Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Dang Clunking Noise...

Ace

Hey there,
I need some help figuring out what the heck is going on. Read around that people are having clunking noises when going into reverse but here's my issue: I hear clunking/ banging noise when I roll in reverse only over small little bumps on the driveway or parking spots. Just a small elevation change makes my car go clunk, sounds like the front but passengers say rear. Tested this and did a hard acceleration going reverse and she made a big clunk. Afterwards, with a hard acceleration forward, it seemed to have clunked back into place or something and did not have an issue after the initial take off.

Question; What in the world is causing this clunking while moving in reverse?

Details: Absolutely not issues in steering or hard acceleration forward. I do have a Cobb rear motor mount. Ford says $110 to "diagnose" the issue.

OP
A

Ace

Thread Starter #3
You have warranty why would they charge you
I know right? I'm not sure, they said I exceed 36k miles or something so there was an issue. I'll have to talk to the dealership I got her from instead of the local one.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
5,000 miles on my '16 and I've had the dreaded clunk for as long as I can remember. I thought the rear shocks were blown (were not) but even with the Konis I have on now it still does it when I back outta my driveway. Installing coils this weekend. I'm going over every dam bolt. I'll report back.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
As promised, coils installed this weekend. As i backed out of driveway i awaited the dreaded clunk. Nothing happened. Not a peep. I can't explain why the Koni and OEM shocks were doing it and not the MeisterR shocks. But I would definitely say there's something going on with the rear shocks.

Justjake

Hi guys, I have been lurking for a little while now and this is my first post.

I too have noticed the clunking noise, but mine is at low speeds over bumpy roads. I thought it may have been with the shocks as well. Then I was moving some stuff and pulled the rear privacy cover and set the seats down, low and behold the clunk is gone. I believe it to be the driver side rear passenger seat clunking in the latch. I have done too much investigating yet but it seems to make the same sound when I shake the seat while its in its latched position.