Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Comparing Mountune and Whoosh V3

Brianmc27

I decided to downsize my FMIC from the Whoosh V3 to the Mountune unit - so I wanted to share the striking size difference when compared side-by-side.

I guess I’m anal retentive and I couldn’t handle the (very minor) flex that the huge V3 put in the bumper (the bumper gap and headlight gaps were noticeable to me). I bought the Mountune from an user here and they are both very similar in build quality. I measured the cores and noted them below.

Whoosh V3 - 29”L, 6-1/4”T, 3”D
Mountune. - 29-1/2”L, 5-1/2”T, 2-3/8”D

While the V3 is hella beefy and more effective if you’re going to go with a big turbo, the Mountune one fits absolutely perfectly and I was able to put the center splash guard bracket back in, which made me happy.

I’ll report back once I give it a good test run and can check the charge temperatures.

F21B94B8-0147-44A8-BFE9-3BFF3D7B0F17.jpeg C07DED6E-C95B-4147-B4F4-B2F619E07E6A.jpeg

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I have a video about the Mountune intercooler. All of my research says it truly is the only one that has perfect fitment.
I hope it works well for you.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I also could not deal with the fitment issues. Two different parts for different goals. Now that we have many inexpensive FiST's on the used car market many buyers want inexpensive parts for it. There is also a good market for higher quality, properly engineered parts that drop in and fit properly at a higher price. Different strokes for different folks, choices are a wonderful thing!

CSM

1000 Post Club
FWIW I have seen charge temp testing between the mountune unit and CPE (which is nearly identical to Whoosh V3) unit on an identical car. CPE definitely outperformed the mountune at maintaining charge temps near ambient after multiple pulls. This was on a car with upgraded turbo.

I think Mountune IC is just fine for those on stock turbo wanting proper fitment, but isn't going to cut it for upgraded turbo cars IMO

Last edited:
OP
Brianmc27

Brianmc27

Thread Starter #6
FWIW I have seen charge temp testing between the mountune unit and CPE (which has same core as Whoosh V3) unit on an identical car. CPE definitely outperformed the mountune at maintaining charge temps near ambient after multiple pulls. This was on a car with upgraded turbo.

I think Mountune IC is just fine for those on stock turbo wanting proper fitment, but isn't going to cut it for upgraded turbo cars IMO
Agreed, I had thought I was going to go with a hybrid so I was happy with the V3. Plans changed and I’m sticking with E30 on the stock turbo so I decided to get a better fitting one.

We’ll see how it handles the scorching summers here in a few months.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
FWIW I have seen charge temp testing between the mountune unit and CPE (which has same core as Whoosh V3) unit on an identical car. CPE definitely outperformed the mountune at maintaining charge temps near ambient after multiple pulls. This was on a car with upgraded turbo.

Does the CP-E have all of the identical bumper fitment/can't use the shields problems of the V3 (and the like in that same 'class' of IC)??

CSM

1000 Post Club
Does the CP-E have all of the identical bumper fitment/can't use the shields problems of the V3 (and the like in that same 'class' of IC)??
Pretty much. I had Whoosh V1 as well at one point and it also had same issues.

Had to trim some of the plastic liners that touch the end tanks as well as had to rig up a zip tie system to get the lower skirt to fit.

Never had any issues with bumper or headlight gap

Dpro

6000 Post Club
FWIW I have seen charge temp testing between the mountune unit and CPE (which is nearly identical to Whoosh V3) unit on an identical car. CPE definitely outperformed the mountune at maintaining charge temps near ambient after multiple pulls. This was on a car with upgraded turbo.

This is true except all the charge temp testing was for the original Mountune Tube and Fin . Mountune switched things up a few years back and out of the blue with no fanfare switch to a bigger bar and plate core. Ask me how I know this.:ROFLMAO:

The newer Mountune still fits stock placement but it is bigger than the original one. I know this because I compared the core to the original tube and fine core. It has more rows than the Tube and fin.

OH and BrianMC’s core is the newer as it‘s a Bar and Plate. Is it smaller than the Whoosh V3 look at the pics and measurements.
Can you run it with a bigger Turbo? Well Mountune sells it with the MRX kit now. Also SirSinclair bought a built car with the whole MRX kit with the Mountune intercooler and did not report any issues.

Oh and the final nail in this debate coffin is the fact that I am running a S280 with a Mountune Bar and Plate and so far its been fine. I had picked up the CPE but figured what the hell the Mountune‘s on there lets run it with it and see how it does.

Do I have a CPE Delta core I picked up for $288 sitting just in case I decide I need it? Yes I do. :ROFLMAO:

So to put it to rest once and for all a lot of you are basing your Mountune judgement off the old original ones.

Oh and I only spoke up because I get tired of seeing people say you can’t run the current one with anything beyond a stock Turbo I have not witnessed any heatsoak with mine.

Oh and Ron’s Whoosh V3 is a great bang for the buck at its new price in comparison to the competition.
If I had not got my CPE I would probably have grabbed a V3 for backup.

Last edited: