Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Confusion on tires and wheel sizing

Meckbot

U.S. Army Veteran
I'm trying to avoid rubbing as this is an all round daily driver that may seem some autocross for fun. I'm looking at having a flexible wheel size that lets me migrate between High Performance tires and a all season offering. The down select to fit my year round billet is the Michelin Sport All Season 4.

Initially I had my sights set on the Rota Grids because while I LOVE the TE37 Volk styling I don't have TE37 money. Problem is all the tires I'm finding that fit my all round performance 4 season category are in the 18 inch variety. Currently the car has 16 inch rims on it which I plan on using for winter tires. But at the moment
I feel like an idgit because I can't seem to find a all season performance tire in the 17 inch variety. Anyone with any input would be much appreciated, even if its a link to an already existing thread. The car has General tire "Tiger Paws" on the 16 aftermarket rims on it now from the dealer and even with the stage 1 cobb tune it easily exceeds the grip of the tires. Plan on running those all summer as they are "free" rubber if possible but want to come strapped for next summer.

I'm also not unopposed to going with LW rims, and not dead set on the Rota Grids. Just looking for the wheel size that gives me the most flex on performance tires. I'm keeping the 16s for winter tires and will run the nice rims for two season tire or autocross.

You should be able to get Michelin Pilot All Season 4 in 17s. That will fit the 4 season category for you assuming it doesn't get too icy where you're at. Otherwise the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 also comes in 17s. That is more performance oriented and shouldn't really be used in freezing temperatures.

The Pilot Sport 5s are out now, they are just in short supply. If you plan on waiting until next summer then you might want to wait and see if the Pilot All Season 5 gets announced by then.

https://www.michelinman.com/auto/browse-tires/by-dimension/205/40/17/84/-

OP
M

Meckbot

U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #3
I'm in Central WA. This last winter was 3 feet of snow. Granted I have a 97 Land Cruiser (for now) that can power through some of it but it can stay icey or have random snow storms well into April (we had several inches at a time in March/April).

I've had extensive experiance with Michelin tires in wet on motorcycles, which is why I'm biased towards that as my main tires despite the cost. Its WA after all and rain is a thing.

I'm more confused with the width sizing, looking at a 17x8 rim. I'd shoot for the all seasons for most of the year and might keep a round of Federals or something more grippy if I want to autocross.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
If you are still at factory height/factory suspension i would suggest running some 215/40/17s. They wont rub and add a little more sidewall and a larger contact patch.

215/40/17s are available in many budget UHP(ultra high performance) All -Season tires.

Federal offers the SS595s in these I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm running 205/45 CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 PLUS XLs (phew!) for when I don't have the Nokian studs or the Falken 660 autocross tires on the car. They don't rub in fairly spirited driving, but do when I tried to autocross on them (I had a puncture in the 660s right before the last event last year, and wasn't going to miss it). I'm pretty impressed- they do ok in snow and ice, and aren't bad at all in the dry- a decent compromise.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm running 205/45 CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 PLUS XLs (phew!) for when I don't have the Nokian studs or the Falken 660 autocross tires on the car. They don't rub in fairly spirited driving, but do when I tried to autocross on them (I had a puncture in the 660s right before the last event last year, and wasn't going to miss it). I'm pretty impressed- they do ok in snow and ice, and aren't bad at all in the dry- a decent compromise.
Those should not rub at all, under any circumstances, unless you have those FAs close to slammed. [dunno]

I've never seen those tires offered in an XL load rating (one of the reasons I did not choose them for daily driver use over the Neo Gens which ARE XL rated), or does that designation mean/stand for something else? [???:)]

OP
M

Meckbot

U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #7
How does the 17x8 nature of the wheela effect which tires will fit?

I think the width of the tire is what Im havong trouble understanding.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
How does the 17x8 nature of the wheela effect which tires will fit?

I think the width of the tire is what Im havong trouble understanding.
you can run a 215/40 on a 17x8 been there done that there are a number of factors that come into play for rubbing .

One is ride height , if the car is lowered they could rub depending on how low you are. 2. is camber if you add negative camber to the front you get clearance .

The wheel well of our cars was never really designed for a 17 inch wheel the car came stock orginally with 15ā€™s and 16ā€™s. so the tallest tire one can get away in 17 without rubbing at stock height is a 215/40 . 40 is your aspect ratio and it determines sidewall height as 215 is the section width. So A 45 or 50 will be a taller tire.

Though section width can add or take a little from the overall diameter of the tire. As it determines just how wide a tire is and depending on rim width could stretch it out a bit making it a littler shorter on sidewall height due to stretch. Now thing with section with is itā€™s kinda generic in the sense that different tire manufactures could have a 215 section width that actually measures out closer to another manufactures next size up aka 225.

So you always want to look at a tires measured section width and measured tread width to get a truer take on real width. Companies like tire rack list that info on their site about particular tires in the specifications tab. Some do not , always try to find out though.

For instance a lot of us go 16 inch wheels so we can run a taller Aspect ratio possibly opening up the door to running more tire sizes. I actually run a set of Federal RS Proā€™s 205/45 on 16x8 wheels which some would consider stretched except the Federal 205 is actually almost as wide as a lot of companies 215ā€™s Federals are known to run wide.

