Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

COBB Traction Control

The Mustang EcoBoost, Fiesta ST, and Focus ST are all torque monsters from the factory. Take one in stock form, slap on any of the slew of aftermarket parts available, and your EcoBeast becomes even more savage. But no matter how much power your car can make, it?s worthless if it doesn?t get to the ground. That?s where COBB Traction Control comes in.

COBB Traction Control is a custom feature available only with the Accessport. It doesn?t involve any extra sensors, installation, or hard part changes. This makes it easy to improve road course or straight line track times on completely stock EcoBoosts, highly modified race cars, or any other supported Ford in between. Essentially, if your wheels are uncontrollably spinning at any time during any race, this feature can help.

"Doesn't my car have traction control from the factory?" Although there is a factory system in place, it is quite intrusive and in many situations removes far too much power output than necessary. This may work well for keeping you on an icy road but is far from optimal if performance is the goal. "Well I can turn that factory traction control off!" This is also true but can often lead to uncontrollable spin, especially with modified cars. Even more so with front-wheel drive modified cars. It just so happens we have one of those. Meet our Stage4 SEMA Ford Focus ST:

This vehicle has the complete COBB Stage3 Power Package which includes a full turboback exhaust, upgraded front mount intercooler, and intake. This Focus ST also sports an upgraded turbocharger. Altogether this makes about 330hp and 360tq to the wheels and forces this Focus to pull like a freight train all the way to redline! But enough about the car and back on to COBB Traction Control. The point is, it's capable of spinning the tires pretty easily which makes it the perfect candidate to show the benefits of the feature.

The current options on your EcoBoost vehicle are traction control on, which limits too much power, and traction control off, which allows too much wheel spin. COBB Traction Control can be configured to work somewhere in the middle where optimal performance can be had. It works by taking the vehicle speed (averaged from the rear two wheels on our Focus ST) compared to a driven speed (front two wheels on our Focus ST) and then uses a properly calculated slip number into our own proprietary PID loop algorithm. This will then calculate the proper amount of ignition timing to be reduced based on the amount of slip. The simple test below gives a better idea of how the system works and shows how even basic settings can provide an improvement.

To test traction control we needed a traction event that was easily repeatable and had limited variables. A simple 2nd gear pull at wide open throttle from low RPM to near redline was easily repeatable. Then, the time it took to accelerate from 30 to 50 miles per hour during that pull was measured. This speed range was chosen since it yielded very consistent results and captured the period where wheel spin occurs. These tests were performed on the same section of a closed course all within a few minutes on the same day. Below is the acceleration data collected with a VBox Sport and the ECU data collected with an Accessport. Compared is the same run with factory traction control, the factory traction control off, and the exact same map but with COBB Traction Control added with a generic 20% slip setting across the table.

Factory Traction Control

With the factory traction control enabled our Stage4 Focus ST accelerated from 30 to 50 miles per hour in 2.01 seconds.

The SEMA Focus ST begins pulling hard but right at the 4 second mark on the x axis there is a bit of a flat spot (nearly a negative slope) in our acceleration. This is right where boost really kicks in which spins the tires causing the factory traction control to reduce boost and pull timing. This can be seen in the datalog from our Accessport.

The above datalog (click here for an interactive page of this same log) is taken from an Accessport and shows a few key variables in explaining our traction control event. Among the variables are:

Accel. Pedal Pos. % - This variable shows how far the gas pedal is pressed. The area where the car is at wide open throttle (100%) is the data we want to examine.
Boost Pressure (PSI) - This is the amount of boost in PSI the vehicle's MAP sensor is reading.
VSS Front Average - The average speed of the front two wheels based on the front wheel vehicle speed sensors.
VSS Rear Average - The average speed of the rear two wheels based on the rear wheel vehicle speed sensors.
TC Slip Actual - This monitor shows the difference as a percentage between VSS Front Average and VSS Rear Average.
Ign Timing Cyl 1 - This shows the ignition timing in cylinder 1.
Notice that only about an 8% difference in wheel speed (TC Slip Actual) between the front (VSS Front Average) and rear (VSS Rear Average) wheels causes the factory traction control system to reduce boost (Boost Pressure (PSI)) and pull timing (Ign Timing Cyl 1 ).

