.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Update 2: Yea I put the cover on a while ago. Didn't help. Did the symposer delete, didn't help.

I pulled the spare tire cover in the trunk and covered the top of the spare tire well with some cheap home depot sound insulation to see if it will make a difference. Still drones loud at 2800.

Might take it to a muffler shop on my days off and see what they say. If they can't help, probably just gonna yank it and save money for a Cobb exhaust or something.

Thanks for all the suggestions all.
Damn dude that sucks majorly, I hate to see you get rid of that exhaust, I love mines and glad I picked it over the others. My exhaust does run by the mid brace because it is 3'. Maybe try putting a couple extra washers In there ?

When you're hitting this point of intolerable noise, does it get equally loud outside the car?

What did you end up doing in the way of exhaust hangers? Since the stock ones are wayyyyy too soft, maybe the exhaust shop installed some kind of solid pieces there, causing the ridiculous cabin noise.

I installed the CPE catback about 6 weeks ago, my girlfriend said "it was a waste of money" because it's "not much louder than stock". My point is, it shouldn't be as loud as you're describing unless there was an issue.

OP
S
Thread Starter #18
Update 3: Just got back from the mechanics. We checked for any exhaust leaks using the smoke method through the exhaust. We also looked for any carbon deposites indicating leaks and checked the downpipe to makes sure the crush ring was there. Everything checked out fine. Also checked for touching but couldn't find any even shaking the exhaust crazy.

I'm guessing my tolerance for drone and noise is less than everyone else because I do not feel this is as quiet as everyone says. The mechanic says its just the nature of the beast. A damn shame because I really liked the sounds and burples. Felt like a race car!

Gonna have the exhaust pulled and stock reinstalled tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the input!

-If anyone looking for a barely used CPE exhaust. Pm me. Had it on for a week. Professional installed and removed. Check by two different mechanics and both said it was of high quality. I'm in the bay area.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Oh the quality I can attest for! Very happy with this purchase! Add the [MENTION=4300]Alex@Stratified[/MENTION] crackle and pop tune and this thing just sounds nuts! GLWS:)