Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Coolant leak from nowhere!! Tough warranty claim?

DP03

So I took my Fist today to work since the weather was nice. My commute is 95% highway. I was on an on ramp and all of a sudden the car had no power. Looked down and engine light and temp light came on. Limp mode. Unbelievably coincidentally, this happened about 100 yards from the dealer where I bought it. So limped in and spoke with service. I mentioned the relay issue and he said my car did not fall under that. I noticed that my fans were blowing full high, and that after about a 15 min straight highway drive. So I next thought that the tstat was probably stuck closed. Until I called my wife and she said there was a pool of coolant in the garage where the car was parked.

SO, out of nowhere, I am leaking coolant. Car is gently driven most of the time, never tracked. I have Cobb S3 less the dp. So my question is will the dealer try to refuse warranty due to my mods. I obviously did not have a chance in this case to return the tune to stock. Although S3 does not touch the cooling system, so I hope I have an argument. What do you think?

haste

1000 Post Club
Should be fine. I wouldn't even mention the mods as they wouldn't affect the cooling system in that manner.

me32

1000 Post Club
You can take it in but dosent mean you wont get hassel for the mods. Since you have no idea were the coolant is comming from id recommend taking it in.

Not sure how the turbo is set up on this car, but my girlfriends 1.6 escape was losing a good bit of coolant and the dealer found a bad compression seal on a coolant line to the turbo. I think our turbos are oil fed, not coolant though, but not 100% sure. Just tossing out a thought.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

OP
D

DP03

Thread Starter #5
Well, I have the stock turba and my mods (IC, intake, RMM, and tune) do not affect the cooling system so I hope they don't hastle me for the mods. Either way, not very confidence inspiring at 6,500 miles.

Not sure how the turbo is set up on this car, but my girlfriends 1.6 escape was losing a good bit of coolant and the dealer found a bad compression seal on a coolant line to the turbo. I think our turbos are oil fed, not coolant though, but not 100% sure. Just tossing out a thought.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
Yup ours are oil fed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Check the plastic return line from the back of the head right around the HPFP going to the coolant overflow bottle.

OP
D

DP03

Thread Starter #9
Check the plastic return line from the back of the head right around the HPFP going to the coolant overflow bottle.
This is exactly what it was. Of course they said "the guy that did the mods (me) messed it up but before I could get mad said they were covering it under warranty. But my question is what is causing this line to fail. I've heard of others.... Thanks.

I have Cobb S3 less the dp.
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but are you running Cobb stage 3 OTS map with the stock downpipe? If so, you should probably flash stage 2 on it instead.

Good to hear your dealer is stepping up on the coolant issue, I hope mine will be just as accommodating if anything comes up.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

OP
D

DP03

Thread Starter #12
What dealer? I like that they covered it, instead of fighting it.
Upper Marlboro Ford at the intersection of route 301 and 4. I have bought cars from them before (under different ownership and management, though). If they fought me on this one they would have lost. But grateful it didn't come down to that. Service advisor Bill was cool and told me how sweet driving the Focus RS was. Nice guy. This dealership (again, under previous management) told me they would install mods, including turbo and DP, of course subject to warranty limitations. So I think they are a good outfit.

I have modded MANY cars in my life, and I have always lived by honesty. I've never hidden my tunes or mods and if my mods cause problems, I am more than willing to pay for them. If not, then I expect warranty to cover me.

Oh, and for the first time with this car, about 4-5 days ago, I missed a shift, and caught it really quickly. But my car did record an over-rev which they pointed out to me. I was surprised by that since I put the clutch in and let off the gas so quick when I realized it. Wasn't even in "spirited" driving mode, just commuting to work.

OP
D

DP03

Thread Starter #13
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but are you running Cobb stage 3 OTS map with the stock downpipe? If so, you should probably flash stage 2 on it instead.

Good to hear your dealer is stepping up on the coolant issue, I hope mine will be just as accommodating if anything comes up.

I am tuned by Adam of Tuned+. You probably have heard of him on here. He recommended sticking with the stock DP as he loses power on aftermarket DP's on stock turbo. DP unnecessary until you upgrade turbos. Save yourself a lot of time and money. Lots of threads about this on here to read about. Car runs fantastic.

I am tuned by Adam of Tuned+. You probably have heard of him on here. He recommended sticking with the stock DP as he loses power on aftermarket DP's on stock turbo. DP unnecessary until you upgrade turbos. Save yourself a lot of time and money. Lots of threads about this on here to read about. Car runs fantastic.
I have heard of him indeed. The way you wrote it made me think you were on the Cobb stage 3 OTS tune which is mapped with their downpipe installed.

For the money and amount of work to install the downpipe, I also agree that it's not worth it unless it's paired with an upgraded turbo.

Hope they get your car sorted sooner than later!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

airjor13

2000 Post Club
This is exactly what it was. Of course they said "the guy that did the mods (me) messed it up but before I could get mad said they were covering it under warranty. But my question is what is causing this line to fail. I've heard of others.... Thanks.

Knew it! Glad to have helped buddy