Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Catless downpipe on stock exhaust?

Anybody have sound clips? Looking to go catless for the poppy bois, but holding out on a CBE until I upgrade the turbo. Thanks in advance!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Not worth it....keep your money...can loose boost also. The power gains are negligible and I'd wait till Turbo time and get a High flow cat....My thoughts....better places for you to spend your dough. Plus you will save the otters in northwest Alaska and give them the opportunity to learn how to do backflips.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
S
Thread Starter #3
Not worth it....keep your money...can loose boost also. The power gains are negligible and I'd wait till Turbo time and get a High flow cat....My thoughts....better places for you to spend your dough. Plus you will save the otters in northwest Alaska and give them the opportunity to learn how to do backflips.

Anyone with experience with high flow cats (100-200 cell) and pop tunes? Just don't want to blow my stock cat out.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Me...I Ran the Stratified Snap crackle pop tune for 20k with no issues on a stock cat! Now I run a Dizzy tune that's for my Gen2 on a high flow..still good. These tunes are made to not harm the Catalytic converter also. Both stratified and Dizzy tune have talked about it in length. But if you ever go to no cat or high flow a tuner will have to adjust the tune to compensate.

Last edited:
OP
S
Thread Starter #5
Me...I Ran the Stratified Snap crackle pop tune for 20k with no issues on a stock cat! Now I run a Dizzy tune that's for my Gen2 on a high flow..still good. These tunes are made to not harm the Catalytic converter also. Both stratified and Dizzy tune have talked about it in length. But if you ever go to no cat or high flow a tuner will have to adjust the tune to compensate.

Hm, good to know. I have heard that a few people have blow their stock cats out the back of their catback with the pop tune, though. Whether that was attributed to the tune itself or them rev bombing it to 5k and riding it out is up for interpretation I suppose. I'm currently running Dizzy, and he said he's only seen 1 documented cat failure. What threshold do/did you have yours set at?

Erick_V

I have been one of the very few that have blown a stock cat out, a little after 20k miles. I did have a crackle tune, could have been the tune maybe not. I have noticed the pops on my e30 tune are way more mild than my 93 tune that I was running when the cat blew out. I have never heard a crackle pop tune louder than the one I have. The pops on my 93 tune are so loud they hit you in the chest lol

Found a vid for ya

Attachments

OP
S
Thread Starter #7
I have been one of the very few that have blown a stock cat out, a little after 20k miles. I did have a crackle tune, could have been the tune maybe not. I have noticed the pops on my e30 tune are way more mild than my 93 tune that I was running when the cat blew out. I have never heard a crackle pop tune louder than the one I have. The pops on my 93 tune are so loud they hit you in the chest lol

Found a vid for ya
What threshold (RPM wise) were the maps set at when you blew the cats? Also, were they the loud or progressive ones?

Spork1569

Don't touch the cat. If you want more noise, get a crackle tune and an aftermarket exhaust.

You don't need to make 10x more pollution for 3 more hp.
Not to mention the rotten egg smell that will follow you wherever you go. Friend had a catless 370z and that was enough to convince me to always keep at least a sport cat.

Plus being in CA the smog police are always on patrol here lol.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
we run through a literal ton of catless and catted downpipes at whoosh
90+% of the owners purchasing use it with a stock cat back exhaust
we offer adapters, 02 sensor defoulers and new gaskets for a complete pain free install

Erick_V

What threshold (RPM wise) were the maps set at when you blew the cats? Also, were they the loud or progressive ones?
It starts popping at 2.75k to like 6k, loud crackles. To add onto the catless argument I replaced my blown out stocker with a whoosh catted and I feel no difference in power vs catless. Didn't make any changes to my tune or peak boost either. I also get the added benefit of not reeking of gasoline and no worries at inspection time even though I live in Texas and they don't even lift or plug in my vehicle. My whoosh catted downpipe has been on for close to 10k miles and I havent had any issues with the cat

OP
S
Thread Starter #12
It starts popping at 2.75k to like 6k, loud crackles. To add onto the catless argument I replaced my blown out stocker with a whoosh catted and I feel no difference in power vs catless. Didn't make any changes to my tune or peak boost either. I also get the added benefit of not reeking of gasoline and no worries at inspection time even though I live in Texas and they don't even lift or plug in my vehicle. My whoosh catted downpipe has been on for close to 10k miles and I havent had any issues with the cat
Sounds like I'll probably be going high flow catted if my stock cat shits the bed. Ron's prices seem pretty unbeatable. Might be a dumb question, but how did you know when your stock cat blew? Was it something you heard or was it a CEL?

Erick_V

Sounds like I'll probably be going high flow catted if my stock cat shits the bed. Ron's prices seem pretty unbeatable. Might be a dumb question, but how did you know when your stock cat blew? Was it something you heard or was it a CEL?
My car went back and forth from loud to quiet a couple times before it stayed louder than it originally was, then the P0420 for no cat shortly after I left my cat in pieces somewhere on the road. I knew something was up when I accelerated and my car was as quiet as a stock FiST. I was running an MBRP CBE at the time so the volume difference was immediately noticeable. I'm the 1% of people that have experienced an issue with the cat blowing out so I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much. The downpipe install is fairly easy if it does fail