Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

clutch pedal has inconsistent resistance, frequently sticks to the ground. 54k miles.

the clutch pedal has lost pretty much all resistance and sometimes the release point is all the way on the ground. it frequently "sticks" by hesitating to return to its resting position. it has stuck just past the release point twice, requiring me to pop it back up with my foot. sometimes while driving the resistance comes back and the clutch feels normal but only for a few presses. sometimes it is difficult to get the car into reverse when starting it in the morning. sometimes it clunks when shifting at lower gears (maybe high gears too but i can't hear over the exhaust noise)

the clutch isn't slipping and there is brake fluid in the reservoir. i rarely have issues getting the car into gear.

i am pretty much hoping that its not the freakn slave cylinder and that a bleed could solve the problem cuz i had my eyes on that fuel pump that Adam put in his Fiesta.

There are several threads on clutch pedals sticking to the floor, one is active today, even- check there and see if someone may have had the same circumstances. :)

the clutch pedal has lost pretty much all resistance and sometimes the release point is all the way on the ground. it frequently "sticks" by hesitating to return to its resting position. it has stuck just past the release point twice, requiring me to pop it back up with my foot. sometimes while driving the resistance comes back and the clutch feels normal but only for a few presses. sometimes it is difficult to get the car into reverse when starting it in the morning. sometimes it clunks when shifting at lower gears (maybe high gears too but i can't hear over the exhaust noise)

the clutch isn't slipping and there is brake fluid in the reservoir. i rarely have issues getting the car into gear.

i am pretty much hoping that its not the freakn slave cylinder and that a bleed could solve the problem cuz i had my eyes on that fuel pump that Adam put in his Fiesta.
Not frequent, but I have experienced the same exact symptoms you're describing. It hasn't happened in a few month though (knock on wood).

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Prepare yourself to replace the clutch slave cylinder, and / or the clutch master cylinder.

OP
Humpy Mcsaddles
Thread Starter #6
if i pump the clutch it seems to build up enough pressure that it functions normally

OP
Humpy Mcsaddles
Thread Starter #8
HAVE YOU CHECKED THE FLUID LEVEL?
yeah its full. there is fluid in the reservoir and the fluid container is brake fluid colored if i shine a light on it.

the brakes work perfectly fine, no problems. the only problem is the clutch pedal sticking.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Is it possible that humidity has gotten into the brake fluid and is causing a loss of hydraulic pressure? That could also explain it's inconsistency. Maybe try flushing the brake fluid out of the system as much as possible and replacing it with new fluid?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I wonder if the line has gotten weak due to the heat and collapses inside. Acting like a check valve. Seen it happen on brake lines. Just a guess. Considering how hot these engines run.....

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
But coming off the master cylinder it's a hard-line. But there is one nylon section that actually could be bent incorrectly. When I was putting my clutch back in I noticed it seems Ford made the nylon section too long. Or maybe they did it for more radius but I'd check that too. It's behind the tranny right behind the battery. Should be able to see it from underneath.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
It may be so the line has some slop for engine movement. But that flexible section would be the culprit if it did fail this way.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Oh I didn't think of the engine movement. Yeah maybe it's kinking up and like you said acting like a check valve.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
It shouldnt be kinking at a stand still though. I can see the line degrading from excess heat and movement.