Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Constant clunking into reverse gear (DEALER SAYS IS NORMAL)

So about 3 months ago I told my dealer about my clunking /grinding when engaging into reverse and also when going into 6th gear would make a similar noise so they took my car in and replaced my syncro for just 6th gear and gave it back to me with a dixed 6th gear but reverse still clunks I told them they never fixed it but the service manager at Ford told me he don't "think" there is a syncro for that gear....I sure as hell don't know....is any of y'all experienceing this problem?

I'm taking my car in next week to get a good thorough check up because I'm at 57k miles and my powertrain Warranty is about to expire and of like to get these problems fixed under warranty ya kno?

I also asked them to check out my cylinders for compression tests and knock rests because on cold starts it really sounds like a lite knocking, not my HPFI as I do know these make a similar noise but I believe I have a trained ear...and when the car was warmed up I would get a concerning amount of blowby coming from oil fill cap, as if like I was blowing as hard as I could at the palm of my hand with my mouth at 1" away is what it felt lile.

I'd love to get these problems fixed before I start seriously modding my car when this warranty ends I'd have to through a rod or something catastrophic as soon is I pull some more power from it.

I'd also like to add that the clutch will not clunk into reverse if I veerrryyy slowly engage it into gear if that helps yall diagnose anything...

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
So about 3 months ago I told my dealer about my clunking /grinding when engaging into reverse and also when going into 6th gear would make a similar noise so they took my car in and replaced my syncro for just 6th gear and gave it back to me with a dixed 6th gear but reverse still clunks I told them they never fixed it but the service manager at Ford told me he don't "think" there is a syncro for that gear....I sure as hell don't know....is any of y'all experienceing this problem?

I'm taking my car in next week to get a good thorough check up because I'm at 57k miles and my powertrain Warranty is about to expire and of like to get these problems fixed under warranty ya kno?

I also asked them to check out my cylinders for compression tests and knock rests because on cold starts it really sounds like a lite knocking, not my HPFI as I do know these make a similar noise but I believe I have a trained ear...and when the car was warmed up I would get a concerning amount of blowby coming from oil fill cap, as if like I was blowing as hard as I could at the palm of my hand with my mouth at 1" away is what it felt lile.

I'd love to get these problems fixed before I start seriously modding my car when this warranty ends I'd have to through a rod or something catastrophic as soon is I pull some more power from it.

I'd also like to add that the clutch will not clunk into reverse if I veerrryyy slowly engage it into gear if that helps yall diagnose anything...
Does it still do it if you go into first gear, then reverse?

OP
M
Thread Starter #3
It seems not to when going from 1st to reverse but I think when I revv it a little it will do it. Mainly from when parked then I start it and go right into reverse it will clunk/grind preeetttyy loud it's been doing this for a long time and seems like it's only slightly worsening over the past 40k miles. But if Im in neutral push the clutch in and put it in reverse it will do it and then go back out of reverse let the clutch out then repeat it will do it every time unless I really ease it in

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Mine clunks a little if I don’t go into first- car has 2500 miles on it. Last couple cars did the same thing- I figured it’s because there’s no synchro for reverse.

The reverse gear does have a synchronize. I have access to AllData at work and just looked up the overhaul procedure. The synco is more then likely the issue. I would post the picture showing it but i have no idea how to... sorry.

OP
M
Thread Starter #6
The reverse gear does have a synchronize. I have access to AllData at work and just looked up the overhaul procedure. The synco is more then likely the issue. I would post the picture showing it but i have no idea how to... sorry.
This is good news! there any way I could prove this to my dealer? he just blows me off saying he's "pretty sure there's no synchro" and to just "feather it into reverse Everytime" like dude this noise is like atrociously loud at times and not normal at all. Could you take a pic of the screen or something and dm or text message or email it to me..? I'm ready to crack down on these people come Wednesday...

Well I go back to work Monday, if you want to pm me your cell number I can take a picture of it and text it to you.