Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Can we talk about Spark Plugs?

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
This topic is kinda new to me. I know the OEM's are garbage (lawn mower plugs basically) and that NGK is the way to go. I have a few questions though. Which ones should I get? I know the Iridium's are usually the go to, but apparently the RUTHENIUM's are better? Has anyone tested these yet / are they worth it? On Whoosh they have plugs that are 6509 and 6510. I gather that the latter option are "one step colder" and are better. But why? What do those numbers mean, and what is the phrase "one step colder" mean? One last thing, what should I get them gapped to? I intend on getting a Dizzytune (BOGO2019) once I get my FMIC changed to the V3, and they say to have them gapped to .028 . Is this correct? Thanks a bunch guys.

Brianmc27

The stock Motorcraft ones definitely aren’t garbage. I ran both them and the NGK 6510 with my Dizzytune and the difference is negligible, IMO.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I don't think there's anything wrong with the Motorcraft plugs. The colder plugs are recommended for aggressive tunes because they are less likely to cause detonation (knock), but they don't cold start as well as the normal plugs, so I wouldn't use them unless your tuner specifically recommends them. .28 gap is recommended regardless of the plugs' temperature.

Oh boy! Do a search in here and if you don’t come up with anything I’d be surprised. 🔎

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
The only reason to go step colder is if you are generating more heat (typically with more boost).

However, at least my previous experience on another platform, my tuner said if I was running ethanol (cools cylinder temps), I didn't need to go step colder.

Running too cold can lead to unburnt fuel and fouled spark plugs. It's just the rate which the plug draws heat from tip of the plug.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
The stock Motorcraft ones definitely aren’t garbage. I ran both them and the NGK 6510 with my Dizzytune and the difference is negligible, IMO.
I thought they were Champion plugs? I'm fairly certain I saw someone mention that they had them in their car. Maybe it was the Facebook page.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Ruthenium is used in an alloy to harden the metal. They will last longer, NGK make performance claims they know cannot be proven, typical marketing....make claims that cannot be proven to be true or not. Are they better, sure if you don't have to change them more often. First we had Platinum, then Iridium, now Ruthenium, a by product of platinum and is used in microscopic portions to harden titanium alloys.

OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
Ruthenium is used in an alloy to harden the metal. They will last longer, NGK make performance claims they know cannot be proven, typical marketing....make claims that cannot be proven to be true or not. Are they better, sure if you don't have to change them more often. First we had Platinum, then Iridium, now Ruthenium, a by product of platinum and is used in microscopic portions to harden titanium alloys.
So I'll probably just get some Iridium's then. I'll change them every so often anyways.

Brianmc27

Well I just bought a Dizzytune sooooooooooo...
Nice! I’m on his stage 1 91 and it’s great!

I’d just order a set from him, pregapped for peace of mind - that’s what I did.

But like I said, it didn’t make much of a difference from OEM for me.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Well I just bought a Dizzytune sooooooooooo...
Ask your tuner then. Don't assume new plugs or step colders are automatically better. He should be aware of any hardware changes so he can help identify any issues.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk