Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Dipstick design issues?

Hey guys, don’t want to sound like a total idiot here but does anyone else have issues reading the dipstick on the ST? On my car I read it and I just see patches of oil all over but never a consistent level where the oil level should be. It’s like I have oil on the top and bottom triangles but nothing in the middle.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hey guys, don’t want to sound like a total idiot here but does anyone else have issues reading the dipstick on the ST? On my car I read it and I just see patches of oil all over but never a consistent level where the oil level should be. It’s like I have oil on the top and bottom triangles but nothing in the middle.
There is thread on this already...ill try to find it with the search button....Hold on.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

I always take my dipstick out and let the car sit for a while for the oil to drip down to the pan and settle and it usually works out really well every time.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Judging by the color of your car, it looks like you have an earlier year. There were a couple of changes in dipstick design through the years, I believe the later one is easier to read. You might consider substituting it.

OP
GreenEnvyFiST908
Thread Starter #6
I always take my dipstick out and let the car sit for a while for the oil to drip down to the pan and settle and it usually works out really well every time.

Honestly thats what ive done, just let the car sit for like an hour and then go check

OP
GreenEnvyFiST908
Thread Starter #8
And when you do that, the oil is still all over the dip stick?

Pretty much all over, oil change is very recent so its hard to see but if I look hard enough I can see oil and it tends to gather up at the top and bottom of the two bumps, with a very thin almost un noticable amount on the ridged part of the stick

Pretty much all over, oil change is very recent so its hard to see but if I look hard enough I can see oil and it tends to gather up at the top and bottom of the two bumps, with a very thin almost un noticable amount on the ridged part of the stick
As Capri to ST said, it sounds like you have the previous design dip stick. I have the flat design with the cutouts for min & max and I guess that new design works better so it has never been a problem for me. I used to be an oil change tech and found that letting car sit for a few minutes after turning off the engine with the dip stick out helps the measure come out on point. When you let it sit and settle, do you have the dip stick out of the engine? If not, try that and see if you have better luck.

OP
GreenEnvyFiST908
Thread Starter #10
Inter
As Capri to ST said, it sounds like you have the previous design dip stick. I have the flat design with the cutouts for min & max and I guess that new design works better so it has never been a problem for me. I used to be an oil change tech and found that letting car sit for a few minutes after turning off the engine with the dip stick out helps the measure come out on point. When you let it sit and settle, do you have the dip stick out of the engine? If not, try that and see if you have better luck.

Interesting, yeah my car is a 2014 so probably the original design. I'll try letting it sit with the dipstick out next time, thanks!

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I fucking hate my dipstick. It's the only part of this car I hate other than the blend door actuators. Do any of you guys have the Whoosh Motorsports version? If it is easiest to read, I'll spring for one.

Fiestig

Which one is that? Would you please post a pic?
Here are different orientations in different lighting. Keep in mind that it would be much more difficult with something other than royal purple, but then I would just get it in the light and you can tell pretty easy. I have the ribbed corkscrew looking dipstick on FiST #2 and that is terrible with a capital ERRIBLE

20210330_165829.png 20210330_170036.png

OP
GreenEnvyFiST908
Thread Starter #19
Here are different orientations in different lighting. Keep in mind that it would be much more difficult with something other than royal purple, but then I would just get it in the light and you can tell pretty easy. I have the ribbed corkscrew looking dipstick on FiST #2 and that is terrible with a capital ERRIBLE

View attachment 39349 View attachment 39350
Man I wish I had that one, looks a million times easier to read than mine

OP
GreenEnvyFiST908
Thread Starter #20

View attachment 39349 View attachment 39350
this is mine after letting the car sit for the past day, and after pulling it out obnoxiously slowly.

Attachments