Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Did some test drives today at a few dealerships..

Did some test drives today at various dealerships. Not looking to trade in my Fiesta at all. However, over the last year of ownership I've been thinking about the other cars I was interested in at the time of purchase and wondering whether or not I truly made the right decision with the FiST.

Over all? Pretty happy to say that the test drives all reinforced my decision, for one reason or another. Not all of the reasons being that the Fiesta is the better car. In some cases it came down to what was better for the money and my financial situation. Though admittedly, the test drive of an FR-S felt boring and unimpressive. It may be as fast as the ST, but it certainly didnt feel like it.

In the end the only car I test drove that I could see myself being happier with would have been a WRX. Unfortunately the market for them in the PNW is a bit steep. But I'm not losing sleep over it and still really enjoy my FiST.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
In the end the only car I test drove that I could see myself being happier with would have been a WRX. Unfortunately the market for them in the PNW is a bit steep.
Aren't they at least $5K to $8K more than a comparably equipped FiST?

My brother suggested a base/stripped WRX to me (instead of the FiST) because of my love for AWD, despite him knowing I would never buy a car from a Nippon nameplate company, especially one that is now majority owned by Toyota.

OP
Strife
Thread Starter #4

My brother suggested a base/stripped WRX to me (instead of the FiST) because of my love for AWD, despite him knowing I would never buy a car from a Nippon nameplate company, especially one that is now majority owned by Toyota.
Yeah, they're quite a bit more. A base model is some what closer to the price range of the FiST, but it would still be a few grand more when all is said and done. The WRX felt very refined and I could tell where that extra money went.

neeqness

1000 Post Club

If I were to choose a different car for my next one, this would be it.

Sent using Tapatalk

I would never buy a car from a Nippon nameplate company, especially one that is now majority owned by Toyota.
Per: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1023690_update-toyota-nearly-doubles-stake-in-subaru-parent-fhi

"Toyota confirmed today it is increasing its stake in Fuji Heavy Industries (Subaru?s parent company) from current 8.7% levels to 16.5%."

This is all I can find on Toyota's investment in Subaru; no where near a majority share.

Apparently they are getting more involved with Mazda nowadays.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Per: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1023690_update-toyota-nearly-doubles-stake-in-subaru-parent-fhi

"Toyota confirmed today it is increasing its stake in Fuji Heavy Industries (Subaru?s parent company) from current 8.7% levels to 16.5%."

This is all I can find on Toyota's investment in Subaru; no where near a majority share.

Apparently they are getting more involved with Mazda nowadays.
Thanks for that info, as I always heard that it was closer to 50%, or more, most recently. [thumb]

As much as GM is hated (on here, and in general in this country), IF they still owned a decent part of F.H.I., then I would have maybe considered a WRX/STI.

Waterfan

My buying process last year was similar to yours. 3-way tie between

-New 2016 VW GTI S, 6MT Performance (LSD)
-New or CPO 2015/2016 WRX 6MT base
-New or CPO 2014-2016 Fiesta ST

Found a CPO 2014 FiST + RECAROS and NAV at good, if not great, OTD price and being the overall most fun to drive, pre-existing desire for small/light car, value for fun, and cost of maintenance sealed the deal.

EDIT: Drove the BRZ and liked it, but the premium for RWD and sports car packaging (i.e. cramped/limited usable space) was simply not for me.

OP
Strife
Thread Starter #9
I was in the market for a GTI as well, but I couldn't find any at a reasonable price without driving a few hours to go check them out. Not that this would have been terribly inconvenient, I just got really excited about the FiST when I drove it. I may test drive a GTI some time soon as well to see if it becomes a contender against the WRX for a future purchase.

OP
Strife
Thread Starter #11
I work at a Toyota dealer and drive FRS' fairly regularly, I'm always disappointed with the engine.
It's really a shame. I love the styling of the exterior and interior. But the engine leaves a lot to be desired. I'd like to buy one used in the future and add some boost or something.

meFiSTo

I like my car and still have some possible adjustments coming, but after I drove both the FoST and FiST at the STOA last year, I came to the conclusion that the FoST is probably a better platform for what I wanted to do with the car. It felt much more stable at the top end, in turns, etc. at the track. Easier to drive faster. Having said that, I'm happy with my car and figure to have it for, well, probably as long as I am likely to have a gas-powered stick shift at this point. Things like the Mazda MX-5 Miata RF might sway me i a few years for around town and road trip fun, but I'd trade one of our old vehicles for that. Pretty sure I'll eventually pull the TurboTech motor mounts out of the FiST though. I appreciate them at the track, but around town? Oy.

