Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

car shakes when braking at certain speed

Hello,
Lately I noticed my car shakes when braking, but only coming down from like 45 - 30 mph. When I brake above that or below that it feels fine. I just did new pads and rotors recently. This just all of a sudden started happening. It didnt happen after I got my alignment done or wheels put on. Any ideas what this could be?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hello,
Lately I noticed my car shakes when braking, but only coming down from like 45 - 30 mph. When I brake above that or below that it feels fine. I just did new pads and rotors recently. This just all of a sudden started happening. It didnt happen after I got my alignment done or wheels put on. Any ideas what this could be?
Either wheels need to be balanced or your Rotors are out of round* NOT WARPED. It happens sometimes with Rotors. They are not bedded correctly to the pads or lug nuts are over torqued causing the premature out of round rotors. If you have an Automotive store around.....you could enquire see if they cut rotors. If you have a micrometer you could measure the rotors thickness and multiple points around the disk and see if there is an large variations. If there is....the rotor is out of round and should be cut to bring it back into Being True on its surface in its entirety. Good luck....keep us up to date!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Does the sensation happen at all speeds, all the way to a complete stop, or does it stop once you get below a certain threshold? Does it occur if you perform a panic stop, or only during gentle, or moderate braking?

Brake vibration is often caused by a stuck pad, or a caliper with a stuck piston. Sometimes the backing plates on pads are too wide to slide easily in the caliper and need to be clearanced (ie. grinded/sanded to fit). This could explain why a new pad became stuck.

The bedding in procedure as suggested by Ford ST is a good idea.

OP
F
Thread Starter #6
Does the sensation happen at all speeds, all the way to a complete stop, or does it stop once you get below a certain threshold? Does it occur if you perform a panic stop, or only during gentle, or moderate braking?

Brake vibration is often caused by a stuck pad, or a caliper with a stuck piston. Sometimes the backing plates on pads are too wide to slide easily in the caliper and need to be clearanced (ie. grinded/sanded to fit). This could explain why a new pad became stuck.

The bedding in procedure as suggested by Ford ST is a good idea.
It seems to only happen under lighter to moderate braking. If I really squeeze the pedal slowing down, I don't feel the shaking. It does stop when a get below like 30 mph even with light braking. It just seems to happen from like 45-30 mph when it's the most noticeable.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hello,
Bed them in.

You might want to check your caliper slide pins. Make sure they are properly greased and not seized.

Sam4

Actually - I think your rotors are warped. Replace them and new pads - pulsing will be gone. Rotors used to be big, thick chunks of metal, not anymore. Thin, vented, grooved, 2-piece, weight-saving.....something has to give!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Actually - I think your rotors are warped. Replace them and new pads - pulsing will be gone. Rotors used to be big, thick chunks of metal, not anymore. Thin, vented, grooved, 2-piece, weight-saving.....something has to give!
NOPE* This is a huge misconception. It takes at least a Temp of 1200-1300 degrees to warp a rotor and there isn't and automotive brake system that can generate that type of heat. They would most likely be out of round if anything.

It seems to only happen under lighter to moderate braking. If I really squeeze the pedal slowing down, I don't feel the shaking. It does stop when a get below like 30 mph even with light braking. It just seems to happen from like 45-30 mph when it's the most noticeable.
I'd defined try the bedding procedure then. Then check that the pads slide easily and as Remi suggested that the pins slide. There's a chance the piston is part of the issue, but I doubt that based in what you've indicated. Based on your reply I doubt the rotors are the issue.

Sam4

NOPE* This is a huge misconception. It takes at least a Temp of 1200-1300 degrees to warp a rotor and there isn't and automotive brake system that can generate that type of heat. They would most likely be out of round if anything.
Out of Round'll work. We're mostly laymen here - it's all an excuse to be in the garage or on the driveway. Just trying to say the rotors are toast and need to be replaced with new pads. Light feathering and riding the middle pedal will get 'em hot too.
I'm really sorry I missed the "new" pads and rotors part..

No disrespect inteneded here Typhoon, but they're still round, they're just not flat any more. It's not like they became square. ;)

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
No disrespect inteneded here Typhoon, but they're still round, they're just not flat any more. It's not like they became square. ;)
Intended*[woot] The rotor could be no longer a TRUE/ Flat surface SO Its out of round ya dingus! just needs to be machined with inspect and it will spin true again as long as the rotors isnt at Discard which is almost impossible being new but then again..CHINA. [party]

I may be a Dingus but I still think rotors get warped and drums get out of round. Luckily we don't have drums to deal with on our little rockets and we can agree to disagree on terminology.[cheers]