All this factors into whether you run or not especially if you are not at stock height. Hopefully this info will help you see more clearly how to figure out what you need or car work with on your car.

Mikey456

The stock wheels are 7 inches wide. Iā€™m lowered in swift springs which is about a 1 inch drop. I run 215/40r17 Dunlops which work fine in my opinion. If you add an inch in width to the wheel you might rub because of the stretch of the tire. If you find a 7.5 inch wheel that might be a good bet on 215/40. There seems to be a limited amount of wheels in 7.5 but I think it would be ideal. Or some run coil overs so they can adjust the ride height to avoid rubbing.

OP
M

Meckbot

U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #10
I'm not opposed to running 16x8's. I believe the wheels that came on my car are 16x7 but I'd have to actually measure it. I believe some Rota's or Enkei's would be viable in 16x8. More tire options and lighter wheels which helps these tiny cars.

Right now I THINK I am on stock springs as far as I could tell. I've been debating on doing the B8/Mountune springs route but coils would be more viable for my rural shit roads and driveways/parking lot entry ways that are peaked at the sidewalk. Also the occasional speed bump.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I'm not opposed to running 16x8's. I believe the wheels that came on my car are 16x7 but I'd have to actually measure it. I believe some Rota's or Enkei's would be viable in 16x8. More tire options and lighter wheels which helps these tiny cars.

Right now I THINK I am on stock springs as far as I could tell. I've been debating on doing the B8/Mountune springs route but coils would be more viable for my rural shit roads and driveways/parking lot entry ways that are peaked at the sidewalk. Also the occasional speed bump.
The 16x8 wheel that a lot favor is the Konig Dekagram itā€™s flow formed so itā€™s strong and itā€™s light weight coming in just under 15lbs per wheel. Do not let comments about 215/40 being stretched on a 8 either thatā€™s pretty much not true. 215ā€˜s are perfectly acceptable on 8 inch wheels and a lot of us run them.

Mikey456

The 16x8 wheel that a lot favor is the Konig Dekagram itā€™s flow formed so itā€™s strong and itā€™s light weight coming in just under 15lbs per wheel. Do not let comments about 215/40 being stretched on a 8 either thatā€™s pretty much not true. 215ā€˜s are perfectly acceptable on 8 inch wheels and a lot of us run them.
Iā€™m referring to the physical size of the tire when mounted on a bigger wheel and the potential for rubbing. A little stretch is great if it fits without rubbing. Hence what you mentioned about additional negative camber.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The other factor no one is mentioning is the OFFSET/'ET' of the wheels used.

Most on here love that 'flush' look due to the 'poke' (pushing the wheel/tire assembly out to the edge of the fenders) of low numerical offsets, but although yes, it can help clear the inner suspension components, it can also cause much rubbing (sometimes even at factory ride height) on the inner wheel well liners, mounting points, and even the inner fender edges, depending on the height and width of the tires mounted on them, and the wheel width of course.

Last edited:
OP
M

Meckbot

U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #14
I was eyeballing the GCA BBK for sale on, also why Im kinda leaning towards the 17 in wheels.

I can get Pilot Sport All Season 205/45 R17 which hopefully should not rub. I dont plan on going lower by much if I decide to go full coil. Like I said peaked sidewalks and pot holes galore where I live. Oh and gravel/dirt pull outs galore.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I was eyeballing the GCA BBK for sale on, also why Im kinda leaning towards the 17 in wheels.

I can get Pilot Sport All Season 205/45 R17 which hopefully should not rub. I dont plan on going lower by much if I decide to go full coil. Like I said peaked sidewalks and pot holes galore where I live. Oh and gravel/dirt pull outs galore.
those wonā€™t rub but if you have potholes galore two things to remember you will feel them with a 17 inch wheel, and potholes are wheel killers on our cars. Ask me how I know.
Given all of that you might want to seriously consider 16ā€™s for the cushion.

OP
M

Meckbot

U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #16
Dpro- Fair point, its what I have on the car right now. Wont be able to run that BBK which is a bummer but seems there are plenty of alternatives that realm.

Looking at ROTA GRID 16X7 4x108 42 HB 63.35 with a 215/55 R16, opens up a bit more tire options as well. I already feel a lot of the road with the 16s so I think for a DD, 16 inch wheels make more sense.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
17x7.5 +40 here with 215/40, stock suspension. 0 rub.

I kinda forget what the original issue is here now though. It was a good refresher for me though

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Dpro- Fair point, its what I have on the car right now. Wont be able to run that BBK which is a bummer but seems there are plenty of alternatives that realm.

Looking at ROTA GRID 16X7 4x108 42 HB 63.35 with a 215/55 R16, opens up a bit more tire options as well. I already feel a lot of the road with the 16s so I think for a DD, 16 inch wheels make more sense.
Ya no do not put a 215/55 on a 16 that would give you a diameter of 25.3 inches thats taller than a 215/45 17 which will rub even with stock suspension so with a 215/55 16 you will rub big time.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Since basically all seasons do not exist in a 215/45-16, yeah, if you demand all season rubber.

If not, and can run summer stickies on them, there are plenty of that 215/45-16 size donuts around. [wink]