Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Can this intercooler be fixed?

I am wondering if it possible to fix the dented inlet on this intercooler? I did some research and read that a pipe expander with heat, or a small hammer might do the trick. I am just a bit concerned as it is cast aluminum and kind of brittle, and the metal is a bit thicker than exhaust pipe. I was hoping someone with some first-hand experience might lend their knowledge?

I can't return as it was purchased as-is.

Thanks for the help!

d22d6d4cee6c46a1a5d5b3b177f06c43 (1).jpg 44cc85843c584e93b42d405ccc164eba (1).jpg

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm not sure I'd even use heat. Work with a couple different sizes of pipe expanders to restore the radius on the flattened area. Make sure that you don't over-expand and give the piece a little time after each couple of cranks on the expander nut. Aluminum doesn't work harden but I'd be gentle because, as you said, the end tanks are cast.

koozy

3000 Post Club
it didn't take heat to put that dent in there and has a good chance of being put back without heat. If you're going to use a generic home mechanic pipe expander you need to be careful not to ruin and render the tool useless, because the expander is held together with a rubber band; and heat will destroy it.

You can also take it to a muffler shop where their expanders don't use rubber bands, so the pipe could be heated and expanded there.

I'd try first without heat. if it cracks no big deal, it can be welded.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I can fix that.....or just find a metallurgist. Or a good benzomatic with a good rubber mallet.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Chapunki
Thread Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys! I decided to bite the bullet and went to Autozone to rent a pipe expander. Overall, pretty happy with the results. I would say it's about 90% fixed, but decided to play it safe and not push my luck. I don't think I will have any issues with leaks.

IMG_20190811_203844205.jpg

koozy

3000 Post Club
you put a big dent in it putting it back, good job. you can get that last bit with a vice grip, but line the pipe with same rubber to not mar the aluminum with the vice grips. as it is, it should be fine to use without worries of leaking.

Another solution would be to use a crescent wrench and close the jaws tight on the fitting, and use the length of the handle as a prybar. I had to do this once to fix a dented exhaust tip a shop damaged, it worked great and didn't mar the surface.