Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Can I tune over my MP215 tune?

I purchased my 2017 FiST used and it came with the Mountune MP215 package. I'm considering upgrading to a regular AP with a Stratifed/Dizzy/etc tune as I add an intercooler and such. Is it possible to buy a AP and flash over the MP215 tune (storing that MP215 tune as the "stock" tune) or would I need to go to a Ford Dealership to get tuned back to stock first?

Thanks!

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I purchased my 2017 FiST used and it came with the Mountune MP215 package. I'm considering upgrading to a regular AP with a Stratifed/Dizzy/etc tune as I add an intercooler and such. Is it possible to buy a AP and flash over the MP215 tune (storing that MP215 tune as the "stock" tune) or would I need to go to a Ford Dealership to get tuned back to stock first?

Thanks!
Did the car not come with the handset for it? I would uninstall it entirely, sell it, and get a normal AP

Dpro

6000 Post Club

Thanks!
Did the car come with the MTune COBB AP? You have to uninstall the MP215 Tune as its a locked tune. Tunes are flashed into the ecu by the AP. In the MP215 case its a locked MTune AP and thats why it has to be uninstalled. The AP is married to the ECU and you cannot use another one till the current one aka the MTune MP215 one is unmarried
Then you can use any AP and flash any tune you buy.

OP
T
Thread Starter #4
It came with the mTune device, but I couldn't find an option to flash back to stock from the handheld unit. Am I missing it or do I have to take it to a Ford dealership?

Did the car not come with the handset for it? I would uninstall it entirely, sell it, and get a normal AP

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Not really sure. Call mountune.

HBEcoBeaST

You have to select the 'uninstall' option on the AP. There's no 'go back to stock' mode. By uninstalling the AP it deletes the mp215 time off your ecu, reverting you back to stock tune.

I'm not 100% since I have a regular AP but I was confused as well when trying to go back to stock and uninstalling the AP was the solution

OP
T
Thread Starter #8
Called Mountune and they said a Ford dealership would have to over write the stock ECU, however they weren't sure if I could EVER tune it back to the MP215 if a different ROM was used.

I was hoping someone on here as first hand experience with the process and how to proceed.

Not really sure. Call mountune.

Are you worried about having the stock tune to flash back to? Maybe on of the tuners has a stock tune on file and can give it to you as one of the tunes on the AP?

OP
T
Thread Starter #10
If I'm able to buy and use an AP to flash OVER the MP215, then I'm not too worried about having a stock tune to fallback on. I was under the impression that I won't be able to tune with the AP since the mTune unit is married to the ECU. Meaning 1 tuning device available for ECU tuning at any given time.

Are you worried about having the stock tune to flash back to? Maybe on of the tuners has a stock tune on file and can give it to you as one of the tunes on the AP?

My 2015 had the MP215, then the MR230. Installed a regular AP over the MR230 when I got my Revo/TT S242 hybrid turbo. From my experience your initial assumption is correct.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
My 2015 had the MP215, then the MR230. Installed a regular AP over the MR230 when I got my Revo/TT S242 hybrid turbo. From my experience your initial assumption is correct.
If you unmarry the normal AP, does it reinstall the MR230 as the "stock" tune?

Zormecteon

There appears to be confusion between the mp215 tune and the AP device that is sold by mountune as the mtune.

The mp215 tune is LOCKED and can only be undone by an authorized FORD dealer. This will cost. The reason is that it has been CARB approved and does not upset the factory warranty. While the handsets LOOK the same they are programmed differently. The mtune device is the COBB AP rebranded with and includes mountune's custom tunes that CAN be unloaded/modified.

The mp215 is married to the car. Once used that is the only car it will ever function with. IF it becomes necessary to have the tune unloaded (by the dealer) the device can be used to reload the programming on THAT CAR ONLY. The mtune on the other hand can be used on multiple cars, but only ONE AT A TIME. Only after reloading the factory tune on a car on which it has been used can it be transferred to a different automobile.

Hope this clears things up.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
There appears to be confusion between the mp215 tune and the AP device that is sold by mountune as the mtune.

The mp215 tune is LOCKED and can only be undone by an authorized FORD dealer. This will cost. The reason is that it has been CARB approved and does not upset the factory warranty. While the handsets LOOK the same they are programmed differently. The mtune device is the COBB AP rebranded with and includes mountune's custom tunes that CAN be unloaded/modified.

The mp215 is married to the car. Once used that is the only car it will ever function with. IF it becomes necessary to have the tune unloaded (by the dealer) the device can be used to reload the programming on THAT CAR ONLY. The mtune on the other hand can be used on multiple cars, but only ONE AT A TIME. Only after reloading the factory tune on a car on which it has been used can it be transferred to a different automobile.

Hope this clears things up.
Correct except Mountune osells two AP’s the MTune with the MP215 and MR230 and a regular AP with their Customs tunes.

I own the latter as I got with my FB package and no its not a Mtune AP, It does not say MTune on it and it does no say it in the custom tunes loaded into it.

If you look at pics on their site the MTune unit is what comes with the MP215 and MR230 packages the only difference is the MP215 is was CARB approved up till 2016. 2017and up it is not . THe MR230 is not carb legal.

Last edited:

Mikey456

Ive read a lot of threads about this topic and responses because it interests me. From what i understand, Yes you can flash over the Mtune with another AP3 and more than one forum member has when upgrading to another tune. However, if installed the Mtune becomes the “new stock tune” for the car unless you get the key from the dealer to bring it back to stock. However, you can download Cobb stage 0 to bring it back to “simulated” stock tune.

For me personally, If I wanted to do the Mtune I would do the reverse and first buy the AP to download my stock settings. Then go to Mtune. Then flashback to go back to my stock settings if I had to. My 2 cents