Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Control arm bushing tool suggestions

Looking for any advice at the moment for finding a specific tool relating to mainly bushings but doubles as a ball joint press. Came back from AutoZone today and their rental kit does not fit the Moog ball joints I picked up, nor is it small enough to press out the old bushings. If anyone has suggestions for an impact capable tool it would be very much appreciated.

Currently do not have access to any sort of grinder. Was hoping to go the home depot way of diy a press, but no go.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
I've never paid much attention to it but it should be held in with a split ring. The split ring should come out with split ring pliers. You should be able to beat it out with a 5 lb maul after that, put the new one in with some grease and then put the old or a new split ring in.

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

OP
D
Thread Starter #4
Ya removing and pressing the ball joint, but to also double as a bushing press/remover. Don't have a vise to use either. You are correct though, there is a split ring on the OEM joint and my new Moog joint.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
So why not just hit it out with the hammer? That split ring is literally the only thing other than friction holding it in. You shouldn't need a press

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
When you put in the new ball joint you'll need to be gentle but applying something like dielectric grease will make the rubber parts slide in a ton easier. You shouldn't need to hit it too hard.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Arent they called Snap rings? The tools come in internal and External snap ring Pliers for removal* or multi tool in one.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Looking for any advice at the moment for finding a specific tool relating to mainly bushings but doubles as a ball joint press. Came back from AutoZone today and their rental kit does not fit the Moog ball joints I picked up, nor is it small enough to press out the old bushings. If anyone has suggestions for an impact capable tool it would be very much appreciated.

Currently do not have access to any sort of grinder. Was hoping to go the home depot way of diy a press, but no go.

Did they give you the master kit or a silly little 10 piece kit?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Silly little 10 piece, I asked if they had a more expanded version, they chuckled.

I worked for them for a bit....they should have a master kit* It was quite the deposit I remember also.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
D
Thread Starter #13
Ya they wanted a $120 deposit for the 10 piece kit. So I just ordered some maintenance tools, I'm looking forward to having the tool at my convenience.