Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Couple of issues: Rotational Noise & High speed shaking

Ive got a couple of issues that may or may not be connected and Im looking for your experiences of similar, the car passed its MOT less than a month ago with nothing found, since then the following have appeared

1 - Speeds of 60+ mph wiring/bearing high pitched noise,

I assumed this to be a sticky pad, replacing my brakes has not helped, my next guess would be wheel bearing but the car is only on 45K miles so this seems premature? (its still present when i switch back to stock wheels)

2 - Speeds of circa 120mph

The first issue was present for a few weeks, I have since had RT330 fitted to my car so gave it abit of a run yesterday, but at 120mph it felt like the whole front of the car was vibrating, I did this again today with the clutch held it to rule out the turbo/engine, I plan to change my wheels back again to see if this is an inbalence issue (new wheels and tyres on the front)

Im hopefull these are independent issues but im worried this might be something more expensive ie Drive shafts/Transmission. has anyone experienced either issue and what resolved it for you?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Does this bearing noise become more prominent in others gears when driving say....4th gear....5th gear...6th gear? Does it disappear when you are driving it and slip it into neutral and coast? There is a carrier bearing on the half shaft for the passengerside also that could be a source of noise.

OP
T
Thread Starter #3
Does this bearing noise become more prominent in others gears when driving say....4th gear....5th gear...6th gear? Does it disappear when you are driving it and slip it into neutral and coast? There is a carrier bearing on the half shaft for the passengerside also that could be a source of noise.
I think its wheel speed opposed to engine speed, I think its there in all gears ive not noticed and pitch changes by gear, sticking the clutch in doesnt stop the noise in either of the instances

Would be driver side for me ;) but I think its left front the noise is comming from but then I am sat on the right so the shaft bearing is to my left as well

OP
T
Thread Starter #4
Thanks Krug,

Ive done to the wiggle in the air and this would have been done at the uk MOT also, nothing obvious there is deffiently a point of resistance though, that why I changed the brakes assuming the disc had a high spot/warp

there deffinetly is a noise on agressive right turns, I had put that down to my new semi slick tyres, not really had much of a chance to load it up much on a left turn, need to try find myself a car park to see if there is any differnce this evening,

Thanks Krug,

Ive done to the wiggle in the air and this would have been done at the uk MOT also, nothing obvious there is deffiently a point of resistance though, that why I changed the brakes assuming the disc had a high spot/warp

there deffinetly is a noise on agressive right turns, I had put that down to my new semi slick tyres, not really had much of a chance to load it up much on a left turn, need to try find myself a car park to see if there is any differnce this evening,
Ive got a couple of issues that may or may not be connected and Im looking for your experiences of similar, the car passed its MOT less than a month ago with nothing found, since then the following have appeared

1 - Speeds of 60+ mph wiring/bearing high pitched noise,

I assumed this to be a sticky pad, replacing my brakes has not helped, my next guess would be wheel bearing but the car is only on 45K miles so this seems premature? (its still present when i switch back to stock wheels)

2 - Speeds of circa 120mph

The first issue was present for a few weeks, I have since had RT330 fitted to my car so gave it abit of a run yesterday, but at 120mph it felt like the whole front of the car was vibrating, I did this again today with the clutch held it to rule out the turbo/engine, I plan to change my wheels back again to see if this is an inbalence issue (new wheels and tyres on the front)

Im hopefull these are independent issues but im worried this might be something more expensive ie Drive shafts/Transmission. has anyone experienced either issue and what resolved it for you?
When I put on Direzza ZIII’3 I was having a noise and shake that couldn’t be balanced out or diagnosed. Then I ran over a giant bolt. I was on my way back to Minnesota and was able to set up an appt at Tire Rack in South Bend. They replaced the flat tire and checked all 4 for runout. Turns out one had a high spot causing the noise. I’ve also had a belt come loose on AS3’s which was also hard to diagnose. I forced them to replace it and voila!

Thanks Krug,

So what’s the prognosis? 🧐

OP
T
Thread Starter #7
so

Highspeed issue may now have been found, it was the front splitter, as i pushed through the vibration to 130 it started to hit the floor which sanded a fair chunk of fiberglass away,

the rotational noise is still unknown, cant be replicated with the car in the air, seems to disapear or be greatly reduced on the stock wheels(4 x Pilot sport 3's), (aftermarket wheels are Speedline Corse Turini's 2 x Pilot Sport 3's 2 x NS2R's)