Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Car won’t start

Hi guys my car won’t start and will only turn on if I jump start it, before just trying to turn it on, when I go to push the start button the car starts to crank but then it slowly dies out and then just goes quiet and then my battery completely gets drained, meaning none of my lights will turn on , can’t lock or unlock the car and I can’t open my trunk, once I jump the car it gets reg power again , but then I’ll turn it off and try to turn on right away again, and then it just gives out trying to crank on. Any help is appreciated !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hi guys my car won’t start and will only turn on if I jump start it, before just trying to turn it on, when I go to push the start button the car starts to crank but then it slowly dies out and then just goes quiet and then my battery completely gets drained, meaning none of my lights will turn on , can’t lock or unlock the car and I can’t open my trunk, once I jump the car it gets reg power again , but then I’ll turn it off and try to turn on right away again, and then it just gives out trying to crank on. Any help is appreciated !

How old is the battery? If it's 4 years old id be taking it out and bringing it to the local Autozone...Advanced....NAPA or Oreallys. There they can put it into a battery tester that will charge and check to see if it can hold a charge. Then go from there....

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
C
Thread Starter #3
How old is the battery? If it's 4 years old id be taking it out and bringing it to the local Autozone...Advanced....NAPA or Oreallys. There they can put it into a battery tester that will charge and check to see if it can hold a charge. Then go from there....

Car is barely 2018 with 45k miles! I just hooked up the AP and reading codes: p06E9 engine starter performance , could it really be the starter giving already ??

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Car is barely 2018 with 45k miles! I just hooked up the AP and reading codes: p06E9 engine starter performance , could it really be the starter giving already ??

Get the battery checked anyways to rule it out* If the battery voltage is below a certain level the car doesn't like it and upsets some systems due to it being a Can bus Syste.You might be able to squeeze a cool dealer to help you out if your lucky* Are you the original owner?

OP
C
Thread Starter #5
Get the battery checked anyways to rule it out* If the battery voltage is below a certain level the car doesn't like it and upsets some systems due to it being a Can bus Syste.You might be able to squeeze a cool dealer to help you out if your lucky* Are you the original owner?

Will do thank you!, and yes bought car brand new

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Will do thank you!, and yes bought car brand new

I would see if they would good will it TBH. You never know you might get lucky if your dealer is cool like that....its a 50/50 chance. It may even be covered under powertrain* just maybe as thats 5yr/ 60k. Good luck and keep us up to date!

Disconnect the battery from the car, and take a multimeter to get a voltage reading. A good battery should read 12.6 volts or higher. You can't take an accurate voltage reading with the battery hooked up to this car; not sure why.

When I read voltage with the battery hooked up to this car it shows 12.2v but when I take it out and read voltage it'll show 12.6. My battery is good too.

Zormecteon

This from a google search .. how long do new car batteries last? The manufacturer has no real incentive to put in a long life battery, both to help keep down costs and to keep down weight.

"The average life expectancy of a car battery is three years or so, but there are several factors that can have an impact on that estimate. Even under the most ideal conditions, chemical reactions cause batteries to break down, and your vehicle will likely need a new battery within a few years."

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
This from a google search .. how long do new car batteries last? The manufacturer has no real incentive to put in a long life battery, both to help keep down costs and to keep down weight.

"The average life expectancy of a car battery is three years or so, but there are several factors that can have an impact on that estimate. Even under the most ideal conditions, chemical reactions cause batteries to break down, and your vehicle will likely need a new battery within a few years."
This is why I buy AGM Batteries*

Another thing to keep in mind is that dealerships abuse batteries. Cars sit on their lots for significant periods of time without starting and the charge gradually drops. This damages the battery. Then they jumpstart the car to move it to a different spot on the lot, shutting off the car after say a minute. Repeated jumpstarting isn't great for the battery. Repeat this process for months. It actually surprises me that original batteries in newer vehicles don't have shorter lives.

I've never had a battery last only 3 years, but I believe hotter climates shorten battery lifespans.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Another thing to keep in mind is that dealerships abuse batteries. Cars sit on their lots for significant periods of time without starting and the charge gradually drops. This damages the battery. Then they jumpstart the car to move it to a different spot on the lot, shutting off the car after say a minute. Repeated jumpstarting isn't great for the battery. Repeat this process for months. It actually surprises me that original batteries in newer vehicles don't have shorter lives.

I've never had a battery last only 3 years, but I believe hotter climates shorten battery lifespans.
This was exactly the situation with the first Fiesta ST that I test drove. It was at a country dealership marooned in a sea of pickup trucks. The car clearly had not been driven for months and they had to jump it so we could test drive it. I had the thought at the time that if I bought it I was going to make them give me a new battery, because as you say a battery that has died and been jump-started just isn't the same.
I ended up ordering a new one for a variety of reasons, including the fact that I didn't want a car that had just been sitting around for a long time.

Last edited: