Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Considering/just test drove a Kia Stinger GT2 for wife...would like informed opinions

jeff

2000 Post Club
A bit of this intro in italics is repeated from my Tesla thread so bear with me if you chimed in there.

My wife and I are both turning 47 this month. She's been driving various kid haulers (we have 4 kids) for most of our 23 years of marriage, but now with 2 kids gone and a third leaving soon the time has come to dump the minivan. We've had a Honda minivan since 2003, that's 16 years. My thing has always been when the time comes she picks whatever she wants up to the price of $50k. So we've been casually looking at a few vehicles over the last year or so with plans to buy in the next year or two. We kinda figured we'd get an SUV or sedan...Mazda CX-9 or CX-5 were high on the list, Accord sport 2.0 or Acura RDX were all possibilities. Maybe even a Ford Explorer. Any of those fully loaded gets up around $40-45k.

I don't care about Tesla or Elon Musk or the cool points that do or don't come with that, but the appeal of an EV got my interest, but for only a few days. While I think an EV is the way to go for an around town appliance car (for many reasons - that's another discussion), ultimately we want something we can use for long trips so the EV is out due to charging issues. Beyond that I did some pretty extensive research into Tesla and while I respect the Model 3 there are too many things that made it lose my interest pretty quickly.

However the Kia Stinger has been on my radar as well. On a whim I did some quick research last evening and spontaneously went to a dealer this morning for a test drive.

Cliffs notes on my research - Kia Stinger (in V6 form) is a bargain luxury performance car that outperforms many more expensive rivals, is packed with tons of standard equipment, has the best warranty around, looks amazing. There are some suspension flaws if it's driven to the extreme on the track but for daily driving they are quite nice. It's kind of comical but the main "drawback" everyone cites is "would you spend that money on a Kia"? Also noted are some creaks and rattles, but that varies depending on who's doing the review.

Test drive - salesman was super chill, zero pressure, I was test driving it after only a few minutes, he didn't even look at my license. Afterward we didn't even sit down, he took my name and number on a post it note and shook my hand, that was it. Super impressed. The car in question is the GT2 RWD V6 for $50k. I'm gonna say, I was shocked. It's like the Fiesta ST of sports sedans. Relatively unknown, bargain for the money vs. the competition, insane performance. Interior is super nice and intuitive, lots of analog still going on in there in terms of dials and knobs, but very simply laid out. Seats are super comfortable; back seat is huge and hatchback is near SUV-sized. The car is quiet, has HUD, all the cameras, etc. Dang it looks nice in person too. Zero creaks and rattles, very quiet. Now guys my Fiesta is quick - 304whp and 337wtq - but the Stinger would kill it. I did a few conservative 10-60 accelerations and the car feels like it could climb a tree. Even without AWD (which is an option) there were zero traction issues. Super impressed - both is faster and also feels faster than my Fiesta. Overall I'm far more impressed that I thought I was...I have driven a ton of cars and this feels special. Even next to my friend's Audi S3, which is comparable in every way, this felt every bit if not more of a special car.

Side note, there is a GT2 RWD V6 with 10,001 miles on eBay right now for $35k. Actually I found two. WOW. If I buy one that is probably the way I'd go unless the dealer gave me a super deal on a new one.

Anyhow I'd love opinions if you've been researching the same or have experienced or owned a Stinger.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I'm the same age so can totally relate. I had a Kia Forte5 SX (1.6T) before my FiST and I can tell you that Kia build quality and reliability is excellent, it just had a terrible suspension and expensive to tune and mod so I traded it in on my FiST, and since my son is older and could sit up front was not a big deal to have limited backseat space... Now with Kia taking the best German designers and driving engineers, I know that the Stinger is indeed an excellent vehicle, but did want to say you should be able to find some serious deals out there and the GT1 trim level has the performance goodies you want without excess so it may be a good price point option, especially with incentives!

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
My brother loves his Stinger GT, I drove it a couple of times and it's really impressive in terms of what you get for the money. Check out https://www.kiastinger.org, there are tons of guys running in the 11's with a tune.

New Stingers can be purchased for under 35k, just depends what option level you really want. Search on Autotrader, there is a new GT in Austin for $32,741.

