Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cold day, cold engine, throttle stops responding

This happened several times on cold days last year, when the car was new, and it happened again, the other day when it was -10C (12F):

Started the car, let it idle for maybe 30 seconds, then drove away gently (as usual, until it's warmed up). About a mile down the road, going into a traffic circle, gently ease on throttle; no response! Ease off slightly (1/4"?), back on slightly (1/4"?); no response! Repeat, repeat, repeat; back to normal! (that whole procedure took 2-3 seconds, almost like 3 little squirts of gas on an old carburetor, when an engine is bogging).

300 yd later, entering ramp for highway, same whole scenerio, again. Again, another couple of times, over the 20 miles to work.

Hasn't happened since.

Car is bone stock.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any ideas?

Edit: Thanx for the insight of those who responded. Car is still under warranty, so would be covered. I just wanted to see if others were experiencing the same thing and/or had any idea what was happening.

Happened again today, -8C.

Coincidentally (?), cruise control would not engage when this was happening. When it would engage, problem did not recur.

We have drive by wire and the gas pedal probably works as a voltage divider. A voltage divider uses variable resistance to create a variable voltage output. Extreme temperatures might mess with the resistors.

If you have a lot of melted snow in the footwell, that might short out the sensor.

Wild guesses but I would look at the pedal sensor mostly.

I've been having the same issue with my 2015 I took it in and the dealer couldn't replicate the issue, mine has done it several times regardless of temperature.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Strange. Drove mine several times in -30c -25c without issues. But I had the exact problem on My Aveo where the throttle cable was iced but I can't see the same issue on the Fiesta as it is digital. Maybe have the pedal connection verified. May there is something causing a poor connection (moisture) and until it is thawed it behaves weird. For the dealership to reproduce they may need to keep it a cold night and try it in the morning. This may lead to a bulletin.

Anyone know if the pedal assembly is the same on the other feista trims? Do they have a similar issue?

me32

1000 Post Club
Interesting. Keep us updated on this. If possible try an show the ford tech so they can actually see it.

Had it happen yesterday. Almost stalled it a few times. Seemed like the pedal wasnt giving any gas as I pulled out from a stop.