Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cold start rattle

IDecX

So, long story, ive had my 68 plate Mk8 Fiesta st2 with performance pack for just a little over a year now and has been fine until at most 3 months ago it started slightly rattling on startup, no biggie its only lasting a half second and heard it was normal with building pressure, but recently(within the last month) is gotten worse.... Much worse and over the past few days its gotten to the point that the rattle won't stop until the engine gets warm and I've pulled off. I did mention this to the ford dealership and even had a "diagnosis" but they said nothing wrong and wasted £90 on nothing. I could really do with some advice and figure out where this noise is coming from. Timing chain tensioner? Rocker lifters? I'm a little off a heavy foot but I don't rag it about on redline or anything like that.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
I would examine the exhaust for someplace where it's vibrating against something, or a heat shield is loose and vibrating.

OP
I

IDecX

Thread Starter #3
I would examine the exhaust for someplace where it's vibrating against something, or a heat shield is loose and vibrating.
It's not the exhaust trust me. It's something to do with the oil pressure as it goes once it's warm. I'm sure if it was the heat shield or something loose it would rattle everytime it starts, not just on a cold start

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I've noticed that (at least with the Mk7) the idle is higher while its cold. Could something like a heat shield be vibrating only during the time that the engine is idling high?
It would probably be helpful if you posted a video.

OP
I

IDecX

Thread Starter #5
I've noticed that (at least with the Mk7) the idle is higher while its cold. Could something like a heat shield be vibrating only during the time that the engine is idling high?
It would probably be helpful if you posted a video.
Yeah sorry, Got a old video here, noise is the same but length of noise is about 2-3 times longer depending if its a slightly warmer morning or not
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gqch780yya0cq9c/20220521_050955.mp4?dl=0

Last edited:
OP
I

IDecX

Thread Starter #7
I knew these ecoboost engines have loud injectors, my dad's St line has loud injectors too but not on startup but a few seconds after, In the video the noise I'm referring to is the first second of the video when the engine starts, then you can hear the injectors ticking away. The noise I'm hearing doesn't sound like injectors.