Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Choices choices choices--is this wheel/tire combo the way to go?

If any of you guys need dirt bike advice or help, I'm your guy. Regarding cars, I'm mechanically competent, but clueless about performance parts, tires, wheels, etc. Based on the advice from my previous thread (topic was tire/wheel package for more versatility from my ST), I've focused in the the following:
a. 16 x 7 wheel (they start around $112 per wheel)
b. 205/45 16 General G max all season (this is the size with the sidewall to compensate for the smaller wheel, right?)

With a rebate and delivery discount I can get this for about $760 (without the TP monitor, which I don't really care about). Does this seem like a decent deal and a good way to go? Advice appreciated. Thanks!

BTW, the wife and I took the ST to dinner last night and slammed a huge construction bump (could not see it in the dark) on I-285 here in Atlanta. No apparent damage, but this is why I feel like a need more sidewall.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Are you on stock suspension? If so I’d go with a 205/50. 45 has too much wheel gap imo and the 50 will be even more forgiving.

Business6

After switching to RPF-1 with 205/50 I'll say there's barely a difference in ride quality. The suspension is very clearly the main issue with the harshness. I think we all know and have known that, of course, but I do think the results of going to a larger profile tire are rather exaggerated.

Not to say there aren't areas where it hasn't improved, of course. With the filled out wheel gap, more appropriate wheel size for the car (imo) and some extra tire to add some insurance I'm still quite glad I went with the 50s

Jerickson88

After switching to RPF-1 with 205/50 I'll say there's barely a difference in ride quality. The suspension is very clearly the main issue with the harshness. I think we all know and have known that, of course, but I do think the results of going to a larger profile tire are rather exaggerated.

Not to say there aren't areas where it hasn't improved, of course. With the filled out wheel gap, more appropriate wheel size for the car (imo) and some extra tire to add some insurance I'm still quite glad I went with the 50s

As I was looking at 15" wheels last night I was looking at 185/60's and was wondering if a good quality H rated tire would help ride quality. Of course, I also believe that if you want ride quality, you should have bought a different car. My RS-RR are a decent riding tire. Noisy, but a better ride than the Bridgestones that we got from the factory.

Business6

As I was looking at 15" wheels last night I was looking at 185/60's and was wondering if a good quality H rated tire would help ride quality. Of course, I also believe that if you want ride quality, you should have bought a different car. My RS-RR are a decent riding tire. Noisy, but a better ride than the Bridgestones that we got from the factory.
While I agree I think the FiST is stiff for the sake of stiffness. As reactions to aftermarket suspension modifications show there's plenty of compliance in the chassis available.

Jerickson88

While I agree I think the FiST is stiff for the sake of stiffness. As reactions to aftermarket suspension modifications show there's plenty of compliance in the chassis available.
I think the rear torsion bar definitely has to do with the rigidity. The only reason it's there is because they would have had to redesign it for the sake of the ST model. I wish they would have done IRS, I think that would have calmed down the harshness of the ride for sure, but to make a cost effective template, IRS would have driven the price of the Fiesta line significantly (all guesses) which would negate the purpose and niche of the cars market.