Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Christmas boost gauge install

I got a turbosmart boost gauge and whoosh boost tap for Christmas and threw it in this morning. I just ordered the ATI vent pod holder from Ron at whoosh, so once I get that I can finish up.

First I snaked the vacuum line from the inside grommet above the clutch pedal out to the engine bay. I used wire to feed through and taped the line to it. From under the hood, once I saw the wire poking out above the battery I grabbed it and pulled it through.

Then after I had the line in the bay I installed the whoosh boost tap and secured the line down with some zip ties

Then I moved back inside to run the line under the steering wheel to the vent. I removed the vent and the lights switch. I looked in through the light switch hole and pulled the line in with a hooked end of wire. Now I can feed the line up to the boost gauge

Next I used the light switch harness to tap into power and ground. These are the pins I used. Black for black, blue for red. It powers on in accessory mode and while car is running. It will dim off in sync with the interior lights.

And there you have it, a great way to spend Christmas Eve morning! Looking forward to getting the ATI vent pod from Ron so I can finalize the install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
STbro
Thread Starter #8

the duke

Looks good. While the ATI pod does allow air, don't expect it to be worthwhile. Better than nothing though.

Ideally, yes. What Ford counted on, and got, was a fat aftermarket for this car. It didn't sell in the US, but it was a major hit in the eastern hemisphere. They still sell the Mk8 in Australia, but no other Fiestas.
They did nothing for the interior. It's standard Fiesta econobox plastic. Downside: cheap plastic. Upside: very easy to keep clean, and who cares if you scuff it?.

They spent it all on making it a fun car with a tune that's so conservative, it doesn't need a boost gauge. It'll go fast, if you want to spend a little money. Faster, if you want to spend more.
This car sold well beyond expectations in the US. I believe Ford said they sold their entire allotment in the first 2 years they expected for the lifetime of the car in the US. It wasn't a problem of the Fiesta ST not selling, it was a problem of Ford could sell CUVs with more profit. Same as the sedans/coupes dying out. It's not that they don't sell or make money, it's there's just MORE money to be made selling trucks and CUVs/SUVs.

OP
STbro
Thread Starter #11
Looks good. While the ATI pod does allow air, don't expect it to be worthwhile. Better than nothing though.

This car sold well beyond expectations in the US. I believe Ford said they sold their entire allotment in the first 2 years they expected for the lifetime of the car in the US. It wasn't a problem of the Fiesta ST not selling, it was a problem of Ford could sell CUVs with more profit. Same as the sedans/coupes dying out. It's not that they don't sell or make money, it's there's just MORE money to be made selling trucks and CUVs/SUVs.
Thanks, took it for a spin after and ya the airflow is decreased but I still got enough air from it combined with the center vent. Went with the ATI so I didn’t have to make any permanent holes in the pillar or dash parts mounting it somewhere else. Plus I just like design integrating the factory parts.

the duke

Thanks, took it for a spin after and ya the airflow is decreased but I still got enough air from it combined with the center vent. Went with the ATI so I didn’t have to make any permanent holes in the pillar or dash parts mounting it somewhere else. Plus I just like design integrating the factory parts.
A trick I use is to close the passenger vents to bottle the pressure to the drivers side. Helps make up the reduced flow from the ATI pod/vent. I don't normally have passengers so I don't care if the far right vent is closed.

OP
STbro
Thread Starter #13
A trick I use is to close the passenger vents to bottle the pressure to the drivers side. Helps make up the reduced flow from the ATI pod/vent. I don't normally have passengers so I don't care if the far right vent is closed.
Right on I do the same thing and my girl likes having the far right pod closed too so it stays shut. Definitely helps and you don’t have to run your fans as high.

XanRules

OP, do you happen to have the pin-outs for the illumination switch? I'm planning to wire up a gauge soon that's got Orange - Ignition, Red - Battery, White - Illumination, Black - Ground.

I have something similar I'm getting ready to install, but I'm wondering how you routed the boost line out of the vent tube. It doesn't look like there would be enough space to get the hose out between the vent module and the pipe behind it without crushing it.

OP
STbro
Thread Starter #18
I have something similar I'm getting ready to install, but I'm wondering how you routed the boost line out of the vent tube. It doesn't look like there would be enough space to get the hose out between the vent module and the pipe behind it without crushing it.
Leave enough slack on the boost hose behind the gauge. it won’t crush it there’s enough space for it to go down.