Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Dirty Intake Valves (am I watching too many YouTube videos?)

I’ve been watching videos about carbon and gunk buildup on the intake valves for direct injected engines. How many folks have had them cleaned and at how many miles? I’m just at 25000 miles. Should I even worry about it?

I done 71 thousand kilometers and never cleaned them but I have an oil catch can.. 2014 fiesta ST.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

Don't over think it.

The 1.6 is designed with internal catch can.

Its not 100% effective, but it works.

If you're stock or similar, dont worry about it. My 2 cents.

I’ve been watching videos about carbon and gunk buildup on the intake valves for direct injected engines. How many folks have had them cleaned and at how many miles? I’m just at 25000 miles. Should I even worry about it?

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
I think about it daily and loose sleep over it also

I'm ready to take off my intake manifold and clean the valves

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
68k. And no catch can, it's a lie people believe in. There has been threads of people who had one since new and their valves looked the same as one without with the same mileage. There is no fix for a car with DI. Only real way is to get in there and clean them. I'm guessing walnut blasting like the German crowd does.

Once I get some spare money I'll buy all new gaskets for the intake manifold and pay to get it walnut blasted. Until then ill just think about it daily smh

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Mitch at CP-E used to do the walnut shell blasting at their Baltimore facility.

Now that they've moved to South Carolina, I am not gonna drive all the way there, and stay over just to get this done (I will have to find a local place to do this in 40K miles or so). :(

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
If you saw the gunk that comes out of my catch can every six months you'd think differently.
I drain mine every 3k usually and I constantly get about 4-6 ozs. of material. I am satisfied with my Damond OCC ....Something is better than nothing...IMO.[raceflag]

I find that my engine doesn't have lazy days anymore after installing the catch can.. plus that oil that comes out of mine is definitely better off not going back in and straight on to my intake valves.
I drain mine every 3k usually and I constantly get about 4-6 ozs. of material. I am satisfied with my Damond OCC ....Something is better than nothing...IMO.[raceflag]

Just get an inspection camera that connects to your phone and stick it into the throttle body... Then you can see how dirty they are... I have done 71 thousand kilometers in my FiST and only got a catch can about 10k ago..

Just use good oil and regular oil/filter changes plus premium fuel and don't drive it too soft fkn ring it's neck like 5500rpm at least a few times every time you drive it but only when fully warmed up..
I think about it daily and loose sleep over it also

I'm ready to take off my intake manifold and clean the valves

Every once and a while...? I drive mine extremely hard then lol... I do find it hard to rev it right out tho just because of the low speed limits here as 2nd gear hits the speed limit before 4500rpm so gotta hook 3rd then cruze in 4th... Gotta hit the highway to give it a good screaming lol...
These cars need "Italian tune-ups".

Just drive them hard every once in a while.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have an endoscope..... I would like to get auxiliary fuel of some nature either throttle body injection or port injection sooner than later.[rockon]

I have a Damond catch can and use CRC intake valve cleaner when I change the oil at 5000 mile intervals. I also use Valvoline Modern Engine oil, which is designed for DI engines. So I feel I’m doing all I can, and I don’t worry about it beyond that.

Throttle body injection would be a lot cheaper than port.. I never thought of that..
I have an endoscope..... I would like to get auxiliary fuel of some nature either throttle body injection or port injection sooner than later.[rockon]

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
I was all into the OCC when I got the car and I started digging. People with out them, valves looked just at bad so meh