But then you should also drive the 4, better mpg and only $28k new.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
My brother loves his Stinger GT, I drove it a couple of times and it's really impressive in terms of what you get for the money. Check out https://www.kiastinger.org, there are tons of guys running in the 11's with a tune.
And the Stinger, unlike the FiST, responds really well to bolt on's too, even without a tune there was significant gains with exhaust, intake, IC, etc...

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I love the Kia stinger and this is my opinion if I was buying one. Which as of right now is on top of my list several years down the road for my wife not myself.
I would probably buy the four cylinder model with the light and sound package, and with all wheel drive. I wouldn't buy it with the mindset of modifying it as it would be a very long-term daily driver for my wife and reliability would be very important. I like the GT I prefer the GT, but I'll tell you why I would not buy one at this point in my life.
The GT is obviously more expensive it has a larger wheel size so that's going to make tire replacement more expensive it also comes with summer tires. You have two options replace it with an all-season tire which is what I would do, or buy a separate set of wheels and tires which in that size is what over $2,000 probably. It would use more gas more likely to get a ticket, and the consumables are going to be more expensive. I assume it also has a more aggressive brake and suspension package once again more money down the road for maintenance and replacement parts. The 4-cylinder turbo would be a big upgrade over her 2011 Mazda 3.
The all-wheel drive with a good all season tires would allow her to visit her family in upstate New York and not have to rent a car down here with all wheel drive. All wheel drive is obviously not necessary for snow, but not going to put snow tires on a car in the south just to drive it up north.

Anyway I think it's a great car.
With the budget you have the GT seems like a great option, your budget is about $15,000 more than mine.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
New Stingers can be purchased for under 35k, just depends what option level you really want. Search on Autotrader, there is a new GT in Austin for $32,741.

But then you should also drive the 4, better mpg and only $28k new.
You have to be careful with those online prices. I emailed a dealership about a Kia stinger they had advertised and they wanted $10,000 more for it than what they posted online. They weren't even willing to negotiate online.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
You have to be careful with those online prices. I emailed a dealership about a Kia stinger they had advertised and they wanted $10,000 more for it than what they posted online. They weren't even willing to negotiate online.
Dang, that is straight shady, at least that one is really obvious so that you can just go to another dealer... but I'd walk in with that ad printed out or threaten to report them for false advertising!

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Dang, that is straight shady, at least that one is really obvious so that you can just go to another dealer... but I'd walk in with that ad printed out or threaten to report them for false advertising!
Lumberton Kia I gave them some nasty reviews.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
If you have issues with "internet prices" vs "dealership prices", check with your insurance provider to see if they have a car buying service.
If you have USAA, your price is locked in before you hit the dealership, and it's an agreement between them and USAA. Yes, it has a truecar logo on it, but the negotiated rates are different from consumer truecar and there are some different terms applied.

Alternatively, the Stinger GT edges into slightly niche car territory, you can probably find a commission based car buyer to work out the kinks for you. I've used one in the past and their fees depend on the value of the car, from a couple hundred bucks to several thousand. Spending 2-3k for a buyer to negotiate a 15k discount was worth it, 300-400 dollars to negotiate a 500 dollar discount probably isn't.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
If you have issues with "internet prices" vs "dealership prices", check with your insurance provider to see if they have a car buying service.
If you have USAA, your price is locked in before you hit the dealership, and it's an agreement between them and USAA. Yes, it has a truecar logo on it, but the negotiated rates are different from consumer truecar and there are some different terms applied.

Alternatively, the Stinger GT edges into slightly niche car territory, you can probably find a commission based car buyer to work out the kinks for you. I've used one in the past and their fees depend on the value of the car, from a couple hundred bucks to several thousand. Spending 2-3k for a buyer to negotiate a 15k discount was worth it, 300-400 dollars to negotiate a 500 dollar discount probably isn't.
As far as the stinger GT, driving it felt a lot like a japanese Dodge Charger. It felt big and tanky, handled pretty well, and was smooth and polished where the charger was harsh and angry. It doesn't have the raw anger of a Charger RT, but it feels overall like a much better car. Would be absolutely awesome for long distance freeway drives in either 4 cylinder or TT form.

It is *not* a sports car. It is more of a GT.

