Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Crash bar

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
Barrowed this pic from another members post Wicked Fist , because it high lighted so well what I want to discuss, that being the crash bar. 666f2d97fb14d0fb20656d19fba3e867.jpg
To me it looks like Ford tried to stuff 10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag here. The bar is blocking at least half the radiator, it's no wonder some members are running into coolant issues as their power levels increase. Air coming threw the grill is hitting a wall and deflecting away from the rad. The stock intercooler, is in clean air, but if you mount a bigger intercooler it to will be blocked. Even if you mount it in front of the bar, the bar will block the air flow on the back side. I see two solutions for this, one by the use of the after market crash bar. Or drilling holes through the bar then dimple die the holes to restore some of the strength. What do you all think?

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Barrowed this pic from another members post, because it high lighted so well what I want to discuss, that being the crash bar. View attachment 44280
To me it looks like Ford tried to stuff 10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag here. The bar is blocking at least half the radiator, it's no wonder some members are running into coolant issues as their power levels increase. Air coming threw the grill is hitting a wall and deflecting away from the rad. The stock intercooler, is in clean air, but if you mount a bigger intercooler it to will be blocked. Even if you mount it in front of the bar, the bar will block the air flow on the back side. I see two solutions for this, one by the use of the after market crash bar. Or drilling holes through the bar then dimple die the holes to restore some of the strength. What do you all think?
You're not taking into account aerodynamics and front end lift at speeds.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Magnetic

Barrowed this pic from another members post Wicked Fist , because it high lighted so well what I want to discuss, that being the crash bar. View attachment 44280
Does anyone still offer aftermarket crash bars?

The mishimoto radiator will pull air through the radiator regardless because of the seal on it's fan shroud. I dont see this being an issue with their radiator. But stock yes 100%!

OP
Old Mike Emerson

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
Thread Starter #5
Does anyone still offer aftermarket crash bars?

The mishimoto radiator will pull air through the radiator regardless because of the seal on it's fan shroud. I dont see this being an issue with their radiator. But stock yes 100%!
TB Performance Products has the crash braces front and rear and other braces to control torque steer and improve handling. Fiesta-ST-Front-Crash-Bar-3_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Old Mike Emerson

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
Thread Starter #8
Not bad! I'd like to have the white one. $500 isn't too bad if insurance will cover in a worst case scenario.

Would you happen to know?
According to the owner, he has had several clients get into accidents with no insurance problems, but I would think it would depend on the company and how bad the accident was. Serious bodily injury or death would play a roll.

Magnetic

According to the owner, he has had several clients get into accidents with no insurance problems, but I would think it would depend on the company and how bad the accident was. Serious bodily injury or death would play a roll.
Yeah def makes sense.

I mean if it was my death it wouldn't really matter cuz I'd be dead but good to know LoL

As long as if I live my crash bar wont be blamed for the other persons you know... LoL

OP
Old Mike Emerson

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
Thread Starter #11
I have this strange feeling that, that crash bar can probably take more of a a beating than the OEM one LoL
My thoughts also.
Will the airbag sensor stuff still work?
Good question, he did not talk about factory sensors, but it should not be hard to mount.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
I have this strange feeling that, that crash bar can probably take more of a a beating than the OEM one LoL
That's not the point. The whole front of the car including the crash bar is designed to be a huge crumple zone when you get into an accident; absorbing the crash energy so that your body does not. Changing it for a more solid crash bar changes the whole dynamic of the crash/crumple zone and likely not for the better but who knows it's not like anyone's has ever tested the aftermarket bars to compare to the original.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
So you're saying the more air goes into the engine bay the more lift is created when driving.
It is a distinct possibility. Otherwise the Ford engineers would likely have left the grill more open instead of blocking parts of it. I mean, think about it. They did that for a reason and the only thing that I can think of would be aero. Because they could have just had a fully open grill with a painted black crash bar behind it.

Last edited:

Magnetic

It is a distinct possibility. Otherwise the Ford engineers would likely have left the grill more open instead of blocking parts of it. I mean, think about it. They did that for a reason and the only thing that I can think of would be aero. Because they could have just had a fully open grill with a painted black crash bar behind it.

I think it was cheaper for them to not have to design a decent looking crash bar and then paint it. The plastic on the grill was cheaper than pain on the crash bar.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
I think it was cheaper for them to not have to design a decent looking crash bar and then paint it. The plastic on the grill was cheaper than pain on the crash bar.
I know with the Focus RS they blocked off part of the grill because it cooled the intercooler too much and they were getting icing inside. Obviously that's in the colder climates but it does show that too much can be detrimental.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
That could very well be the case, but that will not stop some insurance companies from arguing it was still at fault by not being subjected to, and passing all of the same various NHSTA/DOT crash tests/regs as the factory boat anchor 'beam', and therefore trying to deny payouts on any/all claims where this part is involved.

Last edited:

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
As mentioned, changing it out for a tubular crash bar, will increase air flow and etc. However you run the risk of totaling your car from an accident that may have otherwise not caused as much damage. The OE bar crumples and displaces energy though it, a tubular will transfer much more energy to the frame rails that it is bolted to. This can cause severe structural damage in the event of an accident. We run one on our track car, but I would not for a street driven car.