Waterfan

I was in the market for a GTI as well, but I couldn't find any at a reasonable price without driving a few hours to go check them out. Not that this would have been terribly inconvenient, I just got really excited about the FiST when I drove it. I may test drive a GTI some time soon as well to see if it becomes a contender against the WRX for a future purchase.
The new GTI is simply amazing in S trim with manual and LSD. It really moves and is only ECU tuning away from ~260 whp with technology and interior quality second-to-none. But is like many of the critics said, "too capable/comfortable" and is missing any sort of special/sporty feel to it. Typically German, they won't even let you fully defeat the ESC/TCS. They targeted the GTI at the mass market and it is an amazing overall package, at a premium. (and worst of all you have to deal with VW Dealers and VW Service and pathetic-by-comparison tuning community)

TL;DR - WRX, FiST and FRS/BRZ are each way more fun to drive. It was almost a coin toss between FiST and WRX for me.

Zormecteon

The reason for me the FiST or FoST over the GTI... parts and labor. I plan to keep the car for a long while. I haven't done this, but go ahead and price a headlight assembly, a wiper arm, and a starter motor for each. I'm pretty sure about what you'll find. Then call the VW dealer and ask about shop rates, then do the same for the Ford dealer. .. Check out the Subbie in the same way. .. .. I had one VW (rabbit convertible) and never again will buy foreign because of this.

The FiST over the FoST because the FoST just seemed like too large of a car. .. (my scale of things is most likely warped by the Sprite), but the FoST just seemed HUGE.

My 2?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
To me, even the FiST seems too large (for what is labelled by most in this country as a 'tiny' car), as I wish that Ford could have paired even 500-600 more pounds off of it yet, but then I guess it would lose ALL of it's very desirable, interior hauling space, "practicality". [dunno]

My brother and nephew each own a GTI Autobahn. As good cars they are, I just could not bring myself to loving them. Plus as mentioned about, the costs of maintaining a German car......

meFiSTo

The reason for me the FiST or FoST over the GTI... parts and labor. I plan to keep the car for a long while. I haven't done this, but go ahead and price a headlight assembly, a wiper arm, and a starter motor for each. I'm pretty sure about what you'll find. Then call the VW dealer and ask about shop rates, then do the same for the Ford dealer. .. Check out the Subbie in the same way. .. .. I had one VW (rabbit convertible) and never again will buy foreign because of this.

The FiST over the FoST because the FoST just seemed like too large of a car. .. (my scale of things is most likely warped by the Sprite), but the FoST just seemed HUGE.

My 2?
I used to think the FoST was a big car as well, but after driving it at STOA, I changed my opinion. It mostly feels more stable, but it still handles very well. It's probably the case that for mountain road canyon carving that the FiST is more maneuverable at speed. I can't say one way or the other as I don't drive hard on the street. Ever. Any street. The closest I come is laying on the accelerator when joining the freeway with a short runup (like joining the 520 bridge traffic headed east from Seattle at the E. Lake Washington onramp; you gotta lay it on there for the 20 yard entry window). In any event, at Miller, the FoST just flat out was easier to drive fast vs. the somewhat finicky FiST. My FiST is fun to drive at the track, but I know I could drive the FoST to lower times (stock or modified). It's just more stable.

As for parts, yeah, German cars are not fun to get fixed or to replace plastic bits. I broke that hinge on the center console/arm rest on my Audi. $400. I decided to keep the one with the snapped hinge. When I need to open it, I just pop the thing off. LOL. Otherwise, armrest works fine.

Zormecteon

I used to think the FoST was a big car as well, but after driving it at STOA, I changed my opinion. It mostly feels more stable, but is still handles very well. It's probably the case that for mountain road canyon carving that the FiST is more maneuverable at speed. I can't say one way or the other as I don't drive hard on the street. Ever. Any street. The closest I come is laying on the accelerator when joining the freeway with a short runup (like joining the 520 bridge traffic headed east from Seattle at the E. Lake Washington onramp; you gotta lay it on there for the 20 yard entry window). In any event, at Miller, the FoST just flat out was easier to drive fast vs. the somewhat finicky FiST. My FiST is fun to drive at the track, but I know I could drive the FoST to lower times (stock or modified). It's just more stable.

