Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Car won’t go into gear once started

So just did a clutch and flywheel and slave cylinder change on my mk7 fiesta the car shifts into gear when off but as soon as it fires up it’s like hitting a wall with the selector. If I could get some help on this it’d be much appreciated because it’s my only car at the moment and I would like to have it thanks .

You are going to have to disassemble the transmission, as something was not put together correctly. Sounds like clutch issue; possibly installed the clutch disc the wrong way. Before you tear into it check fluid level just to be sure it's not related to that.

OP
T
Thread Starter #4
Clutch not disengaging, obviously. Either the slave is not applying sufficient force, or there’s something wrong with the pressure plate.

Are you sure the slave is sufficiently bled?
Just was checking on the master cylinder to see if everything was okay with it . I pulled the lines off the back of the firewall and the top one dripped once. The bottom line trickled out fluid for maybe a half second and then started dripping so I pulled it out and held my finger over both holes and started pumping the top and no pressure whatsoever. Wonder what caused the master to go out after I depressurised the system? Whenever I attempted to bleed it I got in the car pumped the clutch a couple times ran up had my vacuum bleeder hooked to the slave nipple then opened it when the vac was at 15lbs and then let it run until the vac quit and repeated probably 10 times. I used the clutch alignment tool that came with the clutch and the clutch disk was marked flywheel side with a sticker so I put that side on the flywheel side. The flywheel itself is pretty straightforward and if it was installed improperly I don’t believe the car would start correct ? And the slave is only two bolts and fits into the side of the trans housing so I’m assuming I’m just having issues getting everything bled and the slave isn’t doing anything to engage the clutch.

I agree it’s not easy to install the parts improperly. I also agree it’s unlikely the master would magically go bad at this point.

Consider changing your bleeding method and see if that helps. I used a Motive pressure bleeder, and it seemed to work well. I made sure pedal was in the up position while bleeding, and I never bothered with pumping it ….. just pushed fluid through until I saw no more air.

Last edited:
OP
T
Thread Starter #6
I agree it’s not easy to install the parts improperly. I also agree it’s unlikely the master would magically go bad at this point.

Consider changing your bleeding method and see if that helps. I used a Motive pressure bleeder, and it seemed to work well. I made sure pedal was in the up position while bleeding, and I never bothered with pumping it ….. just pushed fluid through until I saw no more air.
Can you explain how you did it to me if you would please so I know that I’m doing it correctly?

Can you explain how you did it to me if you would please so I know that I’m doing it correctly?
The Motive bleeder pushes from the top …. Once attached to the reservoir, you pump to about 10 lbs. Then, when you open the bleeder, it pushes fluid and air out. I made sure the pedal was up and did the above …. putting about one bottle of fluid through, which was likely more than I had to.

OP
T
Thread Starter #8
The Motive bleeder pushes from the top …. Once attached to the reservoir, you pump to about 10 lbs. Then, when you open the bleeder, it pushes fluid and air out. I made sure the pedal was up and did the above …. putting about one bottle of fluid through, which was likely more than I had to.
Okay thanks . What did you attach the bleeder to on the reservoir ?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just was checking on the master cylinder to see if everything was okay with it . I pulled the lines off the back of the firewall and the top one dripped once. The bottom line trickled out fluid for maybe a half second and then started dripping so I pulled it out and held my finger over both holes and started pumping the top and no pressure whatsoever. Wonder what caused the master to go out after I depressurised the system? Whenever I attempted to bleed it I got in the car pumped the clutch a couple times ran up had my vacuum bleeder hooked to the slave nipple then opened it when the vac was at 15lbs and then let it run until the vac quit and repeated probably 10 times. I used the clutch alignment tool that came with the clutch and the clutch disk was marked flywheel side with a sticker so I put that side on the flywheel side. The flywheel itself is pretty straightforward and if it was installed improperly I don’t believe the car would start correct ? And the slave is only two bolts and fits into the side of the trans housing so I’m assuming I’m just having issues getting everything bled and the slave isn’t doing anything to engage the clutch.
There is a thread on a similar situation on this...The line that goes from the Master cyl to the slave has a little seal on the end that goes into the Slave Cyl. Sometimes this seal stays in the old Slave or gets lost into the abyss of the engine bay or floor without even knowing. I bought like 3 of these lines for like $13 per line just to have spares a while back and used one when i installed my Clarke Built trans as my seal disappeared. CHECK the end of that line that goes into the slave. ill post pics of what you need to see also.

Attachments

OP
T
Thread Starter #16
There is a thread on a similar situation on this...The line that goes from the Master cyl to the slave has a little seal on the end that goes into the Slave Cyl. Sometimes this seal stays in the old Slave or gets lost into the abyss of the engine bay or floor without even knowing. I bought like 3 of these lines for like $13 per line just to have spares a while back and used one when i installed my Clarke Built trans as my seal disappeared. CHECK the end of that line that goes into the slave. I’ll post pics of what you need to see also.
How much did it cost to get your trans built just out of curiosity 🤷‍♂️

OP
T
Thread Starter #18
On other notes the car still won’t go into gear. I bled probably 2qts of fluid through it and nothing. I also noticed my gear selector has unusual play when shaking side to side in neutral and the car will not go into 2nd or 6th sitting. I also noticed the reverse lockout that when you pull it up to put the car into reverse the second you let go it snaps right back down . Could any of these things be my problem as well ???

On other notes the car still won’t go into gear. I bled probably 2qts of fluid through it and nothing. I also noticed my gear selector has unusual play when shaking side to side in neutral and the car will not go into 2nd or 6th sitting. I also noticed the reverse lockout that when you pull it up to put the car into reverse the second you let go it snaps right back down . Could any of these things be my problem as well ???
Recheck your linkage and make sure it was installed correctly when you reinstalled the transmission. Perhaps it's not a clutch disengagement after all, but the transmission gear selection is FUBAR'd.

OP
T
Thread Starter #20
Recheck your linkage and make sure it was installed correctly when you reinstalled the transmission. Perhaps it's not a clutch disengagement after all, but the transmission gear selection is FUBAR'd.
Which is definitely possible but I don’t see how it could be messed up if the cables are in the bracket and on the correct stubs on the trans no ?

Ford Community Posts