Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clutch is toast, but does it sound like other stuff is also broken?

So I was cruising in 6th gear last night when suddenly the car didn't accelerate and a horrible noise came from the transmission.

I tried downshifting, and could easily get into any gear without a problem, but the car wouldn't accelerate.

I've ordered a clutch and flywheel from whoosh last night, but does this sound weird for anyone else? Sounds like something in there is really broken.

This is me letting go of the clutch pedal softly, car goes into gear easy, and clutch pedal feels normal. Does it sound like maybe the synchros are bad too?

Sounds horrible, and don't recall any other of my cars making a similar noise when the clutch finally gave out.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
That sounds terrible. I've never hessr anything like that. Did you order the slave cylinder as well?

OP
Thread Starter #3
That sounds terrible. I've never hessr anything like that. Did you order the slave cylinder as well?
Yes, ordered the slave cylinder as well. I just have a feeling, there's going to be carnage once inside, with my luck.

I also have never heard anything like that, on the only other car I can remember having a clutch fail, I couldn't even get into gear when pressing the clutch in, so I'm stumped.

The way it gave out too, was surprising, which makes me believe there is more wrong inside.... maybe an excuse for a limited slip differential, lol

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The fact that you can shift into gears doesn't necessarily mean the internals are ok. Until you open it up, it's hard to tell. I hope you find a shredded clutch and all else is well!

OP
Thread Starter #5
The fact that you can shift into gears doesn't necessarily mean the internals are ok. Until you open it up, it's hard to tell. I hope you find a shredded clutch and all else is well!
May it be so, lol

I'm not expecting it though... already looking for used transmissions, just in case.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Your tach didn't move when you revved?
Oh shit good eye! Not to be a doomsayer but the tach signal is usually via the ECU which gets it from either the crank or cam speed sensor, etc. Not sure where our cars get it from but that can't be good.

Have someone rev the car while you watch the accessory belt and pullies. Is their spinning in sync with the revving?

OP
Thread Starter #8
Your tach didn't move when you revved?
I need to rev the engine while in neutral to see if the revs go up.

In the video, I didn't give it any gas, just slowly let the clutch go out.

Will post tonight to see if the tach shows the engine revving. I'm sure it will since it's idling at the right speed on the tach.

Maybe a busted differential?

Last edited:

haste

1000 Post Club
flywheel might have failed and the "dual" mass is just grinding on itself. that would explain why you can still shift into gear without the transmission grinding. i doubt the tranny grenaded.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Input SHAFT Has shattered/imploded and the internals are Done* if that thing goes into gear and doesn't go forward or reverse. Sorry to be the bearer of bad new but im LIke 99% sure there aint no coming back from this without a complete Trans rebuild OR replacement. Puma speed sells used Transmissions for a decent price or you could go balls deep and get a Nicely done unit from Colby @ Clarke trans with an lsd With or without WPC metal treatment.

OP
Thread Starter #12
Input SHAFT Has shattered/imploded and the internals are Done* if that thing goes into gear and doesn't go forward or reverse. Sorry to be the bearer of bad new but im LIke 99% sure there aint no coming back from this without a complete Trans rebuild OR replacement. Puma speed sells used Transmissions for a decent price or you could go balls deep and get a Nicely done unit from Colby @ Clarke trans with an lsd With or without WPC metal treatment.
Yeah, been mentally preparing for this outcome...

Already ordered:
OEM Clutch
OEM Dual Mass Flywheel
mFactory LSD
LSD install kit

Going to order an input shaft bearing, and cross my fingers nothing else is bad, otherwise, yeah Puma Speed is going to get a call from me.

I know where my tax return is going this year.

Sam4

Yeah, been mentally preparing for this outcome...

Already ordered:
OEM Clutch
OEM Dual Mass Flywheel
mFactory LSD
LSD install kit

Going to order an input shaft bearing, and cross my fingers nothing else is bad, otherwise, yeah Puma Speed is going to get a call from me.

I know where my tax return is going this year.
I somehow was able to get Ford to cover this, as it happened at 58,xxx miles. If you're cracking the case yourself - all of the roller bearings are prolly shot. I have the repair order, but not electronic - get a list going...and yes Puma this spring for me. I sound like a jet in a holding pattern.

OP
Thread Starter #14
I somehow was able to get Ford to cover this, as it happened at 58,xxx miles. If you're cracking the case yourself - all of the roller bearings are prolly shot. I have the repair order, but not electronic - get a list going...and yes Puma this spring for me. I sound like a jet in a holding pattern.
two shops so far have said nope on installing the LSD. I have no urge to do it myself, lol

As soon as I receive most parts I'll have the car towed to the shop.

Was hoping not be down for a while, but this is going to take a few weeks I think.

Ford covering the fix has you with a good problem to have.

They will do the transmission and likely the entire clutch assembly, differential seals, input shaft seal, and fluid. But, of course, they won't touch an aftermarket LSD.

Then, whoever does you LSD will have to rip it all down. Depending on the shop, they might require you to so the seals again. Maybe the clutch also, but probably not. Will have to do fluid again. And, of course, all the risk that comes with doing a big job twice.

OP
Thread Starter #16
Ford covering the fix has you with a good problem to have.

They will do the transmission and likely the entire clutch assembly, differential seals, input shaft seal, and fluid. But, of course, they won't touch an aftermarket LSD.

Then, whoever does you LSD will have to rip it all down. Depending on the shop, they might require you to so the seals again. Maybe the clutch also, but probably not. Will have to do fluid again. And, of course, all the risk that comes with doing a big job twice.
Ohh I wish I was having it covered by Ford, lol, the other poster had their stuff covered, the ship has sailed on the warranty on my car.

I'm trying to find a shop that'll just do the whole thing, but might have to take the transmission to a specialized shop to install the LSD then back to another shop to install the rest.

Covered under warranty would be a dream, lol, I'm already in 1,800 on just parts, and might need a used transmission or rebuild kit.

Sam4

Whoops, my mistake. There are shops that will do both, I would keep searching
Other poster here. I'm at 105,000, so I made out ok, until you consider the weeks of rental car to keep it from hitting 60,000 - not that it was drivable! And while I'm at the end-of-life with the clutch, the trans is toast too. Again. Oh well, capitalism...

OP
Thread Starter #19
Going to take it to Kozmic Motorsport, they've done the same install in another member's car, so feel comfortable knowing they'll do a good job.

Went ahead and bought some carbon synchros as well. This is getting expensive, lol. Car should be fun at the end though.

CSM

1000 Post Club
I feel your pain. My car grenaded second gear in May of '22, which completely destroyed the internals in the transmission. I got lucky and the LSD was spared, but it still was a painful fix. Ended up getting a brand new unit from Ford at my expense obviously.