As for parts, yeah, German cars are not fun to get fixed or to replace plastic bits. I broke that hinge on the center console/arm rest on my Audi. $400. I decided to keep the one with the snapped hinge. When I need to open it, I just pop the thing off. LOL. Otherwise, armrest works fine.
Too bad we couldn't have attended STOA BEFORE purchasing.. There is no doubt in my mind that the FoST is the faster car. I could feel the extra power (to weight) around the track, but it wasn't as "sharp" on turn in. I believe that the FiST would do better in a slalom (from a running start), and not just because it is narrower. .. .... .. .. Even though I was trading from a 2000 Focus ZX3, the newer ones just felt too big... My plan is that this is my last car. I'm retired. I've seen way too many (old) people make their last car a big luxury cruiser--a reward for years of toil--then 10 or 15 years later be shrunk down behind the wheel afraid to drive the big thing [there's evidence that as you age, your peripheral vision gets wider, most likely to make up for slower reflexes] down the road, and unable to afford the fuel to run the boat. So I wanted something small and economical, (not needing four doors or having to carry more than two people except on very rare occasions) yet still sporty... The tiny trunk is seldom overwhelmed, I'm averaging 29+ mpg (over 35,000 miles). That's better economy than the Focus. I've driven it from Washington State to Utah (STOA) and back, to Illinois and back and am planning to do to New York and back next spring. ..

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
My plan is that this is my last car. I'm retired. I've seen way too many (old) people make their last car a big luxury cruiser--a reward for years of toil--then 10 or 15 years later be shrunk down behind the wheel afraid to drive the big thing [there's evidence that as you age, your peripheral vision gets wider, most likely to make up for slower reflexes] down the road, and unable to afford the fuel to run the boat. So I wanted something small and economical, (not needing four doors or having to carry more than two people except on very rare occasions) yet still sporty... The tiny trunk is seldom overwhelmed, I'm averaging 29+ mpg (over 35,000 miles). That's better economy than the Focus.
^^^EXACTLY!! [twothumb]

I am in the same boat, and I would rather end it all right now, then drive a stereotypical, 'given', "go to" old timers' car (currently an Avalon, or Camry, which I HATE anyways! ;) ) for the rest of my days. [nono]

This car makes one look forward to driving, instead of it being a dreaded, point a to point B, appliance piloting, 'chore'! [:)]

meFiSTo

Too bad we couldn't have attended STOA BEFORE purchasing.. There is no doubt in my mind that the FoST is the faster car. I could feel the extra power (to weight) around the track, but it wasn't as "sharp" on turn in. I believe that the FiST would do better in a slalom (from a running start), and not just because it is narrower. .. .... .. .. Even though I was trading from a 2000 Focus ZX3, the newer ones just felt too big... My plan is that this is my last car. I'm retired. I've seen way too many (old) people make their last car a big luxury cruiser--a reward for years of toil--then 10 or 15 years later be shrunk down behind the wheel afraid to drive the big thing [there's evidence that as you age, your peripheral vision gets wider, most likely to make up for slower reflexes] down the road, and unable to afford the fuel to run the boat. So I wanted something small and economical, (not needing four doors or having to carry more than two people except on very rare occasions) yet still sporty... The tiny trunk is seldom overwhelmed, I'm averaging 29+ mpg (over 35,000 miles). That's better economy than the Focus. I've driven it from Washington State to Utah (STOA) and back, to Illinois and back and am planning to do to New York and back next spring. ..
I came to the Fiesta from a 2004 Focus SVT. It was a very similar sized car, but was slightly shorter, longer, and wider. And it actually felt more stable than this car, despite being so close in dimensions. Strange. I think we're at the stage where we'll keep our current cars as long as we can.

Wow. You drive the @$%# out of the thing. I've driven to Shelton from Seattle four times this season (one involved back to back track days). But that's really it. My Audi S4 wagon cruiser is what we mostly use for long trips, but even then I'm talking about trips to Vancouver, BC and Portland. Much longer than that and I prefer flying in if possible and renting a car or using a cab (depending on why/what/when/where).

^^^EXACTLY!! [twothumb]

I am in the same boat, and I would rather end it all right now, then drive a stereotypical, 'given', "go to" old timers' car (currently an Avalon, or Camry, which I HATE anyways! ;) ) for the rest of my days. [nono]

This car makes one look forward to driving, instead of it being a dreaded, point a to point B, appliance piloting, 'chore'! [:)]
I've been on the cusp of "early" retirement since February, although it appears now that actual retirement is going to be deferred due to some long-term contract work that has landed. Some of that could turn into a job. TBD. We inherited a akind of frost/mint green MY2000 Toyota Avalon from my mom in 2011. That became my daughter's HS commuter and then she took it off to the UW. It's landed back here while she's been out of town for a few weeks. I think she'll take it back. If not, we'll probably just drive it as an alternative till the wheels fall off (like that will ever happen). It is incredibly reliable, although it is also incredibly mushy. It's a great car to drive to the airport and leave in a parking lot. LOL. We have other cars, including Frankenfiesta, that are more enjoyable. Some day, a small plug-in car is highly likely to become or main transport.