Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Diagnosing a CEL code, p0017

felopr

Hey guys
Lately, I have been having a problem with a CEL code, p0017 only
This is a code that checks if there is a difference in timing between the camshaft and the crankshaft, in this case, the exhaust camshaft. If it was intake camshaft was p0016
The timing side of the car is untouched, stock
Here is my troubleshooting
I started with replacing the obvious things first, exhaust Camshaft position sensor and exhaust camshaft phaser solenoid, both Motorcraft, still CEL code
The cable to both camshaft sensors is in good condition
The cable to the crankshaft sensor looks good, I did buy the crankshaft sensor both haven't replaced it yet because you have to do something with a machine when you change the sensor, that I don't have, something to do with knock learning.
My VTI exhaust camshaft (camshaft phaser) position error is stuck at -22 degrees and my intake is stuck at -2 degrees while at idle and cruising. This is supposed to be at 0. You can see this with a cobb. Since the position error is in a stuck value, and not fluctuating, is either my camshaft phaser is bad or my timing belt jump a tooth on the exhaust camshaft
the car starts fine but idles ruff, slow as fkcu (cuz of CEL) but cruises fine
Any input from you guys would be appreciated

PunkST

2000 Post Club
What is your year and milage? Ferd says the belt should last 180k or something dumb like that. It wouldnt suprise me if the belt/ tensioner dont last that long at all.

OP
felopr

felopr

Thread Starter #3
What is your year and milage? Ferd says the belt should last 180k or something dumb like that. It wouldnt suprise me if the belt/ tensioner dont last that long at all.
75k, 5 years

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
When was the last time you updated your Ap3? If you replace the cranks sensor it must calibrated also* FYI.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
felopr

felopr

Thread Starter #5
When was the last time you updated your Ap3? If you replace the cranks sensor it must calibrated also* FYI.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
AP3 was updated like 2-3 weeks ago, this was after the CEL code begin to start appearing
I haven't changed the crank sensor because of said calibration, I do have it in hand if i ever wanted to change it

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I know that with certain model cars the screens that are in the VVT solenoids will fall out and disappear into the Black hole of oil or into the oil filter. Causing too much flow* something to look at also!

PunkST

2000 Post Club
The screen could also be completely clogged. Seen that on an svtf that kept having timing trouble after re doing the timing a bunch of times.

OP
felopr

felopr

Thread Starter #9
Have you looked at any of the VVT solenoids?
I know that with certain model cars the screens that are in the VVT solenoids will fall out and disappear into the Black hole of oil or into the oil filter. Causing too much flow* something to look at also!
The screen could also be completely clogged. Seen that on an svtf that kept having timing trouble after re doing the timing a bunch of times.
i did check both my vvt solenoids and the screen where clean and still there. I tested them with a 12 volt input and they appear to be working (actuating when i input some voltage), i tested with some brand new Motorcraft and is still the same

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Past checking crank sensor voltage and ruling that out it would be then time to pull the covers and check timing.