Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

diagnosing turbo surge issue please help!

first off, 2014 model and the only engine mods are the symposer delete and a 2jr intake. no tuning, stock everything else. was driving last night normally and lifted off the throttle in 3rd gear and got a very loud whoop-whoop-whoop from the turbo. pretty positive this was surge as the check engine light and wrench illuminated immediately, went into limp mode and shut down. after doing lots of research i suspected the diverter valve but after looking at it i dont see anything wrong.

first question, does the disassemble any further?

second, if the valve is fine (which i will upgrade eventually anyway) what is my next step?

i haven’t pulled codes yet so that will be coming shortly

OP
jfac952
Thread Starter #4
update: as a preventative measure ive ordered a turbosmart kompact em bov vr2 and i will be purchasing a code reader tonight or tomorrow. more info coming soon

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Was the noise you heard high pitched? How many miles are on the car?

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
fairly high pitched and much louder than the typical flutter. just under 58k
Does the piston in the Diverter valve still move up and down freely when you push on it? I am thinking failed valve but that shouldn’t cause limp mode immediately as you describe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
jfac952
Thread Starter #8
Does the piston in the Diverter valve still move up and down freely when you push on it? I am thinking failed valve but that shouldn’t cause limp mode immediately as you describe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
there seems to be some resistance but its not locked up. regardless its getting replaced and i have the battery disconnected until the bov is installed. codes will be pulled prior to next start up as well

SrsBsns

I would pull the codes now if you can. That would be really helpful to at least figure out what it could be.

Did you check all of the connections to the intercooler/turbo?

OP
jfac952
Thread Starter #10
all hoses and lines look good, no leaking fluids or anything. thats partly why i find this so weird especially considering how dramatically it stopped working. i unfortunately wont have a way to pull the codes until i can get a buddy to run me to the parts store but that will be either this evening or tomorrow evening after work.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Id also look at the turbo control valve. ( electronic wastegate control) its right there in the area. Ive had mine spazz out and dump all boost before in really rainy shit weather. Then after clearing codes and reflashing the map it was fine.. Just another thing to be aware of. The codes will help diagnose things. Get those first.

OP
jfac952
Thread Starter #12
i purchased one from my local dealer but im waiting before i open/install it. basically if the bov fixes my issue i would be able to return it. hopefully the codes tomorrow will shed some light.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
all hoses and lines look good, no leaking fluids or anything. thats partly why i find this so weird especially considering how dramatically it stopped working. i unfortunately wont have a way to pull the codes until i can get a buddy to run me to the parts store but that will be either this evening or tomorrow evening after work.
They "Look good" or did you actually pull a wrench to see if they were all Tight and in the correct places on the Hot and cold charge pipes? If it was me id be checking them all just for peace of mind.

OP
jfac952
Thread Starter #14
so i finally bought a code reader and got like 20 codes. the short of it is fuel pump, intake and exhaust cam position, and evap. after a quick search on the forum i came across the thread for the 2jr intake (which i have) and someone else had the exact same codes. the problem? a 10 amp fuse for emission control (f24). pulled the fuse and sure enough its blown. replaced it and the car seems fine. traction control and abs lights are still on so i disconnected the battery last night and hopefully that will clear that up. more details soon

link to thread: https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/2j-racing-cowl-induction-intake.4475/page-27#post-98045

tl;dr fuse 24 was blown

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
so i finally bought a code reader and got like 20 codes. the short of it is fuel pump, intake and exhaust cam position, and evap. after a quick search on the forum i came across the thread for the 2jr intake (which i have) and someone else had the exact same codes. the problem? a 10 amp fuse for emission control (f24). pulled the fuse and sure enough its blown. replaced it and the car seems fine. traction control and abs lights are still on so i disconnected the battery last night and hopefully that will clear that up. more details soon

link to thread: https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/2j-racing-cowl-induction-intake.4475/page-27#post-98045

tl;dr fuse 24 was blown
When my boost solenoid wire got nicked and the wire was open and shorted....it blew the saMe fuse...cray cray! Glad it for sorted!

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...r-but-doesnt-complete-the-firing-cycle.20033/

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
jfac952
Thread Starter #16
When my boost solenoid wire got nicked and the wire was open and shorted....it blew the saMe fuse...cray cray! Glad it for sorted!

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...r-but-doesnt-complete-the-firing-cycle.20033/

good to know because i haven’t replaced that yet and i still have the part so i double check that today.

side note: abs and trac light went off this morning after about 500 ft.

also, the new bov is GREAT! sounds awesome and actually makes the 2jr intake a little less obnoxious so win-win! lol

OP
jfac952
Thread Starter #17
update: fuse blew again today so something definitely isnt right. boost fluctuates quite a bit when im WOT so my first thought is wastegate solenoid but ill keep you guys posted

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Look at / inspect all the wiring....its shorting that's what is causing it to blow

Last edited:
OP
jfac952
Thread Starter #19
Look at / inspect all the wiring....its shorting that's what is causing it to blow.

definitely will do. sounds like you had the same problem im having. fortunately i have tomorrow afternoon and all of tuesday to look at it

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
definitely will do. sounds like you had the same problem im having. fortunately i have tomorrow afternoon and all of tuesday to look at it
Wanna stop over put on my Serpentine belt?

Last edited: