Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Custom car grills install DIY

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Here we go.....

1. Remove the 4 push pin style clips from your upper radiator shield/ upper bumper cover.

2. Remove Both headlight assemblies by removing the Torx bit bolts. Then remove the assemblies at the same time unplugging them from the car completely and setting the aside somewhere safe or on a blanket so you dont scratch the lenses.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

3. Remove the two torx bit screws from each wheel well along with the push pin style clips.

4.Remove the three Bolts from each side of the bumper that connect it into the fenders. While the headlights are out dont forget to unplug the Fog lights either.

5. Remove bumper assembly from vehicle. Then bring into a well lit area for install of the lower grill that you got from Customcargrills. Let your Mans best friend wonder what the hell you are doing and come over to monitor and question your abilities.

6. Remove the lower OEM Style worthless couldn't stop a good dam Boulder grill... it will simply just pull out / un-snap from the bumper.Then grab any detail spray you have to clean up any remainder dirt or debris that has collected over the thousands of miles getting beat on and bug filled.

7. Now comes the fun part get the new customcargrill and get it setup where you want it in the lower opening. I then zip tied it to the bars to hold it in place while I got the vinyl dipped half clips in position from behind the bumper.

8. After you figure out where you want to mount your Half clips drill holes to start the #10 Screws with Phillip's Stainless style heads that are painted black with 1/4 stainless washers. I used a little tight access screwdriver with my 1/4 ratchet to get it started and put in the bumper. Then have your accomplice come over and patronize you for not throwing his Toys for him to fetch.

9. Tighten the Screws all down and you can pull down on the rubber boarder tubing to get rid of any tiny gaps also.

10. Install bumper in reverse order....sit down and blow the Froth off a cup and revel in your new found glory lower intercooler grill....that will protect and look nicer than that plastic piece of shit Ford gave us!

If anyone is interested in a grill please PM me and we can get it figured out with Customcargrills. I'd also like to thank Matt of custom car grills in helping facilitate this project for the Fiesta ST. This was done completely on my own Dollar also....no members funds were required to complete this project besides my own. Plus...I don't dillydally ...I get shit done!

Last edited:

jeff

2000 Post Club
Great write up thanks Aaron. Looks good. Love the dog pics too. The only thing missing here is a picture of your neglected Typhoon in the background that you're gonna sell me one day.

looks good, is he able to do different styles of grill mesh too?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #5
I will ask him....see what he says. I do know others are harder to work with so that's why we went with the mesh that I am using.[raceflag]

I will ask him....see what he says. I do know others are harder to work with so that's why we went with the mesh that I am using.[raceflag]
I wanted to do honeycomb upper and lower so if we can do that I'm game, I'll figure out the upper

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Man, I dunno if it was something I was missing, but after I removed all the fasteners I still had some resistance towards the bottom of the bumper cover. I couldn't see anything holding it, but I stopped before breaking anything lol. For what I was doing, loosening the bumper cover was enough to give me sufficient room to wiggle my hands in.
But this write up was still super useful. Thanks @TyphoonFiST !

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #9
It's usually the Bumper cover Piece that is directly behind the license plate that causes the feeling. There should be nothing else holding it after you remove the 3 bolts from the fenders on each side. Then the 2 wheel well/ splash shield bolts and 1 Push on each side. Then the center license plate bracket deal that is a part of the bumper behind it. If I was there I'd show you you!

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #11
I did mine a few weeks ago. Came out great! View attachment 28931
I wanted to do that material also but since I was the Test baby....we thought we would try with the easiest stuff to work with and I'm more than satisfied! Thanks Matt@customcargrilles!

Looks fantastic!

It's usually the Bumper cover Piece that is directly behind the license plate that causes the feeling. There should be nothing else holding it after you remove the 3 bolts from the fenders on each side. Then the 2 wheel well/ splash shield bolts and 1 Push on each side. Then the center license plate bracket deal that is a part of the bumper behind it. If I was there I'd show you you!

No biggie. But I'll definitely check it out next time I have to take off the bumper. Thanks for the help!

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #16
Hi, that looks FANTASTIC!

Is that a custom piece that you made yourself, or did you have the same guy/company (Matt@customcargrilles) that made the one @TyphoonFiST has, fab that up for you?

Thanks!
You can contact Matt @customcargrills and get whatever type of material you would like. Some are harder to work with than others....remember that*

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
You can contact Matt @customcargrills and get whatever type of material you would like. Some are harder to work with than others....remember that*
Thanks!!

I just checked out Customcargrills, and it looks like they now make the insert with the honeycomb to match the OEM upper.

Now my only issue is now deciding between a flat/matte or gloss...hmmmmmm:unsure:

Even though the upper is gloss, the lower stock slats piece (that is being replaced) are flat/matte, and so is the foglight housing. I reckon flat/matte would be the way to go.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
@TyphonnFIST, I have bad eyesight when it come to certain things, could you tell me if the one you have is gloss or matte?

And upon further inspection, the one on customcargrills looks to be the same as yours, so I'm going to email them about doing it in OEM honeycomb... but at the same time, I think the mesh type (like yours) is actually better for rock/debris protection, as the openings are more tightly spaced.