Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

California Targets Loud Exhaust with Sound-Activated Camera Enforcement

koozy

3000 Post Club
UYSGETTY IMAGES
  • In an effort to reduce noise pollution, California is set to implement camera-automated exhaust noise enforcement.
  • The pilot program will span from January 2023 to December 2027 and will be tested in six different cities across the state.
  • Camera-enforced fines will be issued only after subsequent violations of the 95- and 80-decibel ceiling for cars and motorcycles, respectively.
Well known for stringent emissions and modification regulations, the California State Legislature has approved a five-year automated enforcement pilot program targeting loud exhaust from cars. If signed by California Governor Gavin Newsom, the camera-enforcement program will begin January 1. The bill specifies six undisclosed cities throughout California to take part in this experimental program.

Before panic sets in among West Coast enthusiasts, it’s important to read the fine print of the nuanced Senate bill. California has long specified the decibel level at which stock or modified exhaust systems are deemed too loud—95 decibels for cars and 80 for motorcycles built after 1985—and this hasn’t changed. What has changed, however, is the means of enforcement.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/techn...aust-with-sound-activated-camera-enforcement/

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Glendale had a clamp down on loud exhausts not too long ago. Looks like it's expanding just like you stated. They had a warning sign on a trailer posted on one of the main streets, Brand.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
"In the meantime, California residents will be making the switch over to the high-pitched hum of electric power anyway."

That's only if we don't have prolonged blackouts where they can't charge their cars!

Ford has already lost $3 billion by going forward with their electric vehicle plan!

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Another revenue generating scheme...

That said some asshole in a clapped out LS400 was driving around in what sounded like no exhaust at all. Sounded like shit, but it was loud - so mission accomplished?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly! Tax and fine the crap out of the motorists to spend on more stupid welfare programs!

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
"In the meantime, California residents will be making the switch over to the high-pitched hum of electric power anyway."

That's only if we don't have prolonged blackouts where they can't charge their cars!

Ford has already lost $3 billion by going forward with their electric vehicle plan!
Well you just tow a diesel generator behind your tesla, duh

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Many of the electronic signs that show people their speed get destroyed. As slow as people drive already, I'm not in disagreement with that; though I'd never destroy property. I can imagine how that sound equipment would get treated. 😄 They always stick those electronic speed signs in sections where speed is irrelevant, instead of sticking them where they'd actually be appreciated. I literally speed up when approaching those poorly placed signs. Put them nearing intersections or blind hills/curves known for wrecks... not a wide-open straightaway with nothing on it. 😂

It's common for sport bike riders to wear ear plugs. My daily-ride sport bike would easily clip 80dB I suspect and yet it isn't nearly as loud as many I've heard around town. The cat, resonator and muffler is all integrated into one unit and most people replace it with just a muffler alone... much louder and emissions well.... Mine remains stock and plan on keeping it as such. The later generations for my motorcycle, separate the exhaust components. Since this adds weight and cost, I suspect it was in direct response to people swapping out the slip-on. Now swapping that out doesn't completely defeat all features of the stock exhaust.

There's a long, sweeping curve near my house that is a favorite for bikes and cars to speed around. It's a boulevard, so the speed limit is 35, but the midnight banzai runners hit it at much higher speeds based on the noise of ricer cars and bikes. There were lots of wrecks, but after a guy on a sport bike lost control in the curve going 70 and smacked into a stopped fire truck, they put yellow flashing lights and electronic speed signs that show your speed and strobe when you go over 35.

The night time noise is even worse now. It's like people are now trying to use the signs to see how fast they can go around the curve.

FJ16

I figured it was pretty clear I live in KS.

And no, I'm definitely not kidding - I have a neighbor 2 doors down that has some straight-piped monstrosity in his garage that he revs endlessly at all times of day. The entire block can hear it and it shakes windows. EVERYONE hates him for it. THAT is the kind of thing I want to disappear. Along with the loud biker Harley morons who blow out eardrums in the name of "my noise is my safety net" bullshit.

I love fast cars, but boy do I hate loud cars.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
That should already be illegal with existing laws??

EDIT: BTW thanks for keeping it civil. It thought it'd quickly go downhill... :)

FJ16

That should already be illegal with existing laws??
It's not the legality that's in question, it's the enforcement. Good luck trying to get cops to enforce noise complaints in my area (my experience is they just dont care).

Intuit

3000 Post Club
"I see" said the blind man. Well, a petition with signatures from neighbors should help with enforcement? Video evidence from nearby neighbs to accompany that? But before going that route, has anyone bothered to talk to this neighbor? I know more often than not, people call the cops FIRST, which merely pisses whoever off... and pissed off people have no incentive to comply. (quite the opposite actually) A "Hey man I love your car but we were hoping you could find a way to minimize the noise?" goes much farther than a "badge and gun" showing up. (at least in most cases anyway)

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I live in a hilly part of LA and we have some idiot on a bike, who lives close by, who insists on wringing out as much noise as he can going to and from his residence over the hill! I hope he becomes a cropper one day involving some idiots who regularly run the Stop signs without even slowing down!