Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

COBB FMIC/Chargepipes + COBB Turboback Review/Exhaust Clip, ST XTA Coilovers Installed

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Hey guys!

I had a really productive weekend - I fitted a COBB Front Mount Intercooler & Chargepipe Set, COBB Catted Downpipe and COBB Cat-Back Exhaust system - to top that off, I also installed a set of ST Suspension XTA Rebound/Camber/Height adjustable coilovers.

I took the opportunity to record a couple quick sound clips and recap my experience in my latest post on the ModBargains blog.

Check out the article on Stage III Fiesta ST Mods & ST XTA Coilovers for Fiesta ST here

All of these parts are available at ModBargains.com and if you're interested in ordering any of these, talk to Ford Mod Expert Jurrian at 714-582-3330 x8002 or email jurrian@modbargains.com

I haven't had the chance to get the car on a dyno yet, but based on the butt dyno alone already I can tell you there's a marked improvement in the car, response is snappier, the exhaust note is actually surprisingly quiet, I expected it to be louder, especially at idle. I feel like the Downpipe made a pretty big difference in the performance level of the car and it takes less throttle to cruise around town now.

I will update as time goes on and I have more experience with the parts but I am quite happy with everything fitted for the car, and the FMIC was surprisingly easy to install. For installing/removing your fascia, a FLEXIBLE SCREWDRIVER/BIT DRIVER is INVALUABLE! It'll save you like 45 minutes if you use a flex driver rather than a trying to get your hands into the fender. I wish I'd known that before wasting a ton of time.

If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask - be sure to comment on the article!

Cheers
Nick aka BlueBomber

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Those mudflaps, though. Where can I get those?
Amazon, $16.99. Have fun with the fitment... took me quite some time to get it exactly right. IMHO, if I were going to do it again, it's worth $75 or $89 to know they all fit correctly and line up right.

Bluebomber I searched amazon, you got a link please and thanks. Btw exhaust sounds awesome.

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Bluebomber I searched amazon, you got a link please and thanks. Btw exhaust sounds awesome.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CPHXRG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RoadSport 4754 'B' Series Premier Splashguards

Again, GOOD LUCK with fitment, I say that because it was a big pain in the ass.

The headache it saves, in retrospect, is worth the extra $$ for a set that's pre-drilled for the car.
[MENTION=62]Sekred[/MENTION]:
No logs yet, I had a boo-boo to fix before I could really get on the car totally - I broke the damn VTEC solenoid sensor harness off (Exhaust Side Variable Valve Timing Cam Solenoid) - car runs fine without it, but causes a CEL. Still, the damn thing is a whole other animal.

Logs to come this weekend after I put some miles and get the last of this 87 octane from two weeks ago out of the tank (had to get 87 at a station in the middle of nowhere, no 91)

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Your not the first person to brake that harness off if that makes you feel any better. In retrospect I now unplug that VTEC harness when ever I remove the intake pipe, just luck I haven't broken it before because of the way I would twist and pull on the intake pipe to remove it.

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Your not the first person to brake that harness off if that makes you feel any better. In retrospect I now unplug that VTEC harness when ever I remove the intake pipe, just luck I haven't broken it before because of the way I would twist and pull on the intake pipe to remove it.
Thank you for that, now I feel like a lot less of an arse for breaking it.

Still, I was mortified when I saw the thing had cracked and then snapped off x_x
"Oh no! I broke an important looking thing!" is always a scary feeling. By the way, for anyone else who breaks this stupid thing it's only $33 for a replacement but takes a day to get a new one. :(

razorlab

1000 Post Club
VTEC? Are you talking about the VCT? VTEC is cam lift (basically switches over to a different lobe profile) in addition to cam advance and retard, VCT is just cam advance and retard. (Ti-VCT, MIVEC, AVCS, VVTI, etc)

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
VTEC? Are you talking about the VCT? VTEC is cam lift (basically switches over to a different lobe profile) in addition to cam advance and retard, VCT is just cam advance and retard. (Ti-VCT, MIVEC, AVCS, VVTI, etc)
I called it a VTEC Solenoid because that's what most people (outside our community) would understand it as rather than Exhaust Side Variable Cam Timing Solenoid (figure #20 on the reference chart)... and I figured VTEC would work as a descriptor, as IIRC it stands for Variable Timing Exhaust Control... I think I might be screwing up the C but I'm too lazy to google right now. but I could swear VTEC originally did the exhaust side... but we're getting off topic.

