Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Do you use a Wash Brush or Sponge on your Fiesta ST?

Harvick

1000 Post Club

I recently purchased the Carrand 93089 Flow-Thru 10" Wash Brush with 68" Extension Pole from Amazon a few months ago to make winter washing easier and now end up using it more than a sponge. I'm still fearful of getting micro scratches on my car and may end up reverting back to the sponge.

What about you guys? Do you use a brush or sponge when washing your car?

I would not use either of those two options. Sponges don't pick up dirt, they just wipe it around which will scratch. If I were to use a brush I'd probably go with one made of natural animal hair. Most are about four times the amount of the one above. They are convenient and if I was doing a big truck, trailer, etc.. I'd go that route. But I find they are harder to really get clean and take more care to keep fresh.

A nice microfiber or wool/sheepskin mitt works best. Picks up and pulls the dirt away from the paint, and can be washed out easily to remove all contaminates. microfiber mitts are cheap enough that if you drop it in sand or it starts to get dirty or worn, you can toss and replace for 5-6$. Wool ones cost a bit more but last longer as well.

In the Winter wear a thin fleece glove and put a rubber glove like the ones they sell for washing dishes or for an even thicker larger glove the ones for handling chemicals. Keeps your hands warm and dry.

I wouldn't use a brush on my car... As crzyworm said, if it were a truxk, boat, trailer, etc that would be one thing. I use a microfiber sponge or mitt (I have both).

OP
Harvick

Harvick

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look at getting some microfiber mitts.

I wouldn't use a brush on my car... As crzyworm said, if it were a truxk, boat, trailer, etc that would be one thing. I use a microfiber sponge or mitt (I have both).
Please don't use a brush on your car I know winter washing stinks but listen to the advice from gojagz and pick up a microfiber sponge or mitt. I have both as well and like the microfiber sponge a little more because it holds more soap in the foam but they're both great options. I use the mitt on my wheels and suggest having a separate mitt/sponge for the wheels and body. Any type of brush no matter what it says on the package or description will scratch your paint. I've been professionally detailing cars for the last fifteen years and I'm always taking surface scratches from brushes out of customers cars.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Just using a snow brush beats the crap out of our cars in winter ... Can't wait to get after it with a lil Clay and some TLC ...

Just using a snow brush beats the crap out of our cars in winter ... Can't wait to get after it with a lil Clay and some TLC ...
I know they cleaned my car off at the dealership with one just before I picked it up, I'm lucky it didn't put any surface scratches in it.

Sekred

1000 Post Club
The missus usually cleans mine, not sure what she uses but does a dam fine job I must say.

Car wash.jpg

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Use the two bucket method when washing your car. Also use a high quality mitt to soap it. Drying is a art form. Start from the top and work your way down.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Still haven't picked up a second bucket - I just spray out my towel each time after soaping up a section.
It works but having two buckets is more convient and does a better job at lifting the particles out. Towel? BE sure to use a quality mitt. This makes all the difference in the transfer of dirt.

A lot of good advice here. The one thing I would add to the recommendations is using a grit guard in the wash bucket. It effectively keeps the mitt/sponge separate from the "dirt" that settles to the bottom.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
A lot of good advice here. The one thing I would add to the recommendations is using a grit guard in the wash bucket. It effectively keeps the mitt/sponge separate from the "dirt" that settles to the bottom.
Excellent addition to any detail kit!