Traction Control Off

With the factory traction control off, our Stage4 Focus ST accelerated from 30 to 50 miles per hour in 1.93 seconds.

The car is faster without the invasive traction control. It is nearly a full tenth faster in acceleration from 40-50 over the run with factory TC enabled. Let's dive into the datalog for more detail.

Here we see the datalog showing the same monitors as our previous run with the factory traction control system enabled. We can plainly see the benefit as boost (Boost Pressure (PSI)) and timing (Ign Timing Cyl 1 ) aren't neutered through an overbearing traction control system. But, we also see difference in wheel speed (TC Slip Actual) peak at over 30%! This car is equipped with sticky tires which allowed it to regain traction. Lesser tires would likely continue to slip all the way to redline with no traction control active. Although this run was faster, let's see if we can implement some simple changes with COBB Traction Control and improve our acceleration test results.

COBB Traction Control

With COBB Traction Control set with a maximum of 20% slip, our Stage4 Focus ST accelerated from 30 to 50 miles per hour in 1.80 seconds.

With COBB Traction Control enabled to allow a maximum slip of 20%, the FoST gains nearly a full tenth over each 10 mph.

Here is the datalog for the run above. The same monitors as the previous logs are present and the TC Spark Retard monitor is added. This monitor shows the amount of ignition timing reduced as a result of the COBB Traction Control in effect. You can see this value change when our TC Slip Actual exceeds 20%. Slightly limiting the amount of wheel spin improved the car's acceleration.

The above is a very basic test used to show COBB Traction Control in action. The capability of the system is much more robust. You can also set up tables that limit slip to a certain amount based on yaw (twist around a vertical axis) or steering wheel angle! This can greatly improve lap times by allowing the driver maximum acceleration out of every corner.

The optimal amount of allowed slip will depend on the vehicle, modifications, tire compound, and racing surface. Get with a Protuner today to get COBB Traction Control dialed in for your vehicle and watch the lap times fall!

Kyle@COBB

iso100

1000 Post Club
Very cool! Is it safe to say this is a feature that will be exclusive to the Pro level AccessTuner package?

The current options on your EcoBoost vehicle are traction control on, which limits too much power, and traction control off, which allows too much wheel spin.
Um...what about sport mode?

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
COBB Traction Control:

"COBB Traction Control can be used to improve traction on any supported Ford with any modifications or setup on any surface. It also provides the ability to input steering wheel angle and yaw (except on Fiesta ST which does not have these sensors) to allow different amounts of slip."

http://www.cobbtuning.com/ford-updates-v400-maps-and-cobb-custom-features/

Siestarider

Fine with me that steering angle and yaw are not included in Fist tuning. Driver should be responsible for placing the car in proper position on track.

This sounds like a very useful tuning option. I have run many track logs trying to understand when TVC intervenes, although I am running a Quaife, I know TVC still acts. Maybe the diagnostic part will finally clear some of my questions up. Assuming I have not mixed apples and oranges again, traction control is not the same as torque vectoring.

So that is my first question, will this feature offer any insight or tuning modification to TVC?

codestp202

So I've updated my maps to the new version. Is the traction control enabled from default? Or do you have to get the protune and have the tuner install this?

OP
C
Thread Starter #10
Um...what about sport mode?
Sport mode still disables factory traction control.

is cobb gonna test the Fist with this feature?
It has been tested on every platform for functionality. This is the only test likely to occur for demonstration purposes. You should get it enabled from your Protuner and do some tests! [:D]

So I've updated my maps to the new version. Is the traction control enabled from default? Or do you have to get the protune and have the tuner install this?
Currently, a Protuner will need to enable this feature and make any desired changes. You will see new Traction Control Monitors on the new firmware though. You can see these to get a better idea of how the current traction control system is behaving.

Kyle@COBB

Sorry if this was answered, but was the 2nd gear traction control off pull done while feathering the throttle or just 100% WOT?

My thing is if a driver is feathering as intended I would imagine the times are much closer.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Will we be able to turn this feature on ourselves with AccessTuner Race (when you re-release it)? Same w/ Flat Foot Shifting and Launch Control?

