Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cannot update from 1.0 to 3.0!

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I have to go back to the dealer, and if I'm told that I need to buy the part, I will raise hell with Customer Care. I fail to see how these are warranty items. Their software is failing, it has never been tampered with, and its rejecting their software.
Just be affable when you go into the dealership, take a little notebook and write down everything they say. The idea of being "accountable" makes a lot of people uncomfortable, so if you're writing down what they say they are naturally more likely to work with you. They don't want someone that is upset AND has thorough documentation.

Person name/Date/Time:
What you asked
How they replied
etc.

I know it sounds silly but being charming is disarming, while the thought of being held accountable is so far counter to your demeanor that people err on the side of "better be safe than sorry". Dealerships are prone to trying to charge for things they know damn well they could get covered - having the documentation that they tried to "work" you means they might just stop being lazy for a few.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Stay tuned! Maybe I can talk them into a NAV unit haha
I was hoping the same but did not get one. From what I have seen of the Ford Nav on new Mustang I prefer Google, even warns of speed traps now! They order APM based on what is taken out. A new unit has much more memory than the 2016 Non-nav had. According to the Sync people I could take it any time to get it changed as it was Ford's fault it could not be updated via WiFi. I took it still under warranty due to a few warranty items to be done.

Last edited:
OP
Jerickson88

Jerickson88

Thread Starter #23
Well, I called enough that they sent a claim in to research, whatever that means. I talked to 4 ESL operators today.

Try calling Customer Care, Ford promised us Android apps when updated. They never could update a 2016 non-nav due to low memory. They should replace your unit, tell them you kept waiting for the auto-update to fix it.
I have never heard of this - I have owned two FiSTs now and both are/were 2016s with no nav. I successfully updated both Sync3 systems to the newest versions to get Android Auto and not once hit any problems. The worst one was my FoST that I also updated.. I cant recall what it did but it was harder than updating the Fiestas.

Did you start with a fresh USB stick? I made sure to always use a 32gb stick and formatted it to the file system Ford specifies in the 'walk through'. Then I just follow the directions. My current Fiesta ST that I got a few weeks ago took FOREVER to update - I ended up detailing the car for 45 minutes while it ran the update.

Here to help if needed.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I have never heard of this - I have owned two FiSTs now and both are/were 2016s with no nav. I successfully updated both Sync3 systems to the newest versions to get Android Auto and not once hit any problems. The worst one was my FoST that I also updated.. I cant recall what it did but it was harder than updating the Fiestas.

Did you start with a fresh USB stick? I made sure to always use a 32gb stick and formatted it to the file system Ford specifies in the 'walk through'. Then I just follow the directions. My current Fiesta ST that I got a few weeks ago took FOREVER to update - I ended up detailing the car for 45 minutes while it ran the update.

Here to help if needed.
Ford was never able to make the WiFi update work on a non-nav 2016. I stayed on the Sync folks for years and was told have it replaced for years as Ford had no desire to make it work by USB. One of the advertising features was Automatic Wifi updates with a promise of Android Apps when updated. I had no desire to brick my system with a shaky DIY update like many did. Ford replaced it under warranty with an updated system.

Ford was never able to make the WiFi update work on a non-nav 2016. I stayed on the Sync folks for years and was told have it replaced for years as Ford had no desire to make it work by USB. One of the advertising features was Automatic Wifi updates with a promise of Android Apps when updated. I had no desire to brick my system with a shaky DIY update like many did. Ford replaced it under warranty with an updated system.
Yeah Wi-Fi updates never worked for me, I used the USB stick for my non-nav Fiesta STs.