Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Call me old-fashioned, but

ever since I learned to drive, I have used one of those HURST aluminum T-handle shifter 'knobs' (say what you must, but I have it down to a science after a few decades and it is infinitely more comfy than a round knob for me). In fact I have one on my Fiesta SFE, but the SFE does not have the reverse lockout like the ST does.

Can I retrofit the Hurst T-handle shift knob in place of the black COBB one that is on there now (from prev owner)?
Thanks!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If you got one of those shift extenders, with the reverse lockout flange/cutout in the bottom, you could use the t-handle, no problem.

I tried one of those one time on the T56 in my old LS1 Z28, and it just never felt 'right' to me for the 2nd to 3rd, and 4th to 5th shifts.

Last edited:

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
It could be done. Wouldn't be cheap, but you could make it work with the lockout, with a little machining.

I'm kinda with M-Sport fan, though. I can't see how anything but a light, round knob is good for this 6 speed.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
I used to run one in my 1982 Mustang GT. The T-handle was great for banging the 2-3 shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D
Thread Starter #5
For me the key was making sure the 'T' is at the right angle - many install it straight across; it needs to be turned a bit to match the angle of your arm. I'll order the adapter...thank you!

Nothing against the round knobs; they just don't fit me personally as well.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
ever since I learned to drive, I have used one of those HURST aluminum T-handle shifter 'knobs' (say what you must, but I have it down to a science after a few decades and it is infinitely more comfy than a round knob for me). In fact I have one on my Fiesta SFE, but the SFE does not have the reverse lockout like the ST does.

Can I retrofit the Hurst T-handle shift knob in place of the black COBB one that is on there now (from prev owner)?
Thanks!
OK YOU'RE AN OLD FASHIONED BUTT