Will we be able to turn this feature on ourselves with AccessTuner Race (when you re-release it)? Same w/ Flat Foot Shifting and Launch Control?
I get the sense it's not an "on/off" so much as it is something that needs to be tuned to the vehicle and driver prefs like anything else.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Kyle@cobb

I have access tuner and I tried to update its software last night, but it failed.

Is this something that we are going to be able to use via access tuner? Are you guy no longer supporting the current version of access tuner due to the over-haul ?

As per what I've read on the Accesstuner being updated, we will have to go throught an online formation to be able to download the new version of the software, which is not available yet. On their website they are planning to release it before September but they don't have a specific release date for it yet.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
As per what I've read on the Accesstuner being updated, we will have to go throught an online formation to be able to download the new version of the software, which is not available yet. On their website they are planning to release it before September but they don't have a specific release date for it yet.
They were saying $150 class at EFI university. But... That's kinda weak-sauce if you've already paid $150 and been using access tuner for 2 years or more. I'd pay the $150 for the new access tuner. I'd pay the $150 for the EFI class. But right at this moment, kinda sucks being locked out.

OP
C
Thread Starter #18
Fine with me that steering angle and yaw are not included in Fist tuning. Driver should be responsible for placing the car in proper position on track.

This sounds like a very useful tuning option. I have run many track logs trying to understand when TVC intervenes, although I am running a Quaife, I know TVC still acts. Maybe the diagnostic part will finally clear some of my questions up. Assuming I have not mixed apples and oranges again, traction control is not the same as torque vectoring.

So that is my first question, will this feature offer any insight or tuning modification to TVC?
TVC will not be tunable as it is in a module separate from the ECU.

Sorry if this was answered, but was the 2nd gear traction control off pull done while feathering the throttle or just 100% WOT?

My thing is if a driver is feathering as intended I would imagine the times are much closer.
They are just slamming the pedal down. You can see the throttle input in each of the logs. They MAY be closer but would likely all be slower. It's tough to build boost, especially with a bigger turbo, without throttle.

As has always been the case, new features are typically released to Accesstuner Pro first and then the Accesstuner down the line. It's still up in the air as to whether this will eventually be available on Accesstuner.

Kyle@cobb

I have access tuner and I tried to update its software last night, but it failed.

Is this something that we are going to be able to use via access tuner? Are you guy no longer supporting the current version of access tuner due to the over-haul ?
This feature is not currently available on Accesstuner but may be eventually. Your current version of Accesstuner should work just fine (updates are not available until the software is re-released). If you are having issues, please give us a call at 866-922-3059 and we can help you troubleshoot.

They were saying $150 class at EFI university. But... That's kinda weak-sauce if you've already paid $150 and been using access tuner for 2 years or more. I'd pay the $150 for the new access tuner. I'd pay the $150 for the EFI class. But right at this moment, kinda sucks being locked out.
It sucks for sure. But, keep in mind if the software was previously purchased, it's yours and you'll always have it. In order to get any instances of new Accesstuner, the course must be completed.

Kyle@COBB

OP
C
Thread Starter #19

TVC will not be tunable as it is in a module separate from the ECU.

They are just slamming the pedal down. You can see the throttle input in each of the logs. They MAY be closer but would likely all be slower. It's tough to build boost, especially with a bigger turbo, without throttle.

As has always been the case, new features are typically released to Accesstuner Pro first and then the Accesstuner down the line. It's still up in the air as to whether this will eventually be available on Accesstuner.

Kyle@cobb

This feature is not currently available on Accesstuner but may be eventually. Your current version of Accesstuner should work just fine (updates are not available until the software is re-released). If you are having issues, please give us a call at 866-922-3059 and we can help you troubleshoot.

It sucks for sure but it will be re-released soon! Keep in mind if the software was previously purchased, it's yours and you'll always have it. In order to get any instances of new Accesstuner, the course must be completed.

Kyle@COBB

As a prior ATR customer, I'm a little bit bummed about being left out of the update. That said, it's akin to a new version of AutoCAD having new features; I'm not entitled to the new features unless I buy the new software.