Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Color Coated Whoosh FMIC Owners, Durability?

For those that have the Whoosh FMIC in the black color how is the coating holding up? I want it in black but will use the car in the winter and given how beat up my OEM IC is after 20K miles I am not sure how it will hold up to the rock chips and debris blasting it down there. I prefer the black to kind of hide it in the lower bumper but if its going to look like salt and pepper after a year or two I would rather just go with the natural finish.

Anybody have one with the color coatings for a while now maybe 20K miles or more?

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
For those that have the Whoosh FMIC in the black color how is the coating holding up? I want it in black but will use the car in the winter and given how beat up my OEM IC is after 20K miles I am not sure how it will hold up to the rock chips and debris blasting it down there. I prefer the black to kind of hide it in the lower bumper but if its going to look like salt and pepper after a year or two I would rather just go with the natural finish.

Anybody have one with the color coatings for a while now maybe 20K miles or more?
are you referring to the V1 black of V3
the V1 is just spray painted black from the factory
Where the V3 is a baked on heat barrier finish

The V1 paint will chip when rocks hit it. I've seen a black V1 with nearly 200K in it and it's basically not black anymore
The V3 coating is as durable as your factory paint on the front bumper, so if rocks hit either one the damage shown would be identical
I have a few thousand miles on my V3 black prototype and there are no chips that I can see from a detailing view

Also, a lot of people go through the effort of removing the lower grill. Leave it on and this becomes an exponentially smaller worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Phishy
Thread Starter #4
are you referring to the V1 black of V3
the V1 is just spray painted black from the factory
Where the V3 is a baked on heat barrier finish

The V1 paint will chip when rocks hit it. I've seen a black V1 with nearly 200K in it and it's basically not black anymore
The V3 coating is as durable as your factory paint on the front bumper, so if rocks hit either one the damage shown would be identical
I have a few thousand miles on my V3 black prototype and there are no chips that I can see from a detailing view

Ok good to know. I didn't realize there is a difference in the paint/coatings between the two. I thought it was basically the beefed up endtanks and a branding thing.

OP
Phishy
Thread Starter #5
Also, a lot of people go through the effort of removing the lower grill. Leave it on and this becomes an exponentially smaller worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My IC is stock and I have all the lower grill stuff still intact. I took a decent road trip in the country last weekend which required serious power washing and bug removal afterwords. I took a serious rock blow to the IC, looks like it nearly punctured it but didnt thankfully. Just got me to thinking about how these would look after some real world miles. I plan to leave the lower grill intact as much as possibile or add mesh if I have to.

Ford Community Posts