Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Carpeted wheel wells?

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
What is this for? I've seen this while watching detailing vids of other cars, then I buy my own ST and have carpeted inner fender wheels. Why? Sound suppression? The latest JDM fad? A French fashion statement for a world car?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
What is this for? I've seen this while watching detailing vids of other cars, then I buy my own ST and have carpeted inner fender wheels. Why? Sound suppression? The latest JDM fad? A French fashion statement for a world car?
It's Fomoco....not a corvette or Ferrari. It's ferd being frugal as Fu$k. If you haven't found any paint issues already....they will come just give it time.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Are you talking about the mats/material on the OUTSIDE of the car? I'm not sure I'd call it carpet, more of a cloth material or foam even. I'm planning to take mine out.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I do wish that there was a plastic liner option for our rides from the Euro/rest of world versions, but I'm guessing that they also use the fiber liners.

When I work on muddy ARA rallies, these things hold onto the mud, it cakes up in these, and then it drops it all over the wheels/tires for MONTHS after, even if I take a pressure washer to them many times, after the event. [mad]

anticon

I wonder if a heat gun would melt all the loose fibers into more of a smooth surface.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
What is this for? .......... Sound suppression? ..............
Yip. Same reason for the 'mat' lining the bottom of the body of the car. It is effective. For the rear, it also has the side-effect of limiting the amount of car-melt (a.k.a. road-salt) that reaches the upper regions of the strut tower or wheel well body. The liners are also light-weight and easily replaced. Sound-deadening material sprayed onto my previous car, which was normal practice back then, was not only much less effective for deadening sound, but also had the side-effect of sealing in moisture and hiding the rust.

I didn't much like the idea initially, but obviously it has grown on me.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Yip. Same reason for the 'mat' lining the bottom of the body of the car. It is effective. For the rear, it also has the side-effect of limiting the amount of car-melt (a.k.a. road-salt) that reaches the upper regions of the strut tower or wheel well body. The liners are also light-weight and easily replaced. Sound-deadening material sprayed onto my previous car, which was normal practice back then, was not only much less effective for deadening sound, but also had the side-effect of sealing in moisture and hiding the rust.

I didn't much like the idea initially, but obviously it has grown on me.
its like ablative armor for your wheel wells :D

dhminer

2000 Post Club
It's a needle punched nonwoven fabric. Pennies to make, moldable, and provides good sound insulation. It's usually an extruded polyester base aka plastic and making it into a fabric just helps encapsulate air vs molded plastic for more insulation and deadening. You could take a torch to it and melt the surface but that'd totally defeat the purpose.

You'd be shocked how much of this stuff is out there in the world in different forms ranging from geotextiles lining all of our roads to crafting felt to air filters and the damn surgical masks we've grown to love so much in the last 18 months.