Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Do I need an exhaust heat wrap?

Hey guys, I installed a DHM turbo kit a couple of days ago and I noticed how hot the manifold gets now that it's bigger and there's no heat shield. I'm worried about the cowl melting and getting burned by all the heat that rises. Is it safe to run like this? Has anybody been running this kit or something similar without heat wrap or heatshield?

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Heat is the enemy of everything under the hood to some extent. I would absolutely wrap that up. It would help performance a tiny bit as exhaust gase velocity would increase as well.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'd contact DHM or the seller and ask them about it.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^DHM is LONG, LONG GONE. [:(]

He will have to reach out to tuners, maybe Peron, or Ron @whoosh.

I would probably just Cerakote everything, and then build (or have fabricated) an aluminum or stainless steel heat shield of some sort, especially given the tropical climate where Eldrote lives.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
This is the exact reason everything for my DHM360R kit will get ceramic coated BUT* the Turbo exhaust housing due to heat cycling. The Manifold...screamer piper and Dp will all get coated as I have done the same with my entire Thermal R&D exhaust except the Tips.;) Best idea EVER FOR ANY EXHAUST! Wrapping things are a NO GO as they tend to hide ISSUES and collect dirt....grime and road debris and sometimes flammable vehicle Fluids and that my fellow Fisters equals Car-B-que Time.

Last edited:
OP
Eldrote
Thread Starter #7
Thanks guys for all the help! I'll consider the cerakote or wrapping the parts, but for now, I don't have the time to take everything off the car. Is it still safe to use with the cowl installed?

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Is it still safe to use with the cowl installed?
No idea. You'll just have to keep an eye on it. If you're really worried it might melt, remove it until you can address it further, or just open your hood when you turn it off for a few minutes when it's practical.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
This is the exact reason everything for my DHM360R kit will get ceramic coated BUT* the Turbo exhaust housing due to heat cycling. The Manifold...screamer piper and Dp will all get coated as I have done the same with my entire Thermal R&D exhaust except the Tips.;) Best idea EVER FOR ANY EXHAUST! Wrapping things are a NO GO as they tend to hide ISSUES and collect dirt....grime and road debris and sometimes flammable vehicle Fluids and that my fellow Fisters equals Car-B-que Time.
+1

Wrap is a far superior insulator but, in my experience, requires maintenance and love. I had a street-driven turbo-ed Mustang with wrapped exhaust manifolds that needed attention every 6 months or so and I knew so because I could see them.

My thoughts are that Cerakote is perfectly adequate for a street/strip FiST and wrap should be considered on a track car with the understanding that it needs babysitting, as do most things on a track car.

OP
Eldrote
Thread Starter #10
+1

Wrap is a far superior insulator but, in my experience, requires maintenance and love. I had a street-driven turbo-ed Mustang with wrapped exhaust manifolds that needed attention every 6 months or so and I knew so because I could see them.

My thoughts are that Cerakote is perfectly adequate for a street/strip FiST and wrap should be considered on a track car with the understanding that it needs babysitting, as do most things on a track car.
Maintenance is the less I worry about, really. She isn't my daily so I have time to take care of her at least.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Maintenance is the less I worry about, really. She isn't my daily so I have time to take care of her at least.
But do you have time to pull the manifold off to re-wrap every season or so? My FiST has become a track toy (and garage queen w/ COVID) but, even so, having to pull all the plumbing required to get at the manifold is too much of a PITA for me; I Cerakoted the manifold and reflective-foiled the cross-over with no problems even on hot track days.

OP
Eldrote
Thread Starter #13
But do you have time to pull the manifold off to re-wrap every season or so? My FiST has become a track toy (and garage queen w/ COVID) but, even so, having to pull all the plumbing required to get at the manifold is too much of a PITA for me; I Cerakoted the manifold and reflective-foiled the cross-over with no problems even on hot track days.
Maybe I will, but probably I'm going to get tired of the same thing over and over. The solution would be to take it off again and coat it or make a custom heatshield to keep the heat under the cowl and the intake pipe.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
If you wanted to make a heat shield, use the same process ford used and have it bolt directly to the exhaust flange location. I second the wrap solution though and a turbo blanket. It just takes time. Cerakote would be the maintenance free option and it just depends on you but I prefer the best. I personally use heat wrap and gold foil tape because the crossover and exhaust are so close.

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

make and exhaust shield will probably be enough for a street car. something simple will still be very effective

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
If nothing's melting, I think you're OK.
This exactly. If you can't smell burning plastic your fine. What I was recommending is for performance let's clear that up right now. Heat management can greatly improve engine performance and my recommendations are based on that.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
This exactly. If you can't smell burning plastic your fine. What I was recommending is for performance let's clear that up right now. Heat management can greatly improve engine performance and my recommendations are based on that.

I replaced crossover and turbo inlet with ceramic coated ones as soon as I realized the exhaust mani heat shield wasn't going back in. Suppose I'll call that good enough until I melt the cowl or something else under there!