Yes, you always have to read the fine print, and get an actual writen quote, but there are 16 cars at various dealerships around the country for under 35, so doubt that this is a 1 off scam.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Yes, you always have to read the fine print, and get an actual writen quote, but there are 16 cars at various dealerships around the country for under 35, so doubt that this is a 1 off scam.
read the ad super carefully, if it doesnā€™t mention extra fees and there are no asterisks with additional considerations, print it out. Thatā€™s advertising and if they a) didnā€™t give themselves an out by saying ā€œterms applyā€ and b) wonā€™t honor their advertised price, you can probably get a consumer advocacy group on your side. I like fighting and arguing so I kinda get off on that stuff lol. It is very time consuming though.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Locate a 2020 Mustang GT/CS if you can..........let her drive it and I bet like my wife she will want it. Sticker at hair under $50K with every available option, maxed out. (2019)....otd at $42K plus TTL. Mid sixties Y.O. wife loves her rumble mobile and switchable exhaust has never come off med loud setting. $460 HP DOHC and sticks like glue. Leaves my FiST in the dust in the twisties. Shaves her legs and does her nails at 140 mph, LOL!

My #1 concern with the Stinger is depreciation. Korean cars depreciate fast and buying a 50k quickly depreciating car is risky if you are taking out a loan. Imagine totaling the car 1 year into ownership and losing your butt when it comes to the insurance settlement. I am an Insurance Pro with 20+ years in the auto insurance business and seen lots of people get burned. Get gap insurance...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Locate a 2020 Mustang GT/CS if you can..........let her drive it and I bet like my wife she will want it. Sticker at hair under $50K with every available option, maxed out. (2019)....otd at $42K plus TTL. Mid sixties Y.O. wife loves her rumble mobile and switchable exhaust has never come off med loud setting. $460 HP DOHC and sticks like glue. Leaves my FiST in the dust in the twisties. Shaves her legs and does her nails at 140 mph, LOL!
I believe he needs a car he can actually put people in the back of. Jeff is a family man.
I want a Kia stinger because of the room. We use my Wife's Mazda 3 hatchback as a truck.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I believe he needs a car he can actually put people in the back of. Jeff is a family man.
I want a Kia stinger because of the room. We use my Wife's Mazda 3 hatchback as a truck.

Our only sees occasional grand kids in back seats........

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18

Yes, I was really shocked at how much room there is in both the back seat and the hatchback. Great trip car. Our little girl will most likely be in our care forever so that's a consideration too, we need something that has good space for more than just 2 people.

My #1 concern with the Stinger is depreciation. Korean cars depreciate fast and buying a 50k quickly depreciating car is risky if you are taking out a loan. Imagine totaling the car 1 year into ownership and losing your butt when it comes to the insurance settlement. I am an Insurance Pro with 20+ years in the auto insurance business and seen lots of people get burned. Get gap insurance...

Yes on this. I highly doubt I'd buy new unless I got a stinger of a deal. Get it, stinger? Anyway...depreciation on these is real - I'm seeing 2018s all over America for 10-20% under the new car price and they have only 10,000 miles. That's good for me as a buyer but not in terms of depreciation.

No doubt the new Mustangs are nice...that's a bit too much car for me and not my style though. Crazy value for the dollar though.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club

I checked and found depreciation on Kia is lower than GM and same as Honda but higher than Ford
https://www.themoneycalculator.com/vehicle-finance/calculators/car-depreciation-by-make-and-model/

3 year depreciation rate

GM 55%....Honda 50%......Ford.....40% .........Kia.......50%......Lexus........40%.......Hyundai......45%....infiniti......45%....Tesla.......45%.....Toyota and NIssan.....35%

My second car is a Pontiac G8 GT that I am tentatively looking to replace. I test drove an AWD Stinger GT and loved it. After joining a Stinger GT forum to learn as much as I could, I read comments about the 2WD version being the better driver. I even heard that comment made about the Genesis G70 (same platform and also on my radar) in the car mags. Unfortunately where I live, it seems that only the AWD models are at the dealerships so I couldn't see for myself.

On paper, the Stinger and my G8 have similar specs but the Stinger felt like it had more torque. After the test drive and jumping back in my car, I had the opposite experience. I chalk it up to a 6.0L V8 vs. turbo anything. Too bad there is no equivalent of a better looking Chevy SS on the market. I don't count the FCA offerings as they are heavier and don't handle as well. We'll see what the future holds for me.