Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

DHM Race Intercooler and Crashbar Insurance concerns

Ok so I guess this could apply to the Davinci Crash bar as well, but I have read a variety of different things going back and forth about the topic of installing a DHM crash bar and dealing with insurance in the event of an accident. So I'm curious to know, does anyone have any actual real world experience with an insurance company denying a claim or attempting to deny a claim in an incident where someone had an aftermarket crash bar installed? If so, what company and how did you approach the matter?

Also, I think I've only seen pictures of one car that got into a front end accident with a crash bar in place, has anyone else unfortunately had an accident involving one? How did the car hold up and what were the details of the accident?

I was on the fence about picking one up, but then one came available for sale in my local area and I jumped on it. I haven't cleaned it up yet, but I need to do that and then planned on installing, but wanted to get input of people who may have actual experience in the insurance adjuster field or who have dealt with it directly.

I already know it's meant for "off road use only," and it's not "dot approved."

Thanks!

zanethan

I'm sure I'll catch a lot of flack for this but yes your insurance company will likely deny a claim if you have an aftermarket crash bar installed. In installing the crash bar you are altering safety systems designed to keep you safe in the event of an accident. The factory crash bar has been tested rigorously to prove that your car is safe and went through hundreds of different crashes to prove this. The DHM crash bar was made by some guys in a garage and was never tested. (I'm not bashing the product but stating a fact.) The DHM crash bar may, in fact, be safer but there is no data available to prove this. Therefore, in installing it you are doing so at your own risk.

It is also worth mentioning that there are insurance carriers out there that cater to modified cars and that if you notify them in advance of the mod they will be ok with it and cover it. Your coverage will likely cost more due to my reasons above but at least you'll know you're covered. If you don't want to go that route you could always gamble on the fact that most adjusters don't know anything about cars and that they might not notice. If you go that route I'd suggest painting it black and understand that if you lie about not having aftermarket parts on your car that could be considered fraud which could result in serious fines/jail time.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
My opinion below (no direct experience with your question)..

Man, I would never modify the crash structure of vehicle as small as ours that I drive on the street. There is so much time and effort spent on engineering the structures of these vehicles nowadays to ensure that those inside survive with minimal injuries during crash events that it just isn't worth it to modify these structures to fit a larger intercooler or look cool.

I think all competent insurance adjusters would realize this in the event of a crash and would use it as a tool to deny liability. I have never read my policy contract in full but I doubt repairs would be covered to the front end UNLESS your insurance premiums are based on an agreed cash value for the vehicle in its' modified state. This is possible, to my understanding, and is how most folks with classics or project cars insure their vehicles.

If this is on a track-only racecar, fine. But you better have a full cage, 5-point harnesses, and are always wearing a helmet to ensure that you remain safe in the event of a crash or rollover.

For reference: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/ford/fiesta-4-door-hatchback/2016

OP
B
Thread Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. Realistically I have read similar information and suggestions, I'm more or less seeing if someone has gone through the process. My roommate works for auto insurance companies in the claims and arbitration departments (albeit not an adjuster) and has said she has never encountered a claim being denied for modifications to the vehicle. I'm sure she deals mostly with regular humans who don't modify their cars, so I'm sure her exposure is not that vast at the same time. She said most of the time the companies will not cover the cost of aftermarket parts or only a portion of the depreciated value, but not usually a denial. But again, I realize this is safety equipment we're discussing.

I do plan on having my car insured for additional coverage to supplement some of the modifications (which my insurance company does do), since I lost quite a bit when my last Saabaru was flooded while I was out of town and they wouldn't cover most of the modifications. Looking cool is not my concern whatsoever. The crashbar is black and will remain that way. I don't have a loud BOV, I run a catted DP with a very modest Cobb exhaust, ST200 airbox and generally keep the car very mellow and quiet. I'm on an X37 now, but planning on bit turbo toward the end of the year/start of next. The DHM happened to pop up and I thought moreso in the fact of future proofing the performance aspect of the car.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Whenever you modify a safety system, which the crash bar is a highly engineering safety component, you run a risk of claim denial and bodily hurt. Think of the legal issues if you remove a certified safety component for one that isn't, get into a crash, and either you and your passenger are hurt. What if your passenger decide that the modifications resulted in harm that would have not happened if the car had all of the safety equipment installed. You might be on the hook for that. Your insurance company won't be going to bat for you since they insured a stock vehicle and you changed that with parts that are intended for off-road only. I wouldn't want to open myself up to that risk. The older I get, the less and less I want to mess with safety stuff. Working in engineering, having a degree in engineering, and knowing what one of the largest suppliers of crash beams for the auto industry does to maximize safety, I am even less inclined to mess with the bumpers.

I do agree that the majority of modifications are considered to be ok in terms of an insurance company. I had no issues with the 3dCarbon front lip on my 2011 when it was hit by a deer. The insurance company covered the repair of the part, along with the rest of the damage. When it gets into safety critical modifications, things start to change. Seats, airbags, steering wheels, bumpers, seat belts, glass, or any critical body structure opens up a lot more question.

OP
B
Thread Starter #6
The more and more I ponder on it and the fact that my girlfriend drives the car sometimes as well (obviously no where near as careful as I am with it), I'm leaning more towards selling the DHM setup.