It's on the passenger side, close to the firewall, at the corner. Secured by a single 8mm bolt to the top of the valve cover on the firewall side of the motor.
That thingie. It has a propensity to get its harness snagged on other things while working on the intake and is easy to break. Disconnect the harness before working on the motor in the future to avoid breaking it.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
That is my point. It's NOT VTEC. VTEC changes cam lift. Variable cam timing does not.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
very nice...

Excited to get all my Cobb goodies installed very soon....

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
That is my point. It's NOT VTEC. VTEC changes cam lift. Variable cam timing does not.
Yeah I get your point, just another means of trying to explain something; I know the right word, I had to in order to get a replacement, heh. I just figured thats a close enough approximation for most people. Sort of like how when people ask where I'm from I'll say Anaheim or Los Angeles even though I'm technically in fullerton.

I'm used to people calling parts all sorts of incorrect names and you've got to figure out wtf they're on about... You wouldnt believe the number of different things window weatherstrip/felts are known by.

But yeah, the exhaust side vvt solenoid harness, watch for that thing when working on your fiesta.

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
I like what you did with those wheels.
it's plastidip; gray base coat (2 layers) with smoke over that (3 layers) with a metallic layer and three coats of gloss over that. I no longer stress out about keeping the wheels clean, it took like three and a half weeks of daily driving for the wheels to get noticeably dirtier. Just hose em off and voila! you're done. It really is a win-win.

apparently these things are lighter than stock, or just feel lighter than the stock wheels we were also handling when we did the coilovers. I thought they might be heavier than stock - I've never checked what they weigh with a scale.

Sekred

1000 Post Club
What ever its name is, heres the thingy BlueBoomer is talking about. Note its position in relation to the compressor intake tube.

Cam lift.jpg

Hey Nick,

What's the reason you went with these Coilovers? Are there better options for the price? I'm looking to order some but don't know which ones to get. Thanks!

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
Hey Nick,

What's the reason you went with these Coilovers? Are there better options for the price? I'm looking to order some but don't know which ones to get. Thanks!
Full disclosure: I went with ST's because I won them in a contest on Facebook, so there's that, but I had been considering a set anyways. It was serendipity. No hookup here, just sheer luck of the draw. I've won several things on FB just by correctly entering the contest - usually for smaller places. You'd be surprised how few people correctly complete the entry, so the odds are good. I was THIS close to pulling the trigger on Vogtlands. I don't regret the decision and I think either would've been great, but you can't beat free! It did take ALL summer to get the things though, I won them in May, I think, and they only showed up a week or two ago.

Whatever way I went, I wanted to get a coilover that used KW Shock Bodies (ST Suspensions, KW and Vogtland all use KW shock bodies - the springs and finish on the body vary by manufacturer) - ST's are great if you live somewhere that it does not snow, like SoCal. If you live somewhere that it rains or snows, go with KW over ST because the KW's won't rust if subjected to those conditions. Vogtland is another great budget option but focuses more on preserving your ride quality while also maintaining handling. Given how gently the XTAs ride I bet the Vogtlands ride just as nice. If you leave some travel in the shocks and don't slam the hell out of the car it rides fine.

Whatever you choose, I do suggest opting for something with adjustability if at all possible. What are your goals for the car? Softer ride? Trackdays? Stance?

KW, ST Suspensions, Vogtland, H&R and Bilstein, heck even Eibach, are all great options. I have the highest trim level (XTA) and I wanted a coilover where I could leave the shock on a softer setting for Daily Driver use, and I was lucky enough to win a set of coilovers that I actually would've bought anyway. The XTAs, if I recall correctly, retail for $1399 but the part number changed mid-way through my order so that could affect pricing as well.

Ah okay. I live in SoCal too so rust won't be a problem. I'm looking for something that is track capable while still being streetable. I just ordered a set of 17x8 wheels, I don't think clearance will be an issue?