Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clunk/rattle coming from brakes or wheel area

Hey everyone so I just switched out my brake pads to my track pads for a track day this weekend and I've been hearing a rattling coming from the front wheels or brake calipers.

It definitely rattles a lot when going over bumps but when I put some pressure on the brake pedal it seems like they quiet down a bit. The rattle can't be felt though the steering wheel but its pretty loud.

Also I noticed when backing into my parking spot at work that when braking to a stop then baking up, as soon as I brake I hear a clunk definitely coming from the front brakes.

My car has a little over 11000 miles, any Ideas of what this could be?

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Have you checked every bolt you touched during the brake job to make certain they are still torqued?

OP
zeddzik
Thread Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys! @kivnul you were correct. I didn't have time to fully take everything off and check on my lunch break but I did have time to try and get a slow-motion video of what the front right caliper was doing when it was making the clunk on reverse... here's what I captured: https://photos.app.goo.gl/3QPPiQmirTtLHETu8

So this was worrying to say the least... I immediately used the spare jack and wrench and went to take a look. Lo and behold I forgot to torque the two most important bolts when doing a break job, the two actually holding the caliper onto the hub. They backed themselves out so far that one was almost out of thread Fortunately I was in a Ford Dealer parking lot at the time and was able to convince one of the techs to let me borrow a 15mm socket to get them torqued down enough to get me home.