Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clutch smell when driving normally, time to replace clutch? Which kit do you recommend and what's needed?

Hi,

Coming up on the 1 year mark on the ownership of my new-to-me 2014 Mountune 215 with 43k miles currently on the ODO. 2700 miles ago, did brake pads and rotors, engine oil and filter, spark plugs, and replaced the blown out struts with brand new OEM struts (not interested in lowering kits or full on coilovers at the moment).

Not knowing how the car's previous owners treated the car, recently I've noticed a burning smell that's especially noticeable when coming to a stop. It's more apparent when driving the car hard (obviously) and sometimes can smell it while moving as well. There's no slipping yet, but I feel like that's on the horizon given what seems to be a glazed/worn out clutch.

I don't believe it's a technique issue as I drive a manual for my daily, so time to replace the clutch?

What kit/parts do you guys recommend?

As a side note, my car is in Hong Kong where the driving conditions are harsher on cars given the slow speeds, short distances, and frequent stop and go traffic. Throw in subtropical weather and it's a recipe for shorter than typical maintenance intervals.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
I'd recommend all OEM Ford parts including slave cylinder and flush and bleed the hydraulics.

One good thing is with the Fiesta's hill hold feature, you shouldn't have to do the old handbrake start on the hills in HK.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Three times a dealer has touched the car and three times I have gotten that smell. (just another in a list of reasons I do my own work)

It's been years since one last touched it and nothing has become of it.

Did you have a third party perform that maintenance? If so, there's your answer.

If it is indeed performing normally, unfortunately there's no real way to tell for sure whether or not it will result in problem. It does do some self-adjustment. Depending on how much you drive, give it a few weeks. If the smell doesn't dissipate or worsens, order up your parts ahead of time. 43 kilometers ain't much mileage at all... practically still new.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
I just reread the original post. If you're smelling burning friction material when coming to a stop, it could be your brakes. Did you use original equipment pads? Did you make sure they weren't the ones for ordinary non-ST Fiestas?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
OP
D
Thread Starter #6
I'd recommend all OEM Ford parts including slave cylinder and flush and bleed the hydraulics.

One good thing is with the Fiesta's hill hold feature, you shouldn't have to do the old handbrake start on the hills in HK.
Who knows what the previous owners did in terms of maintenance so I guess better safe than sorry when bringing it in for next service.

I find the hill hold a bit unpredictable at times but it has been convenient.

OP
D
Thread Starter #7
Three times a dealer has touched the car and three times I have gotten that smell. (just another in a list of reasons I do my own work)

It's been years since one last touched it and nothing has become of it.

Did you have a third party perform that maintenance? If so, there's your answer.

If it is indeed performing normally, unfortunately there's no real way to tell for sure whether or not it will result in problem. It does do some self-adjustment. Depending on how much you drive, give it a few weeks. If the smell doesn't dissipate or worsens, order up your parts ahead of time. 43 kilometers ain't much mileage at all... practically still new.

Ford HK is the biggest scam on the planet (aside from American medical insurance haha). Their prices and lead times for parts and service are absolutely ridiculous, and I doubt that their mechanics are well versed in the 2 years they offered the Fiesta here.

I had the maintenance done last May by a trusted mechanic who works on all of my cars, and this smell has only come up in the last month. I'd say it's not the mechanic's fault but it is a possibility. It's only been getting worse, so I think a parts order is in the works in the near future. Hoping it can last until the next oil change which will be another 5k kms.

My car has 43,000 miles, or 69k KMs on the clock. No spring chicken, but unlikely to develop significant issues as well.

OP
D
Thread Starter #8
I just reread the original post. If you're smelling burning friction material when coming to a stop, it could be your brakes. Did you use original equipment pads? Did you make sure they weren't the ones for ordinary non-ST Fiestas?
Good point - I had this specifically addressed the week I picked up the car. The rotors and pads were dead from the previous owner, so I replaced them with EBC slotted discs and Yellowstuff Brake Pads, a combo I've had good success with on my Miata. No issues since and definitely not subpar pad material.

OP
D
Thread Starter #9

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Good point - I had this specifically addressed the week I picked up the car. The rotors and pads were dead from the previous owner, so I replaced them with EBC slotted discs and Yellowstuff Brake Pads, a combo I've had good success with on my Miata. No issues since and definitely not subpar pad material.
Did you bed the pads in after they were installed? EBC brakes have a different bedding compound on the surface if I'm not mistaken, which needs to be burned off before you get proper braking. Probably not many places in HK to do the bedding in. Maybe out in the New Territories somewhere.

OP
D
Thread Starter #11
Did you bed the pads in after they were installed? EBC brakes have a different bedding compound on the surface if I'm not mistaken, which needs to be burned off before you get proper braking. Probably not many places in HK to do the bedding in. Maybe out in the New Territories somewhere.
You must have spent some time in HK given your familiarity with the area!

Yeah that was one of the first things I did after putting the new pads on. I'd already done it once before on my MX-5 so I was familiar with the process.

It's been about 3000 miles since and I've had no issues with the braking performance, very much on par with the MX-5.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
You must have spent some time in HK given your familiarity with the area!

Yeah that was one of the first things I did after putting the new pads on. I'd already done it once before on my MX-5 so I was familiar with the process.

It's been about 3000 miles since and I've had no issues with the braking performance, very much on par with the MX-5.
I was born there, moved away in 1968, but have returned